Are the people at daytrotter fucking high?

atticus

I think vinyl, while growing, is still a pretty niche market.

When I tell people I buy vinyl records they usually stare at me in disbelief and then usually say something stupid like "aren't CD's better quality, etc."

One could argue that the fact that the market is small pushes the price gouging, in that someone could say, "Charge $35 per record! These clowns can't pirate this neato splatter vinyl we have the rights to!"

...until 3D Printers become better.

Still, there's a huge sect of vinyl enthusiast who don't even know this community exists or think that $24/LP is a pretty high price compared to what we were paying only a couple years ago.

One could argue that the fact that the market is small pushes the price gouging, in that someone could say, "Charge $35 per record! These clowns can't pirate this neato splatter vinyl we have the rights to!"

...until 3D Printers become better.

Still, there's a huge sect of vinyl enthusiast who don't even know this community exists or think that $24/LP is a pretty high price compared to what we were paying only a couple years ago.

Good points Rambo.

I think the prices differ based on where you live as well. When I was in Arizona the prices were much cheaper than here in Nebraska.  

I think vinyl, while growing, is still a pretty niche market.  

When I tell people I buy vinyl records they usually stare at me in disbelief and then usually say something stupid like "aren't CD's better quality, etc."

I always get "Wait, you mean like those big things? So you don't listen to any new music?"

When I started buying records they were cheaper than CDs. I'm ok with a little bit of a price hike if it means the format is getting more popular because that means more stuff is going to get pressed. Some of the prices I see are nuts though.

I always get "Wait, you mean like those big things? So you don't listen to any new music?"

When I started buying records they were cheaper than CDs. I'm ok with a little bit of a price hike if it means the format is getting more popular because that means more stuff is going to get pressed. Some of the prices I see are nuts though.

That's a great point.  

• 10 months later...

dont this if this has been posted somewhere or what, but theres a sale on for daytrotter vinyl that ends pretty soon. not a huge fan but these prices are much more reasonable.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/backstage/vinyl.html?sale=1

Thanks for the heads up!

$9.50 shipping sucks ass, but I did want that Langhorne Slim LP.

• 1 month later...

Somewhat glad this sale came back. I was able to get a replacement for my IIOI/Daniel Johnston split. Also, if you try to leave the site and answer their survey saying shipping costs are too high, they send you a 10% off coupon code.

Thanks for that! Been eyeing an item up and this makes it at least a little reasonable. Highway robbery these dudes. 

Thanks for that! Been eyeing an item up and this makes it at least a little reasonable. Highway robbery these dudes. 

I might have high expectations, but these albums better come wrapped in blankets made from the hairs of exotic endangered animals for how much they charge for shipping.

Fill your cart, attempt to exit page, respond to survey with "1" (shipping costs too high), receive 10% off coupon. Not that great, but beats the hell out of DT's $30 per LP + shipping. I got two LP's for $18.25 each.

Turns out if you add more than one record, that $9.50 rate stays the same...makes buying multiple records much better.  Plus, the 10% tip really helped too.  Thanks.

Turns out if you add more than one record, that $9.50 rate stays the same...makes buying multiple records much better.  Plus, the 10% tip really helped too.  Thanks.

Yeah that is pretty nice. I had 3 in my cart and it was still $9.50. When I got my shipping notification, I noticed that it's coming UPS, which is why they charge so much.

• 1 month later...