The Xbox One

I just think that Microsoft is trying to reach out to more people with this new console. I wasn't very impressed with what it has to offer at this moment, although the updated RAM and hard drive are perks. I may be nitpicking, but 15 exclusive games? Doesn't PS3 already have something like 20+? I have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360 and the 360 is better for multiplayer (Battlefield, etc), but the PS3 is a better system. I like the fact of being able to play online for free for the PS3 is nice and if you pay for their Plus service, you get free games and reduced prices for a lot of stuff (a big incentive for buying Sony's subscription service).

The deal breaker for me is how are the games going to look and basically what games the Xbox One is going to offer because for me, that's all I'm going to use the console for

I've read something on Cnet saying that because they switched to a different processor that 360 games won't work, which I think its crap because they're Microsoft they could figure out how to make games work.

Yeah this is such a cop-out. I don't understand the benefits of them not figuring it out. It'll only help them sell more consoles or are they diluted enough to think it'll increase 360 sales?

Yeah this is such a cop-out. I don't understand the benefits of them not figuring it out. It'll only help them sell more consoles or are they diluted enough to think it'll increase 360 sales?

Here's a little more info on the change and why:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-57585541-222/xbox-360-games-wont-work-with-the-xbox-one/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=title

Seems like it's not malicious intent to job the customer into spending more money. Just a change that needed to be made and at some point backwards compatibility will be lost when it happens. If a PS3 didn't play PS2 games you could just pick up a used PS2 on ebay for $20 right now. Assuming it will be the same for the next generation systems. You can still find a way to play old games for cheap. Cool with it.

Since major multiplayer titles that have large communities update annually (which is a problem itself IMO) now the need for backwards isn't as great as the last go round. Of all the things they've said that didn't appeal to me, this one isn't that high. But obviously could be for others. 

End of the day though, I'm sure it just came own to cost of implementation. 

Little known fact: early PS3s have an entire PS2 Emotion Engine system-on-chip for complete compatibility. They also played SACDs.  I bought one like this last year. I love it.

Oh and idk how Microsoft gets away with charging for their online connectivity.. I have to pay for xbox gold just to watch Netflix... come on.

didn't know about that neo geo x, but honestly, if the ps4 could do something like that with the Vita (eg, the portable version runs the majority of the console), I'd pre-order it the second it was available. 

And for games, I went ps3 because it has full backwards compatibility with the ps1/ps2(at least the version I've got before they stripped that away). It would be great to see something like that with ps4, but we won't. Otherwise, how are they going to make you buy a digital copy of the game you already own? ;)

Then again, the only thing I've used my ps3 for in over a year was to watch movies/shows from uTorrent. I think Arkham City and Uncharted III are still in the shrink wrap, haha. The ability to play just about any file is amazing. Now ps3/4 just needs to step up and support HBOGo.

Little known fact: early PS3s have an entire PS2 Emotion Engine system-on-chip for complete compatibility. They also played SACDs.  I bought one like this last year. I love it.

yeah dude, it rules. they used to support linux too. 

I installed ubuntu, downloaded EVERY American NES/SNES/Genesis game to an external hard drive, and used the ps3 as a badass emulator. Wireless controllers + Big Screen + Classic Games = the tits.

yeah dude, it rules. they used to support linux too. 

I installed ubuntu, downloaded EVERY American NES/SNES/Genesis game to an external hard drive, and used the ps3 as a badass emulator. Wireless controllers + Big Screen + Classic Games = the tits.

May do that one day, if you upgrade the firmware does that prevent you from doing what you mentioned?  

I don't have a good reason for why I don't PC game but I don't. And I don't intend to start anytime soon, regardless of the difference in hardware.

I have no intention of jumping to PC anytime soon regardless of smoother graphics and I know I'm just one of probably many millions of people like that.

That seriously baffles me.

didn't know about that neo geo x, but honestly, if the ps4 could do something like that with the Vita (eg, the portable version runs the majority of the console), I'd pre-order it the second it was available. 

And for games, I went ps3 because it has full backwards compatibility with the ps1/ps2(at least the version I've got before they stripped that away). It would be great to see something like that with ps4, but we won't. Otherwise, how are they going to make you buy a digital copy of the game you already own? ;)

Then again, the only thing I've used my ps3 for in over a year was to watch movies/shows from uTorrent. I think Arkham City and Uncharted III are still in the shrink wrap, haha. The ability to play just about any file is amazing. Now ps3/4 just needs to step up and support HBOGo.

Uncharted 3 was OK (too easy) but Batman is Tits!

It's not a bad thing that my PS3 plays PS2 games, but then, I've never taken a PS2 game out of the box since I got a 3. So I really couldn't give a shit either way.

Maybe one day I'll feel nostalgic and want to play God of War 1 or Madden 2005, but hasn't happened yet. If I go "retro", it's always n64 games.

Uncharted 3 was OK (too easy) but Batman is Tits!

