Looming Federal Government Shutdown

I'd say this one mostly falls on the GOP, but really, neither side is any good, nobody wants to govern.

We have a whole bunch of babies just sitting up there trying not to get blamed for shit so they can be reelected.

The ACA was a freakin' compromise in the first place.  We should have set up a single payer system but the "big business" insurance companies wouldn't have it so this is what we ended up with.  Now that they're getting what they wanted they're acting like the ACA is the plague because the obama administration got it signed into law.  They critize Obama even when he uses their own freakin' ideas.  It's so stupid it might just make heads explode...

IMHO It's not either party's fault in full but I'm with you in that I would put most of the blame on the GOP. You see, they're the ones using extortion as a means of negotiation. I wish the President would just flat out call them "terrorists" but then that wouldn't be very politically correct of him.

There's this girl I follow on Tumblr who is normally pretty cool, posts a lot of music that I'm into etc, but she's a hardcore republican (from what I understand from her posts during the election, she's one of those youngsters who is just repeating what their parents believe in.  My brother is the same way.) and she keeps reblogging these asinine posts from conservative-run blogs that are solely blaming the democrats for the shut down and it's grating on my nerves.  They're trying to spin this as something one sided when it's absolutely not the case.  It requires more than 1 party to compromise on something, and it requires 2 parties to argue enough to have the government shut down.

Even putting all of that aside, I think it's pretty crazy for these blogs to try to spin things so it's a liberal mistake.  You can blame liberals for a lot, just as you could conservatives, but allowing Americans to have health insurance should not be placed on the basis of it being a mistake.

Sitting in mall food court, cause that's what I have going on. I am actually getting rather fired up (for me) over this. There is probably enough votes fir a clean CR amongst dems and moderate Republicans, but it wont be brought to vote for fear of pissing off the tea party types. Jim Demint and the heritage foundation are already planning to launch primary fights against established Republicans. Redrawn districts have a downside apparently.

The kicker is that the ACA hadlittle to do with the 14 budget. It survived 40+ votes, a supreme court challenge and a presidential election - and now its law. If its such bad policy it will fail on it own merits. The bigger fight I would have thought would have been the budget ceiling, which is around the corner. For groups who talk about American debt load this shutdown will cost something like a billion a week. I am all for improving our financial situation, but can't we figure out a more sensible way to get things done.

F it I am getting a cheese pretzel.

There's this girl I follow on Tumblr who is normally pretty cool, posts a lot of music that I'm into etc, but she's a hardcore republican (from what I understand from her posts during the election, she's one of those youngsters who is just repeating what their parents believe in.  My brother is the same way.) and she keeps reblogging these asinine posts from conservative-run blogs that are solely blaming the democrats for the shut down and it's grating on my nerves.  They're trying to spin this as something one sided when it's absolutely not the case.  It requires more than 1 party to compromise on something, and it requires 2 parties to argue enough to have the government shut down.

Even putting all of that aside, I think it's pretty crazy for these blogs to try to spin things so it's a liberal mistake.  You can blame liberals for a lot, just as you could conservatives, but allowing Americans to have health insurance should not be placed on the basis of it being a mistake.

All the liberals did was pass a law through three branches of government. the republicans are mad that it's now being implemented, so to prove a point they keep putting ridiculous bills through the government that attempted to de-fund a law that has already been passed or they won't vote to keep the government running. it's childish blackmail. it's like a child refusing to go to school because his parents made a rule that he has to clean the dishes every week.

To the liberal Democrats -- How large does the national debt have to get before you agree that it is time to cut social spending? 20 trillion? 30 trillion? Never?

It's not a loaded question. Just coming at the debt issue from a different way.

And I somewhat expect that this will drift towards tax reform and defense spending. I work in the defense industry. Trust me, we have significantly changed the way that we spend money to reflect the current government budget. Some defense programs take 10 years to produce anything and then run for 30 years. Not something you can turn around quickly (unless you want to just throw away all the investment that has already been made to this point). Same goes for wars. They need to wind down, not immediately pull out and let any good that came out of them be undone (and the bad still exists). Think we are going there (see...Syria).

