Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

.... because boxes, bubble wrap, employees to work, warehouses to store and pack the records are all free?

Well that explains it.  $1.50 worth of box, bubblewrap, and tape = a $20 markup over actual costs and lying about why they have a $20 markup? They only charge $7 to ship a regular LP which is only a couple bucks over the actual shipping costs. So that explanation just doesn't cut it. Every single person who ordered it should have received a mint box. And if anyone chooses to return them because of damage etc they won't have to refund that extra $20 they pocketed from shipping like they would have if it was included in the box price. $135 is still a decent price for an item like this so you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me if they didn't straight up lie about it.

Well that explains it.  $1.50 worth of box, bubblewrap, and tape = a $20 markup over actual costs and lying about why they have a $20 markup? They only charge $7 to ship a regular LP which is only a couple bucks over the actual shipping costs. So that explanation just doesn't cut it. Every single person who ordered it should have received a mint box. And if anyone chooses to return them because of damage etc they won't have to refund that extra $20 they pocketed from shipping like they would have if it was included in the box price. $135 is still a decent price for an item like this so you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me if they didn't straight up lie about it.

"Just doesn't cut it"

"Lying"

"Pocketed"

"Straight up lie"

You're using some pretty extreme, loaded language to describe a situation that we have very little info about.  I agree that it's an oversight in packaging to allow these things to arrive banged up.  The band/distributor should address that.  But you're going to drive yourself mad with this nefarious "they're out to rob me" narrative you're building around a high but not unheard of shipping cost.  Allow the band and people involved to finish sending all the packages out and address concerns about shipping quality before we accuse them of stealing and lying $20.

I think you are balls deep crazy! 

Cake just released their entire catalogue on vinyl for $99.  8 multi colored, remastered beautiful records on heavy weight vinyl for $99....with the chance of a test press!

Let's simply things and look at it from the band's perspective. People are paying $300 on Ebay for this.....wait a second, if people are buying it for $300, why didn't Cake sell it for $300?  Oh yeah, because that wouldn't defeat the purpose of putting the music in the hands of the fans that have supported them over the years.  Cake didn't do this for money...period!  The markup on shipping is because someone has to handle distribution.  Do the members of Cake have the time to place 8 records in a beautiful box, tape the box up and send it to you?  Hell No....and neither do I!

Yes, $35 is a lot, but if someone here makes a regular habit of purchasing 8 records (maybe 9 if  your lucky) at a time and having them shipped, then I'm guessing the cost isn't that far off. 

Ok...so WHAT IF ConneXtion is making a profit on shipping of $20 per unit?  What if there were 400 extra units that needed to be shipped?  Holy crap...ConneXtion just had a Gross Sale of $8,000 (of course, this is all hypothetical).  But...they had to pay for the time someone spent taping the boxes, placing and printing the labels....answering a ridiculous amount of emails from the fans.  It's time consuming, laborious and really, really hard work.

Either way you cut it, nobody is making money off this....there is no conspiracy theory.

What is remaining is a band that had a much higher demand than expected.  That band was a big reason people were first in line to buy records from a local record shop.  What is remaining is a band that is trying to appease the fans. 

What remains is Connextion working their ass off and trying to resolve all of the orders that were placed...and probably not making dick off of this...without one complaint.  I'd say Connextion got handed the short straw on this transaction and handled it like champs!

This is a classic

I'd bet at the end of the day, the only people that are losing on this are:

1) Cake

2) ConneXtion

The winners are lucky f'ers like me (and everyone on this thread) that was able to buy this boxset for $99, have it shipped to my house for $35 and all I literally did was pay someone online..... and then the boxset showed up at my house!

Pretty jealous of everyone who has managed to get their hands on one of these boxes so far! I missed out on RSD (I don't think they were even distributed in Australia) and I missed out on the first online sale, hopefully I manage to get in a preorder for the next lot. Will be kicking myself if I miss it again.

$35 for postage doesn't seem too bad for a box of 8 records... but on saying that I'm pretty use to crazy prices to get things posted to Australia. Even at the $50 or $60 (or whatever it was) for the international shipping on the box was pretty good in my opinion. It cost me $150 to get the AOF box set posted too me... that was hard to swallow.

Cause ya know if a small company wants to make a dollar to feed their family, they must be scamming us!

I have a pitchfork.. do you have a torch? We could start an angry mob!  

But alas I feel lazy, I'll just enjoy some digital Cake while I patiently wait for the boxset I happily paid $60 to have shipped.

.... The box and the bubble wrap were the smaller expense compared to running a business and paying employees.

Cause ya know if a small company wants to make a dollar to feed their family, they must be scamming us!

I have a pitchfork.. do you have a torch? We could start an angry mob!  

But alas I feel lazy, I'll just enjoy some digital Cake while I patiently wait for the boxset I happily paid $60 to have shipped.

.... The box and the bubble wrap were the smaller expense compared to running a business and paying employees.

This. 

I don't believe the band when they say they are breaking even on this.  I'd be surprised if they're not losing money on it.

You probably wouldn't bat an eye if this was priced as a flat $135 ppd, but because they broke it down to $100 for the set and $35 for shipping, everyone is upset?  If No Idea came out and said their LPs cost $2, but they charge $10 shipping, would you raise an angry mob then?  At the end of the day it's still the same price to get to your house.

I'm starting to think this hobby might not be for you.  

I don't believe the band when they say they are breaking even on this.  I'd be surprised if they're not losing money on it.

You probably wouldn't bat an eye if this was priced as a flat $135 ppd, but because they broke it down to $100 for the set and $35 for shipping, everyone is upset?  If No Idea came out and said their LPs cost $2, but they charge $10 shipping, would you raise an angry mob then?  At the end of the day it's still the same price to get to your house.

Let's not try to inject reason and logic into all of this.