Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Dang, nvm Gumbo. Someone just got it from me on discogs.

Oh no, I'm not fully collecting. Those are just the records I have multiple copies of because there happen to be a bunch of cool-looking variants.

You would be insane to variant-collect Oceanic, there's like 20 haha. No way.

On another note, my fucking Bossk record is scratched on Side B, right at the end of the first track and pretty much half of the 2nd interlude track. First Ausserwelt, now this. ughhhh. I think I need to stop buying music for a while. My bank account has plummeted recently, and some bad karma seems to be working itself out here. I think I need to step back.

Will email Deathwish about this later. This record is also dirty as HELL for anybody interested in buying it. The mint green looks super cool and does sound great, but holy hell this thing is dirty.

Oh no, I'm not fully collecting. Those are just the records I have multiple copies of because there happen to be a bunch of cool-looking variants.

You would be insane to variant-collect Oceanic, there's like 20 haha. No way.

On another note, my fucking Bossk record is scratched on Side B, right at the end of the first track and pretty much half of the 2nd interlude track. First Ausserwelt, now this. ughhhh. I think I need to stop buying music for a while. My bank account has plummeted recently, and some bad karma seems to be working itself out here. I think I need to step back.

Will email Deathwish about this later. This record is also dirty as HELL for anybody interested in buying it. The mint green looks super cool and does sound great, but holy hell this thing is dirty.

My copy came really clean, with no pop or clicks. So they might have heard it was you ordering it and deciding to mess with you a bit. ;)  I did a cleaning of it anyway, cause duh. But you'll get a replacement with no hassle. DW has some of the best customer service I've ever dealt with. So don't fret. They are great at getting out replacements and not making people jump through hoops like some of the other labels.

//

Also, any die hard Jakob fans out there? I have a unused test press jacket for Sines. So it's not numbered or folded. It's free to anyone who wants it. Want to give it to a good home where it will be appreciated. Maybe hang that beauty on the wall. Let me know.

pphKLLz.jpg

Deadhorse, dark green /100 is up on Discogs. Hold off some other time. This one's got your name written all over it.

DONE!!! Fuck yeah man!!!

My copy came really clean, with no pop or clicks. So they might have heard it was you ordering it and deciding to mess with you a bit. ;)  I did a cleaning of it anyway, cause duh. But you'll get a replacement with no hassle. DW has some of the best customer service I've ever dealt with. So don't fret. They are great at getting out replacements and not making people jump through hoops like some of the other labels.

Yeah man, I stuck my hand inside the printed inner and it was a fucking beach in there almost. You could feel the grit all over the place. It's dark, too. Very odd.

No such luck on my Ausserwelt though; Wout won't respond to my emails now :(

I guess I'm going to have to open a claim. I don't want to fucking do that. He was so nice and cool.

Funny you posted it cause I was watching it. I already have it on black but I would grab it if it was under $10. I got it for $7.50. I'll probably use it to trade for other YoNL I don't have.

lol I was the $7 big you beat!

I bid, and then was like "Fuck, I said no more records for a while!" lol

Glad you got it. It's a steal of a price. I still don't know that record well enough yet though, but that price would have been nice. Tocsin and Ausserwelt are my essential YONL.

I said no more records, but I'll probably be buying the first couple Swarm of the Sun CD's on Discogs (I'M CALLING DIBS. FUCK OFF PEOPLE :D) tonight.

Haha... I was just given the Deadhorse record on green for nothing

WTF, how?

lol I was the $7 big you beat!

I bid, and then was like "Fuck, I said no more records for a while!" lol

Glad you got it. It's a steal of a price. I still don't know that record well enough yet though, but that price would have been nice. Tocsin and Ausserwelt are my essential YONL.

I said no more records, but I'll probably be buying the first couple Swarm of the Sun CD's on Discogs (I'M CALLING DIBS. FUCK OFF PEOPLE :D) tonight.

WTF, how?

My brother had 3 copies haha. He gave it to me after we were talking about it.

You guys... I'm watching live videos of The End of the Ocean. I can't even. This fucking band is so perfect. And watching them play this music is so freaking beautiful. I can't stand it!

