AGAINST ME! 39th pressing out now!

This RAR pressing/variant thing has gone on so long that it must have become a bit of a "lets see how long we can go" thing, too. If you've already gone as far as this many pressings, why would you stop there? Screw it. Go as long as you can. Lets see if we can get 100 out of this baby.

I'm pretty sure this is some Guinness shit going on right here. 

My unsolicited two cents: No Idea seems to run things exactly how I would if I was on that scale. There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a record that people want in print. It's good for everybody.

(by the way - I'm not in any way, shape or form comparing myself to No Idea. Just sayin' in my opinion a lot of people's priorities in this thread are all out of whack.)

Why does this HAVE to be a cash grab? Why can't it simply be "The record is readily available on cool colors!"?

Variant collectors don't need defending. That's a burden/goal they've put on themselves.

I agree with this. I would think of this more as smart marketing than a "cash grab".  The fact is a huge chunk of the "vinyl resurgence" is a collector based market and anytime something is produce in an "unlimited" quantity you eliminate a massive amount of your potential market.  If you are a hardcore fan then you should already have a copy of this, if you're just discovering AM! then it's awesome that it's readily available, and making the pressings different will attract more casual fans that are more interested in the "collectability".  Independent labels don't run on huge profit margins, so they do what's necessary to pay the bills, seems reasonable to me. If there's demend for the record keep pressing it!   Also if you are buying this after 39 pressings to flip, you are an idiot. 

Freaking elitist bullshit collectors who care more about the ebay value of their vinyl than keeping the music accessible in all formats.

THIS!

I'd really like to know how you think this works. So, a record label guy goes to a pressing plant and says "Hey, I'd like to order unlimited copies of this on black vinyl," "Sure, that would be unlimited dollars." "Here you go." "Thanks, here's your unlimited batch of records."

When a record has an "unlimited" supply, it just means they repress it when the previously pressed copies sell out.

And when you added replace "black" with "color... Well that's exactly what No Idea Does. They order another batch when the previous one sells out. The only difference is they let people know they ran out and ordered another batch. And because it's cheaper/fun they order whichever color the pressing plant has lying around.

Why didn't they order 50.000 copies the first time around? Well who in their right mind would have guessed that RAR would sell more than 1000...

good point thanks for the explanation.  i really have no idea of the heritage of this record.  its easy to see how someone who doesnt know better (like me) would just assume that a label pops up and figures they can make a buck selling a few more variants of an album that seems reasonably collectible.

good point thanks for the explanation. i really have no idea of the heritage of this record. its easy to see how someone who doesnt know better (like me) would just assume that a label pops up and figures they can make a buck selling a few more variants of an album that seems reasonably collectible.

I'd say 98% of all copies of this record are worth about $10. Part of that is the fact that this record has never been out of print, so supply has always been equal to demand. There's no collectibility factor in the 39th pressing of an album.

keeping a classic punk rock record in press so that kids can always buy a cheap copy of it? VAR YOU ARE SUCH AN ASSHOLE.

go outside kids, you really need hobbies if you have the time to bitch about things like this.

I don't follow the band and don't know the person who did this pressings resources, but if you REALLY wanted to make a solid record from a band readily available wouldn't it make sense to to press it in a larger quantity? Like I said, I have no idea of the logistics of it, just seems like if that were the case, press 3,000 or whatever and call it good haha. Variants are cool but 39 pressings is a little insane. Then again, no one said anyone had to buy the variants. Blah.

Goddamnit why is this so hard to fucking understand.

1. There are 325 titles in the No Idea catalog. Almost all of them are in print. If they ordered represses of everything in the 1000s they would have hundreds of thousands of their own releases to store, in addition to CDs and their massive distro. There's just no good reason to bloat their backstock like that, it's much easier to order a few hundred more as titles sell out.
  2. Random colored vinyl is cheaper than black vinyl. That (along with real-live actual DIY ethics) is why No Idea LPs are still $10 when some labels are pushing up to $20 for "deluxe 180 gram splatter colored vinyl".
  3. No one is buying these because they're "collectible". 25 of the RAR variants are purple vinyl. 12 are on grey vinyl. Most copies look like a chewed up muffin wrapper. Colored vinyl != always special collectors vinyl. Spend a week on this board and it should be obvious why they even post pressing info in the first place - because people want it. They neeeeeeed it. wwhhaaatttt isss theeee pressssiiiiinnngggg iiiiinnnnnfffffooooooooooooo
  4. There have been 39 pressings because it has sold through 38 pressings. This should be the easiest part to understand.

No one is buying these because they're "collectible". 25 of the RAR variants are purple vinyl. 12 are on grey vinyl. Most copies look like a chewed up muffin wrapper. Colored vinyl != always special collectors vinyl. Spend a week on this board and it should be obvious why they even post pressing info in the first place - because people want it. They neeeeeeed it. wwhhaaatttt isss theeee pressssiiiiinnngggg iiiiinnnnnfffffooooooooooooo

THIS.

just want to throw in some thoughts..

the second this is stupid comment was in regards to the way everyone was being so whiney with each other.

since then, people stepped up with some very simple logic to explain why 39 pressings is not stupid.

1. There are 325 titles in the No Idea catalog. Almost all of them are in print. If they ordered represses of everything in the 1000s they would have hundreds of thousands of their own releases to store, in addition to CDs and their massive distro. There's just no good reason to bloat their backstock like that, it's much easier to order a few hundred more as titles sell out

I wanted to throw this into the mix.  SPACE, MAN...SPACE!  I can't even imagine what it would look like to run a DIY label without some massive fucking warehouse and to try to store that many records.  

Also, what happens if someone orders 10,000 of these and then interest finally dies down...then what?  They just continue to eat up valuable space.  At least when you buy them in chunks of 500 if people suddenly forget about AM! (because - let's face it - punks are fickle) the amount of records that end up collecting dust are minimal.

So many reason to do it the way that No Idea does...don't question it and just fucking support them.