Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

Thought this might be interesting for people to see.  This is from the band's management to another guy on another forum.

"Dear XXX,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We have also been following your Facebook posts.

I want to be clear about something here… after last year’s RSD experience [with the CAKE 7” vinyl teaser disc], the band and I vowed to find a way to make certain all CAKE listeners had a fair opportunity to purchase a box set. In keeping with this approach, last year we very clearly communicated our plan to launch a mail-order option to the RSD people — and they agreed to our wish, only asking that we do so AFTER Record Store Day was over, and of course we compiled.

CAKE never once stated there would only be 900 vinyl box sets available. The independent retailers may have taken it upon themselves to promote that particular angle, but I can assure you that CAKE was not aware of that approach, nor would we have condoned it.

I think you would agree that the box set is of very high quality — we did not spare any expense, we did not cut any corners. The fact is, we are essentially breaking even on this project, so I can assure you that profit was not our motivation during any of the decisions made… unlike the many e-bay trolls whose only motivation is money, not the love of music.

Regarding the fans that elected to purchase box sets on e-bay, we did advise everyone on April 20, the day after RSD, that another opportunity to purchase the box set would available shortly.

The band and I sincerely believe in the true spirit behind Record Store Day. However, there simply may be too many headaches involved to continue participating — which is sad. At the end of the day, we worked very hard to deliver something very special to ALL CAKE fans, not simply the ones lucky enough to be in the right place, at the right time.

Best,
Tommy

I have a few points about this.

* Regarding the 900 number, that has stayed consistent since stores were solicited on the set since Black Friday last year by Think Indie, before the set was delayed.  Nobody from the band ever contradicted nor made any official statement stating that that number was incorrect from November until the set was released in April.  In addition, I even e-mailed Chris @ BullMoose to see if he could use his RSD connections to plead with the band to add additional copies to the pressing run for 2014, after it was delayed last year.

* If the original plan was to always offer it to fans after the fact and the RSD folks were ok with that, then there most have been a miscommunication somewhere.  Had that been the case, the box set would have been listed as an "RSD First" release instead of being listed as a Limited/Regional release.

* As for them trying to get sets to all fans....I applaud their zeal, but they somewhat created this monster.  Had there been better planning/communication then there might not have been this mad rush to get in line on RSD at 3am to get a set, nor would there have been such a demand for stores to mark up the set above their requested SRP of $129.99, which most stores did.  After all, they had one of the more "buzzed" and discussed items released, so isn't that what they wanted?  Participating in RSD usually means that some fans will always be disappointed, because they can't press enough to appease everyone.

I just find it hard to believe that they were so oblivious to as they claim. 

Thought this might be interesting for people to see.  This is from the band's management to another guy on another forum.

"Dear XXX,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We have also been following your Facebook posts.

I want to be clear about something here… after last year’s RSD experience [with the CAKE 7” vinyl teaser disc], the band and I vowed to find a way to make certain all CAKE listeners had a fair opportunity to purchase a box set. In keeping with this approach, last year we very clearly communicated our plan to launch a mail-order option to the RSD people — and they agreed to our wish, only asking that we do so AFTER Record Store Day was over, and of course we compiled.

CAKE never once stated there would only be 900 vinyl box sets available. The independent retailers may have taken it upon themselves to promote that particular angle, but I can assure you that CAKE was not aware of that approach, nor would we have condoned it.

I think you would agree that the box set is of very high quality — we did not spare any expense, we did not cut any corners. The fact is, we are essentially breaking even on this project, so I can assure you that profit was not our motivation during any of the decisions made… unlike the many e-bay trolls whose only motivation is money, not the love of music.

Regarding the fans that elected to purchase box sets on e-bay, we did advise everyone on April 20, the day after RSD, that another opportunity to purchase the box set would available shortly.

The band and I sincerely believe in the true spirit behind Record Store Day. However, there simply may be too many headaches involved to continue participating — which is sad. At the end of the day, we worked very hard to deliver something very special to ALL CAKE fans, not simply the ones lucky enough to be in the right place, at the right time.

Best,

Tommy

I have a few points about this.

* Regarding the 900 number, that has stayed consistent since stores were solicited on the set since Black Friday last year by Think Indie, before the set was delayed.  Nobody from the band ever contradicted nor made any official statement stating that that number was incorrect from November until the set was released in April.  In addition, I even e-mailed Chris @ BullMoose to see if he could use his RSD connections to plead with the band to add additional copies to the pressing run for 2014, after it was delayed last year.

* If the original plan was to always offer it to fans after the fact and the RSD folks were ok with that, then there most have been a miscommunication somewhere.  Had that been the case, the box set would have been listed as an "RSD First" release instead of being listed as a Limited/Regional release.

* As for them trying to get sets to all fans....I applaud their zeal, but they somewhat created this monster.  Had there been better planning/communication then there might not have been this mad rush to get in line on RSD at 3am to get a set, nor would there have been such a demand for stores to mark up the set above their requested SRP of $129.99, which most stores did.  After all, they had one of the more "buzzed" and discussed items released, so isn't that what they wanted?  Participating in RSD usually means that some fans will always be disappointed, because they can't press enough to appease everyone.