Rest assured, as soon as any new dates are announced, I am fucking going to this. Seeing them is going to be like religious for me.

/tangent. But holy cow this music, live... it makes me feel like I want to burst.

AND

Gumbo, your hype meter for End of the Ocean is justified. I honestly slot them in my top 3 post-rock bands to see live. All of their songs have 200% more life in a live setting.

Dude, you're totally right! Those songs TAKE OFF, man! I couldn't fucking take it. I seriously listened to every live version of "We Always Think There Is Going to be More Time". I couldn't stop. It's like crack. They're literally perfect.

The dynamics that present in the music when they play this stuff live is totally crazy. You listen to that song on CD and yeah it's awesome, but you don't really get to see how massive the peaks and valleys are on this stuff.

They played like fucking 2 weeks ago too in Ohio. UGH.

Saw them at a small venue in Richmond (The Camel) and they seemed completely exhausted from the travel, complications, etc. but man did they kill it. 

Anyways, when I was in the "Gumbo stage" of postrock self-actualization ;)  Immanu El 's album, "They'll Come, They Come" was in regular rotation, and one of the rare albums my wife approves of.  Their 2nd, Moen was a let down, and "In Passage" made only partial redemption, but not the comeback like pg.lost pulled off with Key and the Wang Wen split.  

So, Immanu El is doing a KS, and those who have ridden all the way with them are probably on it already, but I I thought I'd post here nonetheless. Honestly, I'm going to wait until I hear the music before buying, and I just skimmed the levels, but didn't see a tier for Vinyl on this one. I was very skeptical of sleepmakeswaves ever hitting $22K for Cartography, but was dead wrong on their fan base.

edit: "Hibernation" is the newest...Dec 2016

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/immanuelband/immanu-el-hibernation.html

So, okay. Maybe I should give up buying records.

Just got my copy of Giants - "Old Stories" in the mail today. I got it from the dude that Butcha bought his cheap copy from on Discogs, the white/black splatter.

So, the dude sends the wrong record. I get the ugly mustard yellow/blue blob variant. I slide it out of the sleeve, inspect it, and its fucking CRACKED. I spun it just to see what would happen, and it skips at the end of Vessels, and has the general scratched record THHHKKK thwacky pop sound during the start of O' Tide.

VYHA9fn.jpg

That's 3 in a row I've had issues with. First, my Ausserwelt came scratched. Then, my Bossk record came scratched. Now, my Giants record is the wrong variant and it's CRACKED. Completely through! To both sides!

Also, I need your guys' opinion on my Ausserwelt situation. I've talked to Don about it, and he said open a Paypal claim. I feel like a dick because Wout did me a huge solid on the free shipping, but after offering evidence of the scratches on both discs, he won't respond to any of my emails.

Do you guys think its a dick move to open a claim? I just don't want to be uncool about this, but he won't answer me any more. I sent him videos so he can see.

Maybe I'll take my frustrations out and buy all these Fourteen Nights At Sea records from Hobbledehoy... ugh

My best guess for that crack is USPS dropping a heavy box on it. That sucks. If you didn't have insurance on it, you're kind of out of luck, unless the dude is super nice and will refund you half. Either way, that sucks, but we've all been there.

As far as the claim goes, how long have you been emailing him? And what exactly are you saying? Send him one last follow up and be super polite, and to the point. No filler or rambling. Just a quick...

'Hey, man.

I just wanted to shoot you a quick email about the Ausserwelt record you were so kind to ship me for free. Unfortunately upon inspecting it I noticed scratches. I normally wouldn't mind, but it effects the play. I was wondering what the next move is on this? Thank you for any assistance in the matter. I really appreciate it.

All the best,

Gumby'

As far as Bossk goes, send them an email to: [email protected]

'Hey, guys.

I hope this email finds you well. I just wanted to touch base with you about the Bossk album I received recently. Unfortunately upon inspecting it I noticed some scratches. I normally wouldn't mind, but it effects the play. I was wondering if I could possibly get a replacement? Thank you for any assistance in the matter. I really appreciate it.

