PO: Reggie & The Full Effect - No Country For Old Musicians (purenoise)

I did a Google search to figure out how many people donated and stuff and what they got out of it. If $20 was donated by 2,900 people to reach $58,000, what did the non-vinyl people get? I have no idea how this works but anyway I found this Vice article that pretty much summed up my initial feelings on this. Vice article on Reggie & The Full Effect's Kickstarter campaign.

"it really makes no sense why a label-free indie artist would present a grassroots idea with a major-label price tag"

2nd favorite quote:

"for $7,000 or roughly the cost of two Reggie And the Full Effect songs, Reginald F. Effect will "personally officiate" your wedding to that girl in the cargo shorts and Avail hoodie you dry humped for the first time when you were 22 and are still with."

Did you pledge? 

Guest Justin Maheiny

No. Like I said before I didn't pledge and I didn't even know kickstarter was used to fund albums till this thread. That's why I found it so interesting.

Based on the pledges there would've been 578 of the kick starter press, so it would've been the least rare anyway based on the pressing.

The only album ones I've seen that really benefitted pledges were Dr. Manhattan and of Montreal. Both of those you HAD to pledge to get the album, wasn't available anywhere else (to my knowledge)

Where's WhoCares? There seems to be a lot of hostility in this thread, note that nobody who actually helped backed this is angry about it. More or less confused. You get an autographed copy though, according to today's update.

There's a new Reggie record coming out, it's equally weird and awesome.

Guest Justin Maheiny

I'm only mad no one listened to the Dj Quik song I posted that this first RATFE sounds like. Cuz if they did, they'd laugh and agree with me.

Besides I'm sure this album will be good. Every album I've owned with a black baby on the cover so far has been good. Notorious B.I.G.'s Ready To Die, Lil Wayne's The Carter III, Nas' Illmatic(if you squint, cuz that's def. a small child not a baby). Need I say more?

I'm a little dirty that KS backers ended up with the least rare Vinyl variant but what really boils my blood is that for the $60 I paid for my KS package I only get Digital Copy, CD, Vinyl & T-Shirt whereas the Pure Noise pre-order includes CD, Vinyl, Poster, T-Shirt, Mug & Hoodie.

I was more than happy to help fund the production but to know that once it's been produced he's on-sold it to a label who can offer punters off the street better deals than the people who financed it is weak.

All I can say is the T-Shirt better be fucking killer.

While this doesn't really balance the Pure Noise package to the kickstarter, there are the random mp3 exclusives he's been posting throughout the whole process as well he's going to be signing all the kickstarter albums...Either way I'm not upset I'm getting a new Reggie album for $20.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

new update for kickstarter backers, i better not be one of those 20!

hey 20 vinyl backers,

i unfortunately did not get a chance to sign all of the vinyl. I had to come to japan on tour. I figured you guys and gals would rather have your records sooner without the autographs than wait an extra 10 days to get them after I got back from japan.

I will sign them at the shows for you I promise!!

I think you gonna love it though, I really do!!!

I apologize for not having the time to get that done before i left ( i got some of them done but not all of them)

just bring it with you to the show and ill hook you up big time!!

your buddy,

james

new update for kickstarter backers, i better not be one of those 20!

hey 20 vinyl backers,

i unfortunately did not get a chance to sign all of the vinyl. I had to come to japan on tour. I figured you guys and gals would rather have your records sooner without the autographs than wait an extra 10 days to get them after I got back from japan.

I will sign them at the shows for you I promise!!

I think you gonna love it though, I really do!!!

I apologize for not having the time to get that done before i left ( i got some of them done but not all of them)

just bring it with you to the show and ill hook you up big time!!

your buddy,

james

I understand James is "not the smartest tool In the shed" but how's it going to take him more than 45 seconds to sign his name 20 times?

Maybe he's personalizing it a little bit, if its just a signature then it makes no sense that he couldn't finish 20.

In the vinyl kickstarter option it only says "with this pledge you will get the digi download and the limited edition vinyl (with lots of extras) like lyrics and notes and pictures."

I don't think anyone knew he was signing these until he mentioned it in an update, and if I remember correctly it was only implied that he was autographing them.

Who knows at this point. I just want to hear the damn thing!