The Xbox One

I have always been a fan of Microsoft because, as pointed out in the Reddit quote from above, it is what I grew up with. Everyone else was getting PS2s and my cousin and I decided to get Xboxs to play Halo and Counter Strike. We played for hours on end, which are some of the best memories I have of gaming as a kid and with him as well. After realizing that most people had switched over from Xbox and Halo 2, to Xbox 360 and Halo 3, I also made the jump. It was the console I loved, just a new generation. I am biased towards the Xbox One, for this reason. I love the controllers and the exclusive game series (Halo, Forza). I like the OS, from the old dark green, Matrix-y dashboard to blade to how it is now. Unfortunately had to sell my 360 a few months back because I needed money, but I will try my best to invest in an Xbox One as it makes sense to me. One, because of my love for the franchise and two it is a multimedia device. For the people dead set against it, remember we are 5 months away from the actual release so things can change. I have nothing against PS4 really, obviously Sony is doing something right if it's still around hahah!

I'll be buying both, because at the end of the day, it is all about the games.  Both consoles have games I want to play.  I also think that Microsoft is savvy and there is one more games conference yet to come---Gamescon in Germany in late August.  Microsoft has already said they are attending and Rare said during an interview on Spike's E3 coverage that they'll be showing their new Kinect Sports game there.

So Microsoft could have a press conference and state that after careful consideration, they won't do the online check/DRM stuff.  They could also announce a XBOX Used Game marketplace on the cloud to sell games to other Xbox live members giving you credit towards new games (since all games will be both disc/digital going forward)....versus you having to screwed over at Gamestop......or other things to try and win back their fanbase who are jumping ship.

I'm also still waiting on the subsidized offer for the Xbox One that puts the price at $299 with a 2 year commitment for Xbox Live, which most would be buying anyway (probably provided by dsl/cable companies, since you have to get their broadband).

Anyway, my point is, is that if Microsoft wants to try and fix the public nightmare fiasco that they created, but really providing a lack of information---they can do so in Germany, if they want (unless they decide to do something sooner).

Microsoft has deep pockets and will throw a lot of money to win the console war in the United States again....so I wouldn't just write them off just yet.  It will be interesting to watch what transpires between now and when the console actually hits shelves.....I don't think Microsoft has had their final say just yet.

This forced online check thing is bananas. I'm from a small town and in some areas people still can't get cable Internet access. Verizon isn't interested in bringing fios out there. Those people have to use satellite or have no net at all just because of the area they live in. My hometown can't be the only one like this in America.

Also I don't buy new games. I wait a year or more and buy whatever I want when it's in the $20 range. Unless a left 4 dead 3 happens, I'm gonna jump ship to PS4.... In 3 years when the price point comes down.

The more I read about this thing I more intrigued I get to see what the landscape looks like in about a year. I empathize with you Nicky, since they've purposefully written you and others similar situations off as potential customers and that sort of sucks. But as much as people are kicking and screaming over the 24 hour check-in, it is hard to image their idea for digital distribution working without it.

It does come with some benefits though, you can play all of our games remotely on another consoles and you can loan our games remotely as well. Theoretically neat trade-offs, at least for me. Digital also allows for new potential pricing and distribution models. I don't think anyone would argue that they launched this thing about as poorly as could be and they'll pay a price for it in the short term. 

Longer term, I still think it could be an attractive device, especially to people like me who game frequently but also use the 360 as my living room hub. They might message things differently, but I'm having a hard time imagining them announcing big changes in Germany. I could see the subsidized option becoming a reality closer to launch though. Another thing I read was that they might be exploring partnerships with cable providers to subsidize since it'll theoretically integrate with your (some?) cable provider so instead of a Scientific Atlantic box you can get a Xbox for some fee. No idea how true any of that is. 

TL;DR This thing might be cool, I'm going to wait and see. 

I found this on reddit and I thought I'd share 

You know, I can't quote the stupid Reddit post, but the guy crying over cliffhangers and characters he loves going away...

Give me a break, try being a Shenmue fan for 12 years with no outcome to the second game. I would instantly buy the stupid XBOX One(and I hate the specs of this system) if Shenmue HD Collection or the Shenmue 3 sequel finally came out.

--Maybe it's just me but I grew up on great systems like the Genesis, SNES, N64, Dreamcast and these kids grew up on XBOX what are they 15 now? I hate that they don't even know of a variety that is out there. 

Even though they say that the camera will not be used nefariously (they said that about all our data - Snowden), the fact it is always on and always active is a big, big problem for me. Some officials at MS have said that it's only on when it needs to be, if this is the case, then how are some game studios making achievements which unlock if you "jump or appear surprised" or conversely if there's a lack of reaction following a "scary" moment in the game?

Even though they say that the camera will not be used nefariously (they said that about all our data - Snowden), the fact it is always on and always active is a big, big problem for me. Some officials at MS have said that it's only on when it needs to be, if this is the case, then how are some game studios making achievements which unlock if you "jump or appear surprised" or conversely if there's a lack of reaction following a "scary" moment in the game?

I would think that in the middle of a game that has achievements for scaring you is one of the cases it needs to be on. They say you can disable the camera and mic completely in the options, although I'm sure some people will be wary that it's actually off. Then, of course, there's the option to unplug when the console isn't on and the fact that they can't be "spying" on you if you're playing offline.

I don't really care about the Kinect. They couldn't possibly have enough manpower or reason to parse through 24/7 footage of the millions of random people that have the system. Or maybe I'm naive. Either way, if people are concerned about it, the PS4 is the clear option.

• 2 months later...