Ebay selling worries

mclz

I sold something on eBay recently and I'm ready to mail it Monday. Buyer with only 2 feedback pays, but emails me and says he doesn't want it anymore. My feelings is because of the cost of the item. I told him that there unfortunately aren't any returns. I did charge him for tracking and insurance. If the buyer ends up complaining to eBay or PayPal, am I as a seller covered since I have the insurance on the order?

Guest Justin Maheiny

You don't get the same customer service when buying a television at Best Buy as you would a piece of art an auction. Follow your return policy. For all you know this dude's eBay account is just a dumby account which he raises items up to see what he can get them for and then cancels if the item goes too high. The only thing he can do is give you negative feedback despite him being the one in the wrong.

Not to make myself sound like a dick, but he bought it and paid immediately. If he didn't want it, he should not have bid and paid. I think he saw completed auctions for less which is why he decided he "doesn't want it." I just want to make sure my ass is covered since I'm shipping with insurance.

Not to make myself sound like a dick, but he bought it and paid immediately. If he didn't want it, he should not have bid and paid. I think he saw completed auctions for less which is why he decided he "doesn't want it." I just want to make sure my ass is covered since I'm shipping with insurance.

Ya but as a seller if he says anything your screwed.   He can say that the mailer was empty and your screwed.   when buyers wave flags like he has you should back away instantly.   good luck to you if you choose to ship still.   keep us informed on his actions

Guest Justin Maheiny

He could say the mailer could be empty, but the mailer is insured for $60.

Ya. Anyone can do this. That's the risk of using eBay. I say mail it. It really only works off trust. He's got 2 feedback and I'm sure you've got a lot more so will look a lot worse for him than you.

I just had an international buyer tell me that his record came broken in 1/2 w/ a letter inside saying the post office had opened the package to inspect it for customs. I believed his story and felt bad so I was going to give 1/2 his money back or give him a different record but when I asked for a copy of the letter in the package by the post office he never responded. It didn't even occur to me he could be lying or trying to get something else out of me until he stopped responding.

There's a transaction cancelation on the seller's behalf on eBay where they simply message the buyer, have him click a 'yes I want to cancel this' button, then you refund him and get no insertion fee. Google it, it exists.

Sending the package will probably cause a lot more issues, perhaps if it were already shipped off you'd have a legitimate reason to deny a return. Just be cool about it. Tis the season and such.

I'd open a case, click the "buyer and seller agree to cancel the bid" give him feedback that reads, "AVOID THIS BUYER LIKE THE BLACK PLAGUE!"

Then Refund.

Then re-list the item :)

Definitely don't ship the item out. Because he could get the item, then claim the item is jacked up and he could photoshop all sorts of damages into it and you're screwed from there.

Yeah, the buyer sounds like a hassle! There are a lot of great reasons here NOT TO SEND. I mean, "if you haven't sent yet, shipping Monday" how does that fall under "no returns"? I see the "no refunds" angle but he already seems like a hassle. Just refund him because eBay is extremely buyer "friendly" anyway.

• 3 months later...

Worry: I sold basketball tickets, the game is tomorrow night but the buyer paid as an e-check that isn't scheduled to clear until the 13th. eBay states I am not seller protected and to not send until the check clears.... which is AFTER the game happens.

Weird: I sold physical stadium seats (chairs) in November (pick up only), 4 months later they are still in my living room. The guy doesn't contact me, I have to send him messages, and keep getting "I am going to try next week" The guy paid right away, so that's not an issue, and he can't file a claim stating I did anything wrong.. but it's just strange and I would like them gone already since they no longer belong to me.

Worry: I sold basketball tickets, the game is tomorrow night but the buyer paid as an e-check that isn't scheduled to clear until the 13th. eBay states I am not seller protected and to not send until the check clears.... which is AFTER the game happens.

Weird: I sold physical stadium states in November (pick up only), 4 months later they are still in my living room. The guy doesn't contact me, I have to send him messages, and keep getting "I am going to try next week" The guy paid right away, so that's not an issue, and he can't file a claim stating I did anything wrong.. but it's just strange and I would like them gone already since they no longer belong to me.

You really only have 1 viable option in my mind -- return the check, send the guy a message and say he can pick them up for cash (I'm assuming he can't be too far from you). If he says no, eff him and sell the tickets on craigslist.

Weird: I sold physical stadium seats (chairs) in November (pick up only), 4 months later they are still in my living room. The guy doesn't contact me, I have to send him messages, and keep getting "I am going to try next week" The guy paid right away, so that's not an issue, and he can't file a claim stating I did anything wrong.. but it's just strange and I would like them gone already since they no longer belong to me.

Tsk tsk... should've put that in the description "No e-check through PayPal, PayPal Funds and Debit card transaction only."

Well now you know

Selling tickets can be quite tricky with the timing and all...

There is one option I know of though. It involves both of you getting together and calling your banks. He can call his bank and request it to clear as can yours. What will happen is that the representative will ask one of you guys if it cleared the senders bank yet, in which the buyer will have to ahead of time, get information if it has cleared or not. I know Chase shows this online whether it has or not and you can save the photo of the check clearing as a PDF in which your representative will confirm and can manually see this and clear it for you...

I had to do this just last month with a check from my wife to my bank. 

So it's not impossible. Just depends how desperate you are and they have to be desperate with you to cooperate