Tax reform does need to happen. Just a piece though. Question above is about spending, not government income. Both important, just focusing on one side.

I can't believe you people.  I'm seriously sick to my stomach reading through all of your hate towards the Republicans. 

Is it the Republicans trying to destroy the American way of life?  No it's the fucking Democrats.   Are the Republicans instituting roaming Death Panels that will kill your grandma?  No its the fucking Democrats.  Are the Republicans trying to give the President the rights of a dictator?  No it's the Democrats. 

Learn your fucking history, when God wrote the constitution there was nothing about Health Care laws so what right does Obama have to force people.  Gah, I'd like to compare Obama to Hitler, but Obamas worse.  Obama must be channeling the power of Satan, because thats the only way this kind of evil could exist.  Has he gotten his hands on the Necronomicon, or maybe we should now call it the Obamanomicon.

Or, you know, none of this is true.  But if I say it someone will  believe it.

I can't believe you people.  I'm seriously sick to my stomach reading through all of your hate towards the Republicans. 

Is it the Republicans trying to destroy the American way of life?  No it's the fucking Democrats.   Are the Republicans instituting roaming Death Panels that will kill your grandma?  No its the fucking Democrats.  Are the Republicans trying to give the President the rights of a dictator?  No it's the Democrats. 

Learn your fucking history, when God wrote the constitution there was nothing about Health Care laws so what right does Obama have to force people.  Gah, I'd like to compare Obama to Hitler, but Obamas worse.  Obama must be channeling the power of Satan, because thats the only way this kind of evil could exist.  Has he gotten his hands on the Necronomicon, or maybe we should now call it the Obamanomicon.

Or, you know, none of this is true.  But if I say it someone will  believe it.

Believed it for a second, then I looked at your post count. No one spouting crap like this would ever make it 1000 posts around here

To the liberal Democrats -- How large does the national debt have to get before you agree that it is time to cut social spending? 20 trillion? 30 trillion? Never?

It's not a loaded question. Just coming at the debt issue from a different way.

And I somewhat expect that this will drift towards tax reform and defense spending. I work in the defense industry. Trust me, we have significantly changed the way that we spend money to reflect the current government budget. Some defense programs take 10 years to produce anything and then run for 30 years. Not something you can turn around quickly (unless you want to just throw away all the investment that has already been made to this point). Same goes for wars. They need to wind down, not immediately pull out and let any good that came out of them be undone (and the bad still exists). Think we are going there (see...Syria).

Tax reform does need to happen. Just a piece though. Question above is about spending, not government income. Both important, just focusing on one side.

The issue is, the ACA already passed. This debate happened. That's the whole point of having democracy. People get a vote. And we're living with that. But money wasted on trying to appeal every law one party doesn't like is a WASTE. The democrats are getting their chance. If it completely fails, the independents will recognize that and Republicans will win their elections and push to make their changes. This is ridiculous.

The issue is, the ACA already passed. This debate happened. That's the whole point of having democracy. People get a vote. And we're living with that. But money wasted on trying to appeal every law one party doesn't like is a WASTE. The democrats are getting their chance. If it completely fails, the independents will recognize that and Republicans will win their elections and push to make their changes. This is ridiculous.

I don't see how you can treat it like an independent issue. Not like gun control or abortion or anything, which have very minor budgetary considerations and are more philosophical.

Congress and the President are supposed to work together on a budget. So looking at the big picture, if the ACA is going to eat up a slice of the overall budgetary pie, what are the ripple effects on other government spending? Where have the Democrats given in in any significant way to cut government spending and make the ACA more palatable?

I don't see how you can treat it like an independent issue. Not like gun control or abortion or anything, which have very minor budgetary considerations and are more philosophical.

Congress and the President are supposed to work together on a budget. So looking at the big picture, if the ACA is going to eat up a slice of the overall budgetary pie, what are the ripple effects on other government spending? Where have the Democrats given in in any significant way to cut government spending and make the ACA more palatable?

It's not like the democrats pulled obamacare out of nowhere and are surprising everyone with it this week. It passed over three years ago. It's the republicans that are connecting obamacare to this budget issue because it's current. Those debates should have already happened. There's plenty of other things they could have chosen to try to "defund".