Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

So, I don't know how many of you pulled the trigger on this, but the new Fall of Messiah EP has been on CONSTANT repeat for me ever since I got it.

It's really worth the money, and sounds great on CD and vinyl. These tunes just kill, and get better every time I listen to them.

Stream the whole album here. Brilliant stuff.

https://fallofmessiah.bandcamp.com/

CDs are inferior.

Unless your record set-up is subpar. At least CDs will give those folks a "clean" sound.

The only reason I still (rarely) buy CDs is for my car. My car stereo no longer reads burned CDs, but originals sound fine.

Which phono preamp did you have before, and what did you upgrade to? 

Yeah, I'm curious on your upgrades, cause I know you were scoring a pretty decent set up before hand. I can't imagine it was that flat. Funny thing about the sound is you don't know what you were missing till you upgrade. You tell yourself "this sounds amazing". They you upgrade your speakers or cart and you're floored. It's fun that way though.

Yeah, I do agree with you about upgrading components.  That's half the fun for me to swap things in an out and hear big differences.  Although, sometimes those can be bad differences ha!

My integrated amp is a Marantz PM5004 and I was using the inboard phono stage on it that I had read was pretty good all things considered.  I purchased a Musical Surroundings Nova (1st gen) with the switch to go battery power for about 3 hours.  I got a really good deal on it from Audiogon.  I don't know if you guys shop for gear on that site, it's mostly for audiophiles, but I've found some damn good deals on used gear.

The turntable I'm super excited about.  Clearaudio Concept.  It was also on Audiogon and it didn't have a cartridge.  Local guy in Seattle was selling it and had it offered super cheap.  He didn't particularly want to ship so that factored in.  It had the MCRU linear power supply upgrade and a custom made dust cover that he had made in Seattle.  I'm kind of dubious as to how much sonic improvement you actually get from a power supply, but whatever.  The point is, I made the drive up yesterday morning and bought it from him.  He listens to mostly electronic and said he preferred digital and since he was having another kid decided to give up vinyl.  I tried to hide my excitement because I absolutely got a steal.  I happily put my 2M Bronze on it last night--super happy with the results.

I'd rather hang out with a friend who likes good music and we jam out to it, rather than a guy who has a super expensive setup and just likes to show it off.

Yeah, I definitely spend time and money in what I play stuff on, but that's as much fun as buying records to me. No egos man. I couldn't give a shit about that.

Wow you guys make me feel so stupid when it comes to my embarrassingly basic set up haha. One of these days I should actually read up on this shit & get a real set up. You guys would be ashamed to come over & spin records with me haha.

Yeah, I do agree with you about upgrading components.  That's half the fun for me to swap things in an out and hear big differences.  Although, sometimes those can be bad differences ha!

My integrated amp is a Marantz PM5004 and I was using the inboard phono stage on it that I had read was pretty good all things considered.  I purchased a Musical Surroundings Nova (1st gen) with the switch to go battery power for about 3 hours.  I got a really good deal on it from Audiogon.  I don't know if you guys shop for gear on that site, it's mostly for audiophiles, but I've found some damn good deals on used gear.

The turntable I'm super excited about.  Clearaudio Concept.  It was also on Audiogon and it didn't have a cartridge.  Local guy in Seattle was selling it and had it offered super cheap.  He didn't particularly want to ship so that factored in.  It had the MCRU linear power supply upgrade and a custom made dust cover that he had made in Seattle.  I'm kind of dubious as to how much sonic improvement you actually get from a power supply, but whatever.  The point is, I made the drive up yesterday morning and bought it from him.  He listens to mostly electronic and said he preferred digital and since he was having another kid decided to give up vinyl.  I tried to hide my excitement because I absolutely got a steal.  I happily put my 2M Bronze on it last night--super happy with the results.

Sounds like a nice upgrade to me. I bet the sound is super warm, and full. Next upgrade for me is an amp and new MM/MC phono. Then eventually a Bronze cart, but that's a little while down the road.

I'd rather hang out with a friend who likes good music and we jam out to it, rather than a guy who has a super expensive setup and just likes to show it off.

Yeah, I definitely spend time and money in what I play stuff on, but that's as much fun as buying records to me. No egos man. I couldn't give a shit about that.