I just find it hard to believe that they were so oblivious to as they claim. 

My gut is that they knew people were quoting the 900 number and OK with it since it was true- 900 were sent out for RSD.

The spirit of the email seems to suggest that had they had known that everyone's complaints- "I didn't get a copy!", "I got a copy but I don't want others to get the same edition!", "I got a copy but I paid $400 on eBay!", "I got a copy but I waited in line for 8 hours!", "I got the email store link but it sold out!" "Make more!" "Make less!"- would all use the 900 number as their aggrieved argument trump card, they would have not allowed it to be used as the #1 selling point.

IMO, you can't please everyone.  But, if you know you're going to piss people off, I think it's pretty cool that they decided to incur the wrath over helping more fans get a copy and not for peacing out after a limited run where a third of the sets went to flippers.

I want this so bad is there anywhere to still purchase this for retail!? Thanks.

Go to cakemusic.com and join the mail list.  They'll send you an email sometime in the next few weeks with a link to buy the set.

Or hang out here and use a leaked link and buy a set 3-4 hours before everyone else.

Got mine 2day! Freakin gorgeous set!! No test pressing though. Damn!! Lol

Same here! Without the wonderful individuals on this forum I probably would have had to wait longer for this beautiful box set. Though I didn't get a test press, I feel so lucky to own such a great release. I cannot wait to give all these records a spin!

Thanks! So either way this isn't expected to be released for a few weeks?

I don't recall any dates being shared from the band or the distributor Connexxion in regards to the second pressing/run.  However, some other posters here have shared that they were given a 2-3 week figure for receiving missing LPs.  My guess would be that the next round of box sets will be sold & shipped within that time.

I know I waited forever in line to get this but I also got a ton of other stuff by getting in line that early. This was my main motivator but still got so many other records I can't really complain. Finally spun most of the set and it sounds incredible. A few have minor warps but the audio quality is just superb! Thanks for the info and looking forward to seeing more test presses that people got...thats a pretty cool surprise!

I feel a little sad that people are using my picture to sell the box set on ebay. I took a cool picture, and now it is being used to lure in fans who just want the music. I guess if they were huge fans, they would know more box sets are coming. Either way, knowing some slimey ebay seller chose my picture sell a CAKE box set for 500 dollars is a little disheartening.

I feel a little sad that people are using my picture to sell the box set on ebay. I took a cool picture, and now it is being used to lure in fans who just want the music. I guess if they were huge fans, they would know more box sets are coming. Either way, knowing some slimey ebay seller chose my picture sell a CAKE box set for 500 dollars is a little disheartening.

I hope the buyers open cases because the vinyl doesn't match your picture. There seem to be some variations in color through the pressings. For example my Pressure Chief is clear with a little pink smoke whereas yours was all pink.

Yeah, I've seen some people with a almost black live from crystal palace, and my prolonging the magic looks more like the buttered popcorn jelly belly. Some people have a completely cream version. I've linked up with so many people on Instagram so I could see all the variations. I know a guy who has a completely clear version of Pressure Chief. I'm super happy about my pink marbled translucent one.

The line thing annoys me. Guess what? I was first in line at my store and despite requesting three copies they got zero. The online sale allowed me to fill in a major want. I don't get this shit where people want something for no other reason than it's rarity. At $99 + shipping this is easily one of the best priced sets put out by any band in recent memory. I'd throw it on par with that Lillingtons and Teenage Bottle Rocket sets. I hope you all stay tuned and get a set. Music should be owned as broadly as demand allows it to be. All the whining about this set on the Cake Facebook leads me to hope they don't do shit with RSD again and instead distribute whatever they have up their sleeves via their site as they see fit with none of the craziness. 

I'm still hoping Secretly Canadian does the same with the Songs Ohia box but it isn't looking to swing that way. I give this band massive credit for not taking a huge payday on the backs of their fans and I give them another bump for killing the secondary market for a very in demand item. 

The line thing annoys me. Guess what? I was first in line at my store and despite requesting three copies they got zero. The online sale allowed me to fill in a major want. I don't get this shit where people want something for no other reason than it's rarity. At $99 + shipping this is easily one of the best priced sets put out by any band in recent memory. I'd throw it on par with that Lillingtons and Teenage Bottle Rocket sets. I hope you all stay tuned and get a set. Music should be owned as broadly as demand allows it to be. All the whining about this set on the Cake Facebook leads me to hope they don't do shit with RSD again and instead distribute whatever they have up their sleeves via their site as they see fit with none of the craziness. 

I'm still hoping Secretly Canadian does the same with the Songs Ohia box but it isn't looking to swing that way. I give this band massive credit for not taking a huge payday on the backs of their fans and I give them another bump for killing the secondary market for a very in demand item. 

Backed.