Greatest guitarist of our generation.

atticus

can't argue with john mayer. i've always had endless respect for that dude's skillz. and i have no shame in saying that i really really enjoy the first 3 albums.

since wilco was mentioned, i just want to throw it out that impossible germany is my favorite guitar solo of all time.

yes, he would fall into this category too. i agree,

not necessarily his work with chili peppers, considering californication has to be some of the laziest guitar playing i've ever heard recorded and somewhat appreciated, but his solo albums, 'to record only water' specifically, are fantastic.

also the record he made with omar.

JESUS CHRIST OMAR LOPEZ! HAS NO ONE MENTIONED HIM YET?

His first three albums are without a doubt some of the best albums created. I can't stand RHCP but John is fantastic. RHCP can go die

John Mayer is not the most technically proficient guitarist but he is a damn good collaborator and has a feel that can't be denied. If he had never hit it big with those shitty pop love songs, and had the consequential tabloid fallout, he would be a force to be reckoned with in the modern white boy rock-RnB scene.

Luckily those shitty pop songs made him independently wealthy so he can spend his days doing dope shit like playing with Pino fucking Palladino and Steve Jordan.

Forget you even know who the dude is for a minute. If you don't find this song immensely enjoyable and an example of incredible talent, or if you can't raise an intelligent counter argument beyond "haha lolz", then you're incapable of judging music beyond the confines of your own stereotypes and comfort zone.

John Mayer is not the most technically proficient guitarist but he is a damn good collaborator and has a feel that can't be denied. If he had never hit it big with those shitty pop love songs, and had the consequential tabloid fallout, he would be a force to be reckoned with in the modern white boy rock-RnB scene.

Luckily those shitty pop songs made him independently wealthy so he can spend his days doing dope shit like playing with Pino fucking Palladino and Steve Jordan.

Forget you even know who the dude is for a minute. If you don't find this song immensely enjoyable and an example of incredible talent, or if you can't raise an intelligent counter argument beyond "haha lolz", then you're incapable of judging music beyond the confines of your own stereotypes and comfort zone.

Wow, that was totes like amaze balls.  Ser.  

No wait, not ser.

Ser though, that shit is like as totes lame as it gets.

I've known for a while it's literally like talking to a brick wall about music on this message board so none of this discussion on "greatest guitarist" surprises me in the slightest.  I just rest easy at night knowing that I don't ever have an urge to listen to silly ass John Mayer and his cute lil' wonderland body.

It's cool. Trying to validate your musical tastes via a message board is a waste of time. There are communities dedicated to thoughtful, intellectual, objective music analysis. This is not one.

But I give you props for posting a jam band that people love to hate because of their rabid fan base, proceeded by an insult to the nonbelievers. Way to reinforce the Phish fan stereotype.

Unfortunately this band did a much better job of the extended jam format 40 years ago, and they're enjoyable even if you aren't high as a kite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5iBnZ63uh4

It's cool. Trying to validate your musical tastes via a message board is a waste of time. There are communities dedicated to thoughtful, intellectual, objective music analysis. This is not one.

But I give you props for posting a jam band that people love to hate, proceeded by an insult to your audience. Unfortunately this band did a much better job of the extended jam format 40 years ago, and they're enjoyable even if you aren't high as a kite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5iBnZ63uh4

Yes?  Haha, not a chance.  Bring the cheese baby!  I do give them respect for actually being talented with their instruments but you've gotta be even higher than a kite to enjoy that cheese-ball stuff.

Luckily I don't care about their lyrics or their lyrical content at all, although "Yours is no disgrace" is probably the best Vietnam War song written. They're all virtuosos, and if this topic were serious, Steve Howe would be in the running. He's a zombie and can still kick the ass of almost any living guitarist.