The Beer Thread

The Abyss is excellent.  It's a good beer to split with someone, 22oz of it is a lot for one person.  I've had it new and aged for a few years.  If you're a patient person, I'd recommend stashing it in a dark cupboard and enjoying it in 2015.

Yeah...I don't see that happening.  They were talking about it alot while we were there.  I guess people were calling and they were holding bottles for people, and only had 2 left on the shelves.  My wife just said I want it.

So my wife and I went on an adventure to find this beer shop called The Art of Beer a little ways away from us.  It was pretty freaking awesome in the first 5 minutes of going into this tiny store(but had a huge selection) we were trying beer for free.  We ended up trying Hop Hedge(IPA) from Dechutes, Cherry Truffle Abduction(Double Stout)  and Derketo (Belgian IPA) from Pipeworks.  Then we continued to look around and talk and finally made out purchase:

IMAG0489_zps8ols08gt.jpg

Pretty excited since its my brothers birthday tomorrow.  Here's the list if you can't make it out:

1. Troublesome - Off Color Brewing (Chicago)

2. Harvest - Southern Tier (NY)

3. 2xMas - Southern Tier (NY)

4. Gnomegang - Ommegang (NY)

5. Witte - Ommegang (NY)

6. Ebel's Weiss - Two Brothers (Outside Chicago,IL)

7. The Abyss - Dechutes (Oregon)

8. Daytime Ale - Lagunitas (CA)

9. The Hairy Eyeball Ale - Lagunitas (CA)

10. Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas (CA)

Pretty excited to try it all. Sorry for the long post.

just bought ommegang's three philosophers the other day. stoked to try it! and don't apologize for the long post, it's thorough and visual. i enjoyed it.

my untappd username is chamb117, too, just FYI! love that app.

So my wife and I went on an adventure to find this beer shop called The Art of Beer a little ways away from us.  It was pretty freaking awesome in the first 5 minutes of going into this tiny store(but had a huge selection) we were trying beer for free.  We ended up trying Hop Hedge(IPA) from Dechutes, Cherry Truffle Abduction(Double Stout)  and Derketo (Belgian IPA) from Pipeworks.  Then we continued to look around and talk and finally made out purchase:

IMAG0489_zps8ols08gt.jpg

Pretty excited since its my brothers birthday tomorrow.  Here's the list if you can't make it out:

1. Troublesome - Off Color Brewing (Chicago)

2. Harvest - Southern Tier (NY)

3. 2xMas - Southern Tier (NY)

4. Gnomegang - Ommegang (NY)

5. Witte - Ommegang (NY)

6. Ebel's Weiss - Two Brothers (Outside Chicago,IL)

7. The Abyss - Dechutes (Oregon)

8. Daytime Ale - Lagunitas (CA)

9. The Hairy Eyeball Ale - Lagunitas (CA)

10. Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas (CA)

Pretty excited to try it all. Sorry for the long post.

Nice haul, dude! Love the Southern Tier 2xmas!

Also, I've gotta brag for a minute....

This weekend we finally built my keezer, which I am BEYOND STOKED for. A good friend has been working with wood since he was a little kid, so we busted this thing out in no time. The collar is made out of African Zebrawood, and with  a 10lb co2 tank, it can hold 5 corny kegs. Now all i need to do is add some chalkboard paint to the top for the on-tap list. Oh yeah, and get my butt into gear and brew some more. We floated both full kegs I had this weekend while building it =D

4dee89ee620411e3897212c3308c983e_8.jpg

dea4e2ee620411e392990e4ff8a698db_8.jpg

Also, I've gotta brag for a minute....

This weekend we finally built my keezer, which I am BEYOND STOKED for. A good friend has been working with wood since he was a little kid, so we busted this thing out in no time. The collar is made out of African Zebrawood, and with  a 10lb co2 tank, it can hold 5 corny kegs. Now all i need to do is add some chalkboard paint to the top for the on-tap list. Oh yeah, and get my butt into gear and brew some more. We floated both full kegs I had this weekend while building it =D

4dee89ee620411e3897212c3308c983e_8.jpg

dea4e2ee620411e392990e4ff8a698db_8.jpg

Looks great!

