Vinyl is so trendy AKA does anyone here buy / listen to vinyl?

i just wanted to point out that these ad campaigns and commercials are targeting you specifically as vinyl collectors.  you are the demographic.  They want the cash that happens to be in YOUR wallet. 

does this strike a nerve with anyone? its only been a month since Record Store Day. Have you spent more or less cash on records since April 20th?

I only really got into records about 3 years ago, say ten years ago, circa '02-'03 how much would a new LP cost? I remember not long ago I found a sealed Hidden In Plain View EP at a thrift store and they had a Drive Thru Records mini catalog that had a bunch of records I want to say were about $10 but I don't know for sure.

Most new LPs ten years ago I purchased were $8-13 (I think I paid $9.25 on interpunk for my green taking back Sunday LP)

It's used records at stores where I have seen some of the largest increase. Dollar bins are going away in lieu of $3 or $5 boxes. (At some stores. Others still have some sweet deals)

Old fucks who remember a time when record stores still regularly sold it as a format, or when you'd have to mail order shit, or buy from distros at shows, feel differently about it than other people, I'm sure.

To the OP, what you have to consider was that for decades vinyl was the leading format for music. Tapes dominated the 80s, CDs decreed the 90s, and records were always there in the background.

Maybe its wishful thinking, but I see vinyl resurgences more as a reclamation of power and return to the norm over lesser formats than a trend. But I don't know who's buying records and why.

However, I do see somethings that point to trend a could lead to a collapse.

1. 180 gram record. Record labels will have the consumer believe that 180 gram records are a sonically superior product. Not true. They also claim that 180g records are less prone to warping. Anyone receiving records in the summer knows this is also not true. Almost all my 180g records are warped whereas my thin records are flexible and fine.

2. Colored vinyl. Colored vinyl doesn't always sound worse than black, its really up to the mastering and how worn the stampers are that determine the quality of sound. However, when you get into crazy things like splatters, half and half, and glow in the dark vinyl, you introduce new elements of surface noise that detract from the purpose of a higher auditory experience in order to have something pretty.

3. Consumer fatigue. Here's something no one talks about, but I'm sure all can relate to this pattern:

1. new enthusiast getting started scoffs at record pressed on 5 colors. thinks collectors are fools.

2. complacency sets in with color owned, looks at pretty pictures of variants on the internet

3. decides to buy a variant to see what its like. 

4. has desire to get another

5. becomes hooked, gets the rest, no matter how expensive

6. time passes, records sit on a shelf unlistened to. shelf looks stupid having 5 copies of the same album

7. new pressing is pressed on 3 new colors, buys them all not out of desire, but in order to maintain collection

That's where the consumer fatigue steps in and it could possibly threaten this resurgence of records.

I've been noticing vinyl more and more these days.  

Its in commercials, tv shows, movies, ad campaigns.

artists and labels that would never normally press an album on vinyl are suddenly doing Record Store Day exclusives and box sets.

how does this make the true vinyl lovers feel?

excited that something you love has hit the main stream....

upset because something you love is also loved by many others....

super pissed off because the competition for records you want has gone up....

tell me what you think. or don't. 

A+ fake post

I'm on the border of "Old fucks" and the age group here. My mom enrolled me in Columbia house as a kid and today I still have my Back To The Future soundtrack, Licensed to Ill, and more from then. In the 90's I got into again with grunge and punk mail order. A few years back, in my mid 30s, I got back into it.

Is it a trend, sure, are prices going up, a little (not anything like the price of other things like gas and cell phones) but is it bad... no, not at all. I no longer buy CDs, band shirts (maybe one or two, but not like the past), pins or patches. I buy vinyl. I think its great new bands are pressing vinyl, that long lost greats like Hum and Jellyfish are getting new pressings. For the bands that I'm friendly with its a new source of income. The local record shops that survived the post-napster and Netflix world are starting to see good profit.

I still get $1 David Bowie records at Yard Sales and flea markets. I track down favorites on ebay and here and I pay a little over retail. But I'm also doing ok with selling off some of my older stuff too.

The main issue with the rise in cost is pressing and printing and less the market trends. Up til the 90's there were lots of places to press albums. Oil and other materials in a pre-green world for pressing was much cheaper.

I guess all im saying is that I'm loving the bubble... I'll keep buying and hopefully my newborn son gets to listen to his first Sly and The Family Stone vinyl like I did when I was a kid.

sillybarry 

as a kid, i always wanted to join the columbia house scheme.  Unfortunately, my parents wanted nothing to do with it.  

I still praise those catalogs for the pages of album covers.  I remember spotting the No Doubt "Tragic Kingdom" record and only picking it up because of the album art.

I've been noticing vinyl more and more these days.  

Its in commercials, tv shows, movies, ad campaigns.

artists and labels that would never normally press an album on vinyl are suddenly doing Record Store Day exclusives and box sets.

how does this make the true vinyl lovers feel?

excited that something you love has hit the main stream....

upset because something you love is also loved by many others....

super pissed off because the competition for records you want has gone up....

tell me what you think. or don't. 

tumblr_lzh2ba4ZwP1qj327i_zps9b5565fe.gif