It's not a bad thing that my PS3 plays PS2 games, but then, I've never taken a PS2 game out of the box since I got a 3. So I really couldn't give a shit either way.

Maybe one day I'll feel nostalgic and want to play God of War 1 or Madden 2005, but hasn't happened yet. If I go "retro", it's always n64 games.

I'd rebuy PS2 games if they were patched with trophies.

All in all I'm not sold on this new Xbox, hopefully E3 will be jam packed with games (and pricing). I'll buy both consoles if they offer worthwhile exclusives like the current generation but as someone who doesn't even have a cable/dish subscription I feel like I wouldn't get full usage out of the new Xbox and like I said above, I'm gay for trophies haha.

If the Vita tag teams with the PS4 ala the WiiU then I'm sold. I wanna play Infamous on the toilet.

PSN: Dad_Savage

XBL: I_theBIGdirty_I

May do that one day, if you upgrade the firmware does that prevent you from doing what you mentioned?  

yeah sadly. it's been gone for awhile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherOS

I'm sure there are hacks/mods (which may even be listed on that wiki. tl;dr) to get it back, but i've just never looked into it/had the motivation to mod my ps3.

did it with the wii though. that was pretty sweet for awhile. free games + another DVD player ;)

maybe one day I'll feel nostalgic and want to play God of War 1 or Madden 2005, but hasn't happened yet. If I go "retro", it's always n64 games.

i didn't use it so much for ps2 games, but mostly ps1 rpgs like Suikoden I/II, the FF series, and Xenogears. Oh yeah, and Tony Hawk II, cause that game still r00lz

hahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

so.. this may be a dumbass question.. but will they continue to put out games for 360? cause I'm not buying this. From the description the console sounds like it will be a HUGE pain in the ass...

I'm going to guess it will end pretty quickly. From that article above about why they changed their processor architecture, it has a significantly different design process from the 360. Not like before with minor changes between the XBOX and 360. Sure there won't be a day where they just stop making new 360 games forever, though.

Just speculating with a little bit of facts behind it, though.

The last Xbox game came out a few years after the 360. The last PS2 game was published this year (!!), generally the bigger the install base the longer the support. You'll have a lot of games for the 360 for a while, though it'll continue to lose new IPs and get a lot of more ports as the years we are. 

Phil Harrison addressed some of the issues from yesterday: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/phil-harrison-xbox-one/

Doesn't seem as bad as the Internet is making it out to be (shocking!) but there is some stuff that could be a pain, depending on your use-case. Honestly, more than anything else it seems like it'll be up to the developers to, say, require a connection to play vs. supporting 100% offline play. 

I don't think that looking at the previous transition period is going to be a good judge of how long games will be produced for older systems, given that they will not use the same processing architecture. More work to make them compatible for older systems means that the phase out will come quicker.

But if the money is there (ie, people stick with a 360 for now) I'm sure the games will stay too.

In terms of porting, you're probably correct. But since the 360 architecture is well known at this point it can be accounted for when porting over games or be handled by a separate design team with the assets being generated. Really though, like you said, they'll do it so long as they can make a profit. 

I have not heard one good piece of news about the new Xbox. Tethering games to an individual account, forced-online DRM checks, non-removable HDD, and mandatory Kinect hardware are features that will turn off many older gamers. I guess the new d-pad is an improvement, but that's all I've noticed.

Backward compatibility is a big issue for me, since I still regularly play PC games that are 10+ years old. Between playing classic PC games and easily emulating consoles like the NES or SNES on my PC, new consoles have been left in the dust in terms of gaming libraries. And although indie developers have been having some success on consoles; the PC platform has had an explosion of niche games being developed thanks to crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo, and PC gamers have been riding a wave of gloriously-cheap titles thanks to Humble Bundles, Steam/Amazon sales, and all of the other competing digital-distribution platforms.

Now the news coming out is saying that Microsoft isn't going to allow indie developers to self-publish. After the terrible publicity surrounding MS's treatment of indies developing for the 360, this is only going to broaden the gap between Microsoft and their competition. Based on a glaring lack of 360 exclusives, MS's poor support of indie developers, and the shitstorm brewing around the Xbox One, I predict that this will be Microsoft's final console for the foreseeable future.

I just realized that with the whole used games thing that:

You can't rent games

You can't borrow games

You can't take a game over to your friend's house and waste an afternoon

without spending a piece of money to play a game already in your hands.

Read the article posted earlier with Microsoft VP. It explicitly addresses issues like "what if I want to bring a game over a friend's house". There's no issue. Seems pretty smart the way they have set it up. Must have been horribly unclear in how they announced it.

I'll wait until after E3 and some clarification before declaring it DOA.

True, the bungled the announcement but they've sold somewhere around 80 million Xbox 360's to date. That is a lot of defectors for the PS4 to be a run-away success out of the gate. Especially if they try some alternate pricing bundles which could make it more enticing to casual players, or first-time console buyers, if there is such a thing. 

If public sentiment is still this negative after E3, they could have a real problem on their hands.