I'm getting a cat, how do I protect my records?

I went to look at a collection the other week, everything was neatly packed into crates.  I was interested until I realized a cat(s) the person owned had pissed all over the fronts of several of the crates.  I can't count the # of times that I've looked at collections where portions of the collection were totally fucked up due to a cat clawing the shit out of jacket tops and spines.  Oddly enough, I've never come across a collection that was ruined by any other animal.

One of my cats was declawed by a previous owner as well.  She still goes through the action of "sharpening" them on things like the sides of laundry baskets and wicker things.  I think she just likes the way the friction feels against her paws.  

I was always under the impression it's usually un-neutered males that are most likely to do something like piss all over objects that smell like other cats or whatever.  I had a female cat that was close to 20 years old before she had to be put down and she'd have accidents in random spots but also use the box too.  I think she was a little off her rocker towards the end.

I know that declawing animals are not the best and frowned upon, but her previous owner is my friend and old neighbor. So kindly go fuck yourself for that comment.

It's more than frowned upon, it's actually illegal in some cities (like LA) to declaw an animal.

One of my cats was declawed by a previous owner as well. She still goes through the action of "sharpening" them on things like the sides of laundry baskets and wicker things. I think she just likes the way the friction feels against her paws.

She definitely does not like the way the friction feels on her paws. She is attempting to stretch her muscles and her heart through the act of clawing at an object but she cannot. She feels a phantom limb there where he fingers used to be because they were amputated, and so she cannot help but try to stretch them. Seeing that shit is one of the saddest things to me and I can't help but feel terrible for the animal, and rage toward the person responsible.

She definitely does not like the way the friction feels on her paws. She is attempting to stretch her muscles and her heart through the act of clawing at an object but she cannot. She feels a phantom limb there where he fingers used to be because they were amputated, and so she cannot help but try to stretch them. Seeing that shit is one of the saddest things to me and I can't help but feel terrible for the animal, and rage toward the person responsible.

If I weren't fucking losing my shit instantaneously when it comes to animal abuse, this is what I would've wanted to say. thank you.

I know my comment was offensive, but seriously, 'frowned upon'? Fuck that. Tell your animal abusing fuckface of a neighbor to fuck himself.

She's rescued many animals and volunteers at shelters - I don't even know why I am responding to a sick fuck who thinks wishing another human dead is only "offensive".

Please stop being an asshole.

She's rescued many animals and volunteers at shelters - I don't even know why I am responding to a sick fuck who thinks wishing another human dead is only "offensive".

Please stop being an asshole.

I know that was uncalled for and I sincerely apologize for that comment.

I figure that anyone who cares enough to post in this thread truly cares about cats / animals in general and you talking about that neighbor volunteering in animal shelters makes him/her one of us, but I don't see how that and the horrible and abusive act of removing a cats claws go together at all. Is there some story to it?

I know that was uncalled for and I sincerely apologize for that comment.

I figure that anyone who cares enough to post in this thread truly cares about cats / animals in general and you talking about that neighbor volunteering in animal shelters makes him/her one of us, but I don't see how that and the horrible and abusive act of removing a cats claws go together at all. Is there some story to it?

When she still lived in the same state as me, she would volunteer at a shelter that would kill the animals if they were not adopted in a certain time frame. She would ask anyone she knew and had us ask around for people who wanted pets to try and save them. No one could adopt or we couldn't find anyone to adopt my current cat, so she did it. The unit she lived in at the time (not when she was my nieghbor) was super shitty and the requirements were that your cat had to be nuetered/spayed and atleast the front claws declawed. (Yes, I know that it is illegal in some states for landlords to do this) So, I would say having two paws declawed was a lot more humane than killing her altogether. Snicklefritz is now almost five years old, fat, happy, and alive.

Maybe you could open up a kill shelter for humans since you already started your kill list.

So many objects in my house are ruined by cat claws, including about 20-30% of my record spines.

It is definitely a bummer, but it turns out I love my cats way more than any material thing.

Both of my boyfriend's cats are declawed, and he will occasionally suggest we get mine declawed. A lot of people grow up with the assumption that cats don't need their front claws and it isn't a big deal to remove them. I just shoot him a death glare when it says it.

oQ96TA9.png

The fucker at the top is my main suspect.

I'd never declaw a cat.  That's my personal choice based on what I know about it.   I was happy to take her in when she needed a home.  She's been with me for the majority of her life.  I have heard of cats who are in constant pain from the procedure but thought she'd lucked out since she is a happy cat with no apparent issues.  I'll never look at her pretend sharpening the same for sure.  :(

I'd post a pic of her with my records but she gives no fucks about anything but the couch these days.

You guys ever hear of a device called a "spray bottle"?

Doesn't always work. My cat is pretty neutral when it comes to water. When your spray her she just puts her head and her ears down till your done then sits there and wipes her head off with her paws.

To stay on topic though, I would say getting a cat isn't any worse for your records than getting a puppy. Dogs love to please though where cats could care less, which makes setting rules and verbal demands/behavior corrections easier but I mean if your giving any pet proper care, attention, training and some kind of primal instinct stimulation through playing or whatever they should be fine

Doesn't always work. My cat is pretty neutral when it comes to water. When your spray her she just puts her head and her ears down till your done then sits there and wipes her head off with her paws.

To stay on topic though, I would say getting a cat isn't any worse for your records than getting a puppy. Dogs love to please though where cats could care less, which makes setting rules and verbal demands/behavior corrections easier but I mean if your giving any pet proper care, attention, training and some kind of primal instinct stimulation through playing or whatever they should be fine

Also, I'd think shooting water towards your electronics and records probably isn't a great idea, either.  

When I still lived at home I kept my records on a shelf that my cats couldn't get to. I did have to be careful whenever I pulled them to listen, though. My cats are really sweet, though. There's three things they scratch: The couch (not so sweet), their toys, and their scratch lounge. I guess by now they've learned that scratching anything else leads to us not petting them.