[Attach order info here so they can look it up.]

All the best,

Gumby'

Happy emailing.

Saw them at a small venue in Richmond (The Camel) and they seemed completely exhausted from the travel, complications, etc. but man did they kill it.

Anyways, when I was in the "Gumbo stage" of postrock self-actualization ;) Immanu El 's album, "They'll Come, They Come" was in regular rotation, and one of the rare albums my wife approves of. Their 2nd, Moen was a let down, and "In Passage" made only partial redemption, but not the comeback like pg.lost pulled off with Key and the Wang Wen split.

So, Immanu El is doing a KS, and those who have ridden all the way with them are probably on it already, but I I thought I'd post here nonetheless. Honestly, I'm going to wait until I hear the music before buying, and I just skimmed the levels, but didn't see a tier for Vinyl on this one. I was very skeptical of sleepmakeswaves ever hitting $22K for Cartography, but was dead wrong on their fan base.

edit: "Hibernation" is the newest...Dec 2016

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/immanuelband/immanu-el-hibernation.html

Wrote the guys about a vinyl release...they said it will eventually happen (any nondigital release) after they reach the funding goal

My best guess for that crack is USPS dropping a heavy box on it. That sucks. If you didn't have insurance on it, you're kind of out of luck, unless the dude is super nice and will refund you half. Either way, that sucks, but we've all been there.

As far as the claim goes, how long have you been emailing him? And what exactly are you saying? Send him one last follow up and be super polite, and to the point. No filler or rambling. Just a quick...

'Hey, man.

I just wanted to shoot you a quick email about the Ausserwelt record you were so kind to ship me for free. Unfortunately upon inspecting it I noticed scratches. I normally wouldn't mind, but it effects the play. I was wondering what the next move is on this? Thank you for any assistance in the matter. I really appreciate it.

All the best,

Gumby'

That's what I have been doing with Wout. March 20th was the last time I heard from him. I had initially told him about the scratches, and that I would supply him with photos or video. And he said he was looking forward to them. We had emailed back and forth initially after I got the package, because he'd been so great and helpful that I wanted to let him know it arrived. In the initial email, I asked him if there was any recourse with his distributor for a replacement copy, due to it being scratched. I told him that I don't care about the Side A scratch, because it's at the very end of the song, but the side D scratch is about 2 minutes long and right at the beginning.

Then, once I sent the links that I've shown you guys here, he's gone silent.

Email 1 - 3/21

"Hey dude, so I couldn't really get pictures, but here's links to the video of the scratches for both LP's.

Side A scratch

Side D scratch

The Side D scratch goes on for a good bit more, my phone just ran out of space to record video, although the scratch does lessen in volume a little as you can see. Also on my side D, along the outer edges, you can see a streak of abrasion marks when you hold in the light just right, almost as if the record was ground against sandpaper or something. Not sure what causes this type of stuff.

Please let me know if there's anything we can do!

Thanks man,

Greg"

Email 2 - 3/30

"Hey man did you ever check out those links? I know you did me a solid on the shipping code so if you think I'm being over-eager, that's fine. I can totally reimburse you for that; having a clean-playing record is all I care about haha.

Let me know if there's anything we can do man!

Greg"

Those are the last 2 I've sent him.

I just want a clean copy of this damn record, man. NOTHING IS GOING RIGHT TODAY. I just found out the whole process I've been going through with old school to get some grades withdrawn has been handled COMPLETELY wrong, and I have to start all over. This has taken me 3 months to co-ordinate between deans of different parts of the school and advisors, etc. It's funny how different departments at a school have no idea what to do for each other, and don't communicate at all. SUNY Albany is kind of a joke. (I failed classes; my grandpa dying and my best friend killing himself and my parents getting divorced all happened within like 5 months of each other back in 2010 so I totally checked out mentally. Thought I withdrew at the time, but there are failing grades on my transcript. Trying to get those fixed so I can get my GPA up for my applications for the Fall semester at a new school. Blah).

Anyway... here's to a failure-filled Monday! haha

• jhulud locked this topic