Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Just gave Waking Aida's new album a listen. Pretty solid stuff. A good change of pace from all the post-metal lately. At times I was reminded of styles from ASIWYFA, Maybeshewill, TTNG, Tides of Man & even occasionally reminded me of what could be described as instrumental A Great Big Pile of Leaves. Very "mathy" post-rock & a solid listen start to finish first time through. "Matted Fur" was my favorite song right away.

Check it out...

www.wakingaida.bandcamp.com

Are you going through Christoph at Revolvermann?

Well I was looking at getting "Creatures" right now through Stargazer. I see that Revolvermann carries "The Sea Shaper", which I also want, but was aiming for Creatures first.

BTW, turns out I only need 1 other person to order Creatures with me to make it $30 total each. Shipping is the same for 1-2 copies, but doubles at 3+. I tried PMing the dude above the other day but hadn't heard back. If anyone else happened to be interested, let me know.

Gonna be so, so good.

Word.  I love all three of their albums for different reasons, but their songwriting and production have definitely gotten much more refined over the years.  I'm expecting great things from this album.  A single / music video should be right around the corner.

New Talons and Maybeshewill.  Damn good month for post-rockers.

sorry if this has been posted before, but anyone dig Fugue? they have since broken up but one of the most UNREAL instrumental bands i've ever heard, and they were basically high schoolers too which makes it all the more insane. 

i know at least Derek from TWIABP was a big fan, some seriously crazy shit, they had one 7" single that you can probably still get your hands on: 

http://fugue.bandcamp.com/

I really need to get off my but on Maybeshewill... oy vay, like Toundra, toe, ASIWYFA, etc etc etc

sorry if this has been posted before, but anyone dig Fugue? they have since broken up but one of the most UNREAL instrumental bands i've ever heard, and they were basically high schoolers too which makes it all the more insane. 

i know at least Derek from TWIABP was a big fan, some seriously crazy shit, they had one 7" single that you can probably still get your hands on: 

http://fugue.bandcamp.com/

I don't think Fugue have been mentioned. Someone from the old ATPR site recommended them to me in 2011 and my notes say: "uptempo jazzy postrock/prog - like Cancer Conspiracy meets early Maserati or TMP"

On paper that is sounding really good so thanks for the reminder....another to add to the list!!

I really need to get off my but on Maybeshewill... oy vay, like Toundra, toe, ASIWYFA, etc etc etc

Damn, both Maybeshewill and ASIWYFA?  You're slacking, Don!

I didn't really like the second Maybeshewill album initially, but it grew on me once I revisited it down the road.  Their debut absolutely blew me away though.

This was really good. I've never checked these guys out. Where's a good place to start, Derek?

For starters, I'd say their last album.  I Was Here For A Moment, Then I Was Gone.  They only have 3 albums, and all of them feature incredible piano melodies, strings, and nice riffs.  Their first album - Not For Want Of Trying - is stellar, too, but the production is a little rough around the edges.

I didn't really like the second Maybeshewill album initially, but it grew on me once I revisited it down the road.  Their debut absolutely blew me away though.

Also this.  It was a little too electronic for me, initially, and not nearly as memorable.  But it's grown on me a whole, whole lot over the years.  I Was Here... definitely has them dialed into a refined sound, in my opinion.  It's also the only album of theirs without samples or vocals, I believe.

Wait.  As in, you haven't checked out Maybeshewill?  Or Toundra?  Or ASWIYFA?

Don!  Donnn!  C'mon, man.

I meant, I'd listened to them and like them, but did not plunge into the REAL medium (vinyl) until the aftermarket - just too much other going on or misplaced priorities on my part. Mere mortal confessions here :(  

I have finished the Toe and Toundra that I want (well, really I want Toundra II but hate the cover and not family friendly, so I listen to my mp3s)

I know you're joking with me, Jonathan & Derek  :)

For starters, I'd say their last album.  I Was Here For A Moment, Then I Was Gone.  They only have 3 albums, and all of them feature incredible piano melodies, strings, and nice riffs.  Their first album - Not For Want Of Trying - is stellar, too, but the production is a little rough around the edges.

Thanks. I'll download it now and check it out.

Anyone ever listen to The Clouds Will Clear? Kinda reminds me of a Lowercase Noises mixed with a softer sleepmakeswaves.

They've got some vinyl available...

listening now.

message from them:

Hi All,

We have 2 days left to reach our target of 50 pre-orders.

20 are still required. That makes 10 per day...a huge challenge.

Share to support us in making the vinyl version of our EP happen!

We'll give you updates on progress here..!

Cheers.

• jhulud locked this topic