Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

i'll always swear by this one: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=pd_cp_e_0

a lot of people aren't aware of shure's amazing warranty either. if you send in a broken cartridge or stylus within two years (with receipt) they'll replace it for free. 

Right now I have the Ortofon 2M Red that came with my Debut Carbon.. would this be a viable upgrade from that particular one?

I graduated from college (university) in 2008 and im still broke as shit. I pieced mine together very slowly. not that my set up is GREAT but its better than it used to be. the only thing i bought new were speakers and the TT itself. the receiver and tape deck were used. all in all im very happy with my set up considering i have very little disposable income. if you do it right and really search, you can build a good setup for very little cost. i think total, my set up right now cost me about 750...and my tape deck was free.

$750 is not very little cost.

I graduated from college (university) in 2008 and im still broke as shit. I pieced mine together very slowly. not that my set up is GREAT but its better than it used to be. the only thing i bought new were speakers and the TT itself. the receiver and tape deck were used. all in all im very happy with my set up considering i have very little disposable income. if you do it right and really search, you can build a good setup for very little cost. i think total, my set up right now cost me about 750...and my tape deck was free.

only thing i ever bought was my receiver, which was last year and that was around $400. its also my main hub for my tv, xbox, wifi streaming and whatever else.

before that,  i had my dads old pioneer receiver. im still using his old sanyo turntable and his old micro acoustic frm-1 speakers w/ blue covers. i have been looking for the orange covers if anyone knows...haha

same school, same debt.

this is probably a stupid question, but would this cartridge fit on my Technics SL-1210MK2?

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440MLA-Dual-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00009MK3A/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_5_RYP3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H9A0CX6GTVVJSQ050H0

been looking for a good upgrade and i think i might have settled on that one. unless someone had a better suggestion?

Anyone know if it will fit? I can't seem to find any info online.

Finally just hooked up my first setup.  Could not be any happier with the sound. It's a beautiful thing. Went with:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon ($340 - MusiciansFriend)

Marantz PM6004 ($330 - from MusicDirect off of Amazon, was able to save $70 with amazon credit points)

KEF Q300 ($500 Accesories4Less)

Hooked the speakers up with some shitty speaker wire my dad had laying around my parents house. I'll pick up some Blue Jean cables for them once I officially move in to my new place and figure out the placement of everything. Some quality speak stands are next on my list. Will prob pick up a Pure i-20 for streaming audio.

Finally just hooked up my first setup.  Could not be any happier with the sound. It's a beautiful thing. Went with:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon ($340 - MusiciansFriend)

Marantz PM6004 ($330 - from MusicDirect off of Amazon, was able to save $70 with amazon credit points)

KEF Q300 ($500 Accesories4Less)

Hooked the speakers up with some shitty speaker wire my dad had laying around my parents house. I'll pick up some Blue Jean cables for them once I officially move in to my new place and figure out the placement of everything. Some quality speak stands are next on my list. Will prob pick up a Pure i-20 for streaming audio.

I have the same setup. Only difference is I already have blue jeans cables. Nice choices.

Hey guys, 
    I currently have an AT-LP60 (I know, I know) and I have just realized what a horrible mistake this actually was. Luckily, I have only played my records at a max of 3 times each on this player. Hopefully, I have not done a whole lot of damage to these records. Currently, I am just starting my adventure into this vinyl world and would like a little advice. My setup now is:

AT-LP60 --------> Oykyo TX-8255 ---------> older set of bose speakers that are pretty decent

Right now, my main goal is being able to enjoy my records without causing damage to them. After about a month of work, (I'm a college student) I should be able to afford a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or a Rega RP1, and I definitely plan purchasing one. Anyways, would I need any other accessories to make this setup work?

(Rega RP1 -------> Oykyo TX-8255 ---------> older speakers)

This would only be used until I can afford a better receiver/preamp and speakers, but as I said, my main goal is avoiding any potential damage to my collection.

Any advice you guys can provide would be really really awesome! Thanks so much!

Anyways, would I need any other accessories to make this setup work?

(Rega RP1 -------> Oykyo TX-8255 ---------> older speakers)

This would only be used until I can afford a better receiver/preamp and speakers, but as I said, my main goal is avoiding any potential damage to my collection.

Any advice you guys can provide would be really really awesome! Thanks so much!

Not really, as your receiver does have a built in phono preamp already. It will get the job done and at least you won't be damaging your records if the TT is set up properly. And as you've said, when budget allows you can always upgrade preamp/amp/speakers when you are ready.

I recommend reading the first page of this thread if you haven't already for some basic but helpful information. Welcome and good luck

Not really, as your receiver does have a built in phono preamp already. It will get the job done and at least you won't be damaging your records if the TT is set up properly. And as you've said, when budget allows you can always upgrade preamp/amp/speakers when you are ready.

I recommend reading the first page of this thread if you haven't already for some basic but helpful information. Welcome and good luck

Awesome! Thank you so much. I definitely plan on upgrading the receiver to a proper integrated amp, as well as the speakers ASAP. The first page of this thread is awesome, in all honesty I had always assumed that a receiver with a phono input would do the job as well as anything else. Regardless, first and foremost, I need a way to play the few records that I do have safely.

Does anyone have any input toward the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon vs the Rega RP1?

I read that both TT's have had a few various issues, but would like the opinions of people who own them or have owned them...

I found these three items for sale for 95$ total. Any thoughts? I have looked around on the internet and it doesn't seem like a bad deal assuming it all works properly. Just seeing if anyone here had opinions.

Yamaha CR-640 Stereo Receiver

Yamaha P-450 Turntable

Yamaha NS-6 Speakers

Hey guys, building a new system and I have a quick question. 

I am thinking about getting the Marantz PM5004. Would using a Debut Carbon with it yield about the same or worse results than using an integrated amp with no phono input and a separate phono amp? Basically, I am wondering whether or not buying a different integrated amp + a phono preamp will sound better than the all in one Marantz PM5004. 

Thanks!

thinking about getting a new speaker system and my boy mentioned a soundbar.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-F550-2-1-Channel-Soundbar-Black/dp/B00BTCX118/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1390448230&sr=8-15&keywords=soundbar+with+wireless+subwoofer

do these even work with record player set ups? can i run my phono pre amp to it? 

also, whats better -- just buying 2 speakers an a sub or getting a 5.1 system? right now im running 5.1 and was thinking about sticking with it but im torn. 

any help is appreciated!