Nice haul, dude! Love the Southern Tier 2xmas!

I tried this at Melt for the first time last month.  Don't get me wrong, it was good.  I've never had anything from Southern Tier I didn't like.  But the taste was a little strange.  The closest thing my girlfriend and I could describe it as was it kinda tasted like a "campfire."

That keezer looks great!  I'm trying to figure out a way to put one in my tiny ass apartment, but I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Thanks man! If you've got a small apartment, go for a 5cu foot keezer. You can still hold 3 kegs and a co2 tank inside of it (albeit a little tight, it still works), just no room for "on deck" beers, or anything you would want temperature controlled.

for IPA lovers I suggest Knee Deep Brewing co. Their DIPA brew called Hoptologist is awesome. Most of their brews are IPA's but they also have a very good porter called Tanilla with vanilla bean and coffee flavors. Im lucky to live 5 min from their tap room  :D . Check them out!

http://kneedeepbrewing.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Brooklyn-Brew-Beer-Making-Everyday/dp/B005G20IIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386810568&sr=8-3&keywords=beer+brewing+kit

Thinking of getting this as a project for my brother and I.  I'd rather do things for real the first time than use a Mr. Beer.  Anyone else brew with one of their kits?

http://www.amazon.com/Brooklyn-Brew-Beer-Making-Everyday/dp/B005G20IIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386810568&sr=8-3&keywords=beer+brewing+kit

Thinking of getting this as a project for my brother and I.  I'd rather do things for real the first time than use a Mr. Beer.  Anyone else brew with one of their kits?

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/getting-started/basic-brewing-equipment-kit/

If you want to "do things for real" I can't recommend this enough man. It does run about double that kit you just mentioned, but you'll get literally everything you need (sans a recipe kit, but those can be picked up for cheap by rebel-brewer/any other HB supply spot) to do 5 gallons of extract brewing, or if you're feeling adventurous for your first time, partial-mash brewing. They're even running a special now that includes a 5 gallon stock-pot (or a recipe kit, but go with the pot) if you buy that bundle.

The cool thing with that package too is if you guys want to stick with it, you didn't just blow $40 to make one gallon of beer. With that $75, you get a lot of equipment that you'll always use. A siphon, capper, and buckets (a plenty) are your best friends, even if you decide to go all-grain =D

Thanks man! If you've got a small apartment, go for a 5cu foot keezer. You can still hold 3 kegs and a co2 tank inside of it (albeit a little tight, it still works), just no room for "on deck" beers, or anything you would want temperature controlled.

I'll look into that, 3 corny kegs would work just fine right now.  I currently have a closet that has 20-25 gallons worth of bottles in it, I could easily take the shelves out and put my on deck beers in there.

I had the Green Bullet a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if mine was just old but it was fairly mild, even compared to some single IPAS. It tasted good but I would have liked some more pronounced flavor. Founders Devil Dancer is a great triple IPA. The first year I had it, it tasted closer to straight, fresh hops than any beer I've ever had.

I currently have a closet that has 20-25 gallons worth of bottles in it

That's exactly how my closet is looking right now, haha. I had brewed ~50 gallons (5 beers) for an event last month, and am stuck with about half of it left. Not the worst problem to have though ;)

I had the Green Bullet a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if mine was just old but it was fairly mild, even compared to some single IPAS. It tasted good but I would have liked some more pronounced flavor. Founders Devil Dancer is a great triple IPA. 

Man, that's just what I was thinking. A lot of people were dorking out down here for Green Bullet, but I wasn't feeling it. Devil Dancer is killer, as is The Oracle from Bells, granted you can find some. 

I recently had the Cafe Racer 15 from Bear Republic too....my god what a dank "triple IPA"

That's exactly how my closet is looking right now, haha. I had brewed ~50 gallons (5 beers) for an event last month, and am stuck with about half of it left. Not the worst problem to have though ;)

Damn, 50 gallons in a month is huge.  I do 5 gallon batches and usually do 2 a month.  If I had room, I would like to do 3 a month.  Sadly, I can't drink what I'm making right now (well, I probably could, but I can't imagine that's healthy).  I agree, there are definitely worse problems to have.  I had took November off from brewing because I ran out of room.