Anyone want to juice with me?

It looks gay in the title, but I'm talking about veggies and fruits... not steroids.

I'm going to do a 60 day reboot just like in "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." 

I think it would be cool if someone from the board did it with me.

I want to start on July 1. That gives you ample time to find veggies and a juicer. 

Anyone down? I thought it would be cool to have a boards buddy to go through a life-changing process with. 

Maybe if we go through 60 days together, we can pick a record out of each other's collections?

Tried this. Didn't stick. Gave the juicer to my sister. I just found that eating the veggies worked better for me than drinking them. Good luck.

Small tip -- there's a certain kind of juicer that works best for leafy veggies. I think it might be called a "single augur" one? Can't remember exactly. But that is the one you want. They all juice an orange. The one that I bought you might as well dump a trash bag of kale in there to get a shot glass of juice. Too wasteful.

Celery and carrots were money. Lots of juice out of them, cheap, and not too much sugar (like you would get out of drinking a whole lot of fruit juice with no veggies). But I'm sure you'll experiment and figure it out.

didn't mean to sound negative. it's an admirable feat. even if you only go a few days it does great things for you. just get over the 3-day hump and it's kind of smooth sailing from there. also make sure your juicer doesn't produce too much froth, and make sure you skim that shit off the top. there's nothing like a mouthful of veggie foam

That's right. I ate shit tons of bacon. It was fun. But now I have trouble sleeping and concentrating on simple tasks. After seeing that documentary, it seemed like a great way to fix those problems. 

If someone is serious about doing a 60 day juice fast with me, that would rule. PM me if you are considering it. Accountability partners for life!

I know it's not going to be easy. If it were, I would imagine everyone would do it.

Lebowski, you are right. Single gear juicers are best for the leafy greens. My parents are getting me a juicer for my birthday (June 21) and they are looking into the Omegas, but apparently their customer service blows. There are some terrible reviews! I think I'm getting a Samson 6 in 1 Wheatgrass Juicer. It is a single gear juicer that will juice anything. I read that a lot of non-gear juicers just pump out apple sauce as opposed to apple juice. 

I'll probably post progress pictures in here along the way. When I do, I will change the name of the thread to "recent pic of Casey thread (happy jason?)"

That's right. I ate shit tons of bacon. It was fun. But now I have trouble sleeping and concentrating on simple tasks. After seeing that documentary, it seemed like a great way to fix those problems. 

If someone is serious about doing a 60 day juice fast with me, that would rule. PM me if you are considering it. Accountability partners for life!

I know it's not going to be easy. If it were, I would imagine everyone would do it.

Lebowski, you are right. Single gear juicers are best for the leafy greens. My parents are getting me a juicer for my birthday (June 21) and they are looking into the Omegas, but apparently their customer service blows. There are some terrible reviews! I think I'm getting a Samson 6 in 1 Wheatgrass Juicer. It is a single gear juicer that will juice anything. I read that a lot of non-gear juicers just pump out apple sauce as opposed to apple juice. 

I'll probably post progress pictures in here along the way. When I do, I will change the name of the thread to "recent pic of Casey thread (happy jason?)"

tumblr_inline_milbk2eapu1qz4rgp.gif

If you're actually going to commit to a 60 day juice fast ( personally, you should start with like 3-7, juice is a lot worse than it sounds) you need to buy a masticater / jucier, not just a juicer.  Omega is a good brand, but you need to invest at least $300 for a really good juicer.

The one I have is a 90? dollar one from target and it's really not good for any sort of vegetable juicing. 

I've never been able to do more than a day juicing, even though my diet is already mostly fruits and vegetables.  I would really recommend starting at like a few days, to try it out, find recipes you like, etc.  You don't want to discourage yourself by setting too high of a goal, and you want to make sure your schedule allows time for you to juice, purchase veggies and fruits, etc.

I did a ton of research on juicing, so here is a lot of what I've learned / heard from people who've been successful with long diets.

- Drink a ton of water.

- 60% veggies, 40% fruit, max.  So it's better to do 70 or 80% veggies.

- Personal opinion - Don't combine a ton of vegetables or fruits - it just starts to taste worse.

- If you plan on refrigerating a juice, put the juice in a solid (not see-thru) sealed container, and put lemon in it.

Lemon helps prevent the natural oxidation and also helps preserve the important nutrients.  It's best to drink immediately after making.

- Small sips all day is easier to get by then chugging and then feeling hungry after.

- Alternate between water and juice sips.

- you can juice lemon skin!

edit: i've never heard anyone refer to masticaters as gears, but yes, get a gear juicer!!! ( i read the above posts )

Regarding hydration -- you are fully hydrated when your piss is clear or just a little yellow. That nasty, horrible smelling dark yellow piss that comes out after drinking heavily is a sign of being dehydrated. So whether consuming juice, bacon, or anything in between, just gotta drink enough for clear pee and no need to force water into your system after that.

I am seriously considering this. I want to weigh less. 

I'm not arguing against juicing. Would be cool if you were Casey's partner.

But there's nothing magical about juicing. It's just another flavor in the evolution of nutrition advice -- eat whole foods over processed ones, limit sugar intake, limit trans fats, and limit saturated fats. That's the goal. Juicing is just one path to get there. If juicing isn't for you, then there are other more conventional paths.

If you haven't watched the movie Casey mentioned, do so. It is very motivating to eat healthier and an entertaining documentary.

No way, only eating bacon kind of fucked you up? Never would have guessed.