Haha I totally didn't mean to sound like I think there are egos at play here. It was more a passive way of complimenting you guys for putting in that kind of effort. I for sure want to at least upgrade my TT & speakers to something decent sometime in the near future. But I have a small house without the luxury of having the room for a nice big set up right now. Hopefully whenever we move I can have a sweet room dedicated to a nice set up instead of everything crammed into our living room.

Haha I totally didn't mean to sound like I think there are egos at play here. It was more a passive way of complimenting you guys for putting in that kind of effort. I for sure want to at least upgrade my TT & speakers to something decent sometime in the near future. But I have a small house without the luxury of having the room for a nice big set up right now. Hopefully whenever we move I can have a sweet room dedicated to a nice set up instead of everything crammed into our living room.

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC with some upgrades that I'd rather sell to you than throw on eBay...PM if you are interested and maybe we can work something out.

Sounds like a nice upgrade to me. I bet the sound is super warm, and full. Next upgrade for me is an amp and new MM/MC phono. Then eventually a Bronze cart, but that's a little while down the road.

It definitely is a very full sound.  Dynamics sound great with a lot of detail.  Definitely on the warmer side, I rarely get ear fatigue.  I'm definitely interested in upgrading my amp/speakers combo at some point.  I'm interested in tubes, we'll see.  I love the mid range of tubes, but sometimes the flabby bass can be annoying.  

I heartily recommend the bronze by the way.  What a great cart! I went right from the Red to the Bronze and it was one of the best decisions I've made.  I might explore MC at some point, but for MM the Bronze is tough to beat.

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC with some upgrades that I'd rather sell to you than throw on eBay...PM if you are interested and maybe we can work something out.

I appreciate that offer, but even a great deal is out of range for me at the moment. I definitely went hog wild buying records lately and I'm really trying hard to manage my expenses (aside from RSD next week which I've already planned for haha). So if you were looking to unload that any time soon I wouldn't wait for me. If later in the year you still have it though, I'd for sure be interested.

Either way thanks!

Enjoyed the setup chat. It is interesting how different rigs bring out things before unheard, or quality-wise, even within different rooms of the same abode.

Evan, we have neglected a really good band for page 1 -- UpcDownc ! (they had a really long name and abbreviated it)

One of the instrumental postrock bands (UK of course) that I listened to not long after the Sigur Ros ( ) and Takk resurrection of music in my life. 

I like Embers the best of the first 3 releases, and they just posted some demos from 2005 - few tracks that didn't make it to the official album, but probably my favorite track, McDoomish, didn't have a demo rep. In 2013 they released "Black Sea" on vinyl by Field Records in the UK and it was ~$20ppd to my doorstep. First time they added vocals I believe, and there is a lot of diversity, something for everyone, but I don't think anything would get the Gumbo ALL CAPS review lol.

I'm going to spend the rest of afternoon (school now finished with kids!) cleaning records and revisiting these guys.

The first track on the demos "Boneyard" should have made it onto the official album imo - has a very Mogwai feel, and I have enjoyed Fire Flies and The Creeping Fear in addition to McDoomish. "Cascades" was a real yawner though.

Sasan probably knows them well and likes some of their stuff I'd bet.

Embers Demos: https://upcdownc.bandcamp.com/album/embers-demos-2005

Real deal: https://upcdownc.bandcamp.com/album/embers

Black Sea: https://upcdownc.bandcamp.com/album/black-sea

Sasan probably knows them well and likes some of their stuff I'd bet.

Embers Demos: https://upcdownc.bandcamp.com/album/embers-demos-2005

Real deal: https://upcdownc.bandcamp.com/album/embers

Black Sea: https://upcdownc.bandcamp.com/album/black-sea

Don, my man...honestly, I listened to them a few years ago and totally forgot about them!

Don't know them too well...need to re-listen! It's scary how good you know me ;)

And totally agree with opinion on Boneyard! Should have been on the record!

Unless your record set-up is subpar. At least CDs will give those folks a "clean" sound.

The only reason I still (rarely) buy CDs is for my car. My car stereo no longer reads burned CDs, but originals sound fine.

In all seriousness this is why I get CD's too. I like to have the artwork and packaging, and it's for my car.

Plus, some stuff isn't on vinyl. And it's cool to still have the physical connection to the band, like with Degree of Arc's material and the early Joy Wants Eternity stuff.

Surprised nobody else really mentions Degree of Arc. These guys are absolutely fantastic.

• jhulud locked this topic