I'm not entirely convinced that this is as detrimental to Best Buy as some people think.  There have been a ton of people who order records hoping for the $10, but they end up being shipped.  That's money for Best Buy that they might not have gotten otherwise.  They've earned a bunch of new customers.  I'm sure I'm not the only one in this thread who had never bought vinyl from BB before.  They're also moving a lot more product in a market that I'm sure they've not been very competitive in.  Plus, these orders are also helping them update their inventory counts, which we see every time something changes to "sold out online."

In short, there are plenty of reasons to believe that this program, even when "exploited," is still beneficial to BB.  Personally, I believe that even with the "exploit" BB's benefits still outweigh the costs.

I placed 1 order with nothing but the intention of getting what I paid for. The fact that Best Buy is so damn stupid that they keep sending me refunds and credits is the karma THEY have coming to THEM for running mom and pop music stores out of business by offering loss leader music to sell appliances.

Also the kid that plays guitar hero in the store for 5 hours a day is part of that karma too.

I'm not entirely convinced that this is as detrimental to Best Buy as some people think.  There have been a ton of people who order records hoping for the $10, but they end up being shipped.  That's money for Best Buy that they might not have gotten otherwise.  They've earned a bunch of new customers.  I'm sure I'm not the only one in this thread who had never bought vinyl from BB before.  They're also moving a lot more product in a market that I'm sure they've not been very competitive in.  Plus, these orders are also helping them update their inventory counts, which we see every time something changes to "sold out online."

In short, there are plenty of reasons to believe that this program, even when "exploited," is still beneficial to BB.  Personally, I believe that even with the "exploit" BB's benefits still outweigh the costs.

very, very solid points.

I placed 1 order with nothing but the intention of getting what I paid for. The fact that Best Buy is so damn stupid that they keep sending me refunds and credits is the karma THEY have coming to THEM for running mom and pop music stores out of business by offering loss leader music to sell appliances.

Also the kid that plays guitar hero in the store for 5 hours a day is part of that karma too.

Um, ok? 

Ain't nothing wrong with a lil' scamming, as long as it's not hurting the little guy and it's not illegal. This is neither.

I haven't participated in this Best Buy thing at all, but it reminds me of a loophole I found and exploited many, many years ago: There used to be an online retailer called Music Boulevard which was more or less the direct competitor to CDNow (no one under the age of 25 or so probably has ever heard of either of these companies). Back in the late ’90s, I remember Music Boulevard offered a $10 off coupon for any new account—and interestingly, the $10 would cover shipping, too. So essentially, any item in their store that was $7 or less was completely free.

I ordered quite literally hundreds of items over the ensuing months, each time making a new account with a dummy email address (all of which redirected to my actual email address). The mailing address was the same for every order; the only thing I would change would be the recipient's name. I had packages addressed to Fox Mulder, Dana Scully, Amanda Hugginkiss, I. P. Freely, etc. — and they would arrive by the dozens every few days. If it was under $7, I would order it, whether or not I knew who it was. I actually ended up finding a lot of my favorite bands this way, because they stocked vinyl from Asian Man, SST, etc. and they were all priced at $6.99. (This is actually how I got my copy of Alkaline Trio's Goddamnit and Tuesday's Freewheelin' back in the day, too.) If I didn't like it, I would sell it to my local record store.

I probably got off somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 orders, all going to the exact same address, before my parents intervened and would ground me for every package I opened. (I took the punishment; it was worth it.)

Eventually, Music Boulevard was bought out by CDNow (which was then later bought out by Amazon), and the coupon was gone. The funny thing was all of those dummy email accounts then got added to CDNow's mailing list, and I started getting bombarded with 400-500 emails daily about their new products. Whoops!

In short: There is literally zero reason I should've been able to scam that company that hard for that long, but the onus of responsibility falls on the company to actually pay attention to their business. I didn't do anything illegal; I just found a loophole and exploited it, like all the best politicians in America.

I don't want to get into an ethics debate on a vinyl collecting forum.  But, as someone who has and is continuing to get and use these codes, I want to say my justification- if BB actually shipped any records I ordered I'd be happy.  So I don't feel bad about ordering records I ACTUALLY WANT.  

