The Beer Thread

Cider.

That will help over the holidays but what about after?

Strongbow cider, or get lighter flavored beers (Shocktop has lots of good ones, as does Leinenkugels)

Those sound pricy, keep in mind that I'm broke. I'm not trying to drink natty light or coors but my options are limited.

Maybe you guys can help me, I can't stand the taste of beer (bad in college) and I was wondering if you guys had any tips to help me enjoy it or at least put it down...

Here is the thing about beer, there is a shitload of it.

I'm making a huge assumption about what you drank in college, which is probably all of a similar flavor profile. Bad. Now, you just may not like beer. My mother-in-law doesn't like any of it, some people just don't find it to be particularly palatable. But if you're really curious about trying it, se if you can get yourself to a good liquor store, or beer bar, and try a good variety. Either of those establishments will have knowledgable staff who can help.

Most people would generally advise to try a lighter pilsner or Kolsch style, something without a huge flavor profile. And I'd generally agree those are pretty safe bets. But you should also try some vastly different flavor profiles and some more esoteric offerings. Try a Lambic, or sour beer. A Stout aged on Vanilla beans or other flavor modifier, that'll also have a really different flavor profile. Grab one of them pumpkin beers everyone in this thread loves. And yeah, cider is good too.

You may hate them all, which is fine, more for me. But there is a metric assload of beers to try, and you might find something that suits you especially if your willing to venture off the beaten path a bit.

Maybe you guys can help me, I can't stand the taste of beer (bad in college) and I was wondering if you guys had any tips to help me enjoy it or at least put it down...

If you don't like the hoppy bitterness of beer or general assy taste of cheap college beer than you may want to try either lighter white or wheat beers or the darker maltier beers. The wheat beers are light, smooth and very refreshing in the summer - Think Hoegaarden or any number of wheat styles, which can range from light, crisp and fruity to somewhat dark. Someone mentioned shock top, which isn't too bad. The dark malter beers are usually Belgian style. The "tend" to not be so hoppy, sweeter and have a high alcohol content (from the sugar and yeast strains). The doubles are darker and heavier and the triples are lighter and strong. They are usually pricey, but one tends to not drink too many, especially at 7-12% alcohol. I really like Gouden Carolus and Maredsous 10. If you really want alcoholic soda then try like a fruit lambic. The kriek (cherry) is good in small doses.

• 2 weeks later...

Local beer event tonight at the Farmhouse, anyone had any of these? Recommendations?

DRAUGHT

Cigar City Warmer Winter Winter Warmer 2011

Samichlaus Bier 2010

Scaldis Noël 2011

Delirium Noël 2011

N'ice Chouffe 2009

Anchor Christmas Ale 2012

Southern Tier 2XMAS

Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux

Rogue Yellow Snow IPA

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Rock Art Mountain Holidays in Vermont bock

Trapp Trosten Bier black lager

Local beer event tonight at the Farmhouse, anyone had any of these? Recommendations?

DRAUGHT

Cigar City Warmer Winter Winter Warmer 2011

Samichlaus Bier 2010

Scaldis Noël 2011

Delirium Noël 2011

N'ice Chouffe 2009

Anchor Christmas Ale 2012

Southern Tier 2XMAS

Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux

Rogue Yellow Snow IPA

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Rock Art Mountain Holidays in Vermont bock

Trapp Trosten Bier black lager

Not a fan of the Anchor Christmas 2012 or the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, but the Rogue Yellow Snow is pretty good

So, I can't be the only person who went out and picked this up today...

I5vjd.jpg

nah, i snagged one as well. Funny, the process was ridiculously easy. I showed up an hour after the TotalWine opened, and just picked one up off the counter. I don't even think they sold out until today. And it was pricey, but really not insane considering the cost of beer from people like Evil Twin, Haand, or Mikkeller. if you take away ~$10 for the two Westy glasses, then it's about 12-13 bucks a bottle. Wish I could have just bought two bottles (honestly, its not that good. Definitely worth trying, but it won't be the best beer you've ever had.)

What I'm REALLY excited for, though is the release of Sierra Nevada Barrel-Aged Bigfoot this January. That beer is gonna be amazing.