The mailing address was the same for every order; the only thing I would change would be the recipient's name. I had packages addressed to Fox Mulder, Dana Scully, Amanda Hugginkiss, I. P. Freely, etc. — and they would arrive by the dozens every few days. 

Opening other people's mail is a federal offense, so if you want to get technical you did something illegal. :P Maybe one could argue multiple personality disorder to get out of that charge since none of the people you ordered it for existed haha. 

I think both parties are to blame here, you can't offer something like this without people exploiting it.  And taking advantage of this isn't the most honest thing to do.  With the amount of exploitation that has been admitted to in this thread I am really surprised they haven't stopped it.

why would BB give away $10 promo codes to customers for items they could not fullfill?

A: as an apology for failing to do the one thing a STORE should be able to do: fullfill orders that are active in their store. They took YOUR MONEY without even having the item on hand to sell to you. If they didn't apologize, I would not continue to shop there

why would BB not STOCK the items they are selling?

A: COST SAVINGS! by passing on the inventory 'holding' burden to the original supplier/distributor, BB saves $$$$. A lot of $$$

BB's system takes an order (your money) for items in their store, then contacts the distributor so they can obtain the item and ship it out to you. BB never has to hold that inventory in their warehouse(or if they do, it is in small qty's)!

Sq footage is expensive/valuable, large investment to build new storage facility, recurring cost to keep open(utilities, employees to run facility, etc), and in some cases they may even LEASE or RENT extra storage space.

anyone who has studied logistics/industrial engineering may be familiar with the term 'pull system': a downstream operation (Best Buy) waits for a signal (the customer ordering a product they don't currently have in stock), and proceeds to 'pull' the needed inventory from an upstream operation (the distributor). This is very cost effective for BB since they do not carry the cost/burden of the inventory... the upstream process does

by implementing this system, they are able to offer a large selection of items without taking on the cost to store it --maybe they reduced their monthly lease cost? or shutdown 1 or 2 storage facilities? or just freed up enough space in their current facilities that they no longer needed to build a brand new 8Million dollar warehouse for expansion in 2013....

so what happens when the 'pull system' fails and they cannot obtain the item that they already took an order for from their customer? The customer is mad, and rightly so. BB is giving out $10 coupons as an apology in hopes that they keep your business for other vinyl purchases... or other big tickets items with a larger margin

BB has failed at setting up safe guards to protect against abuse --the systems team that setup the automated 'apology coupon system' should have covered their bases/put upper and lower limits on coupons sent out per user/per item limit so people cant get coupons for the same item over and over/etc. this is a fail on BB's part.

but does it really matter to them? probably not. the $10,000 they lost the last month in giving out apology coupons is ignored by the Logistics Manager who implemented the pull system that saved them Hundreds of Thousands this year in reduced storage/facility costs.

Ordered

Offspring - smash - cancelled $10 code given. (Pre ordered new boozoo bajou 10" with it)

Still Pending....

Cave singers - no witch

Mastodon (I forget which)

Kinda hope these 2 ship! But its been a few weeks.

Also ordered and received five finger death punch - war is the answer. Not my thing so ill prawlly gift it out. Or trade?

See, this is where I'm confused. One person says they don't charge till ship, another says they hold it till it ships.

Just to clarify, I didn't use the paypal option, I just put down my debit card info. I checked my bank account and it indeed took the funds out of my card already. 

The "pending" is just an authorization. All it is doing is telling Best Buy that you have enough money in your account (or credit) for the transaction. With debit card the card holder's bank can hold the money up to 30 days after the transaction. It varies by bank. Credit cards will drop the authorization the moment the charge gets processed. Always use a credit cards for transactions that authorize (hotels, gas, bestbuy.com, etc..)

I don't want to get into an ethics debate on a vinyl collecting forum.  But, as someone who has and is continuing to get and use these codes, I want to say my justification- if BB actually shipped any records I ordered I'd be happy.  So I don't feel bad about ordering records I ACTUALLY WANT.  

Yup. These exactly