Amazon Prime Air - Delivery By Drones

If it's not real they're trying to make it seem as real as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/l/ref=mh_rd_l?node=8037720011&device=desktop

It's going to happen. That time frame seems rather optimistic, but in 5 years, I definitely see it happening. This and 3D printing are going to be the next huge steps in how consumers receive products. You either download it and print it at home or get dropped on your doorstep in a matter of minutes.

It's only supposed to deliver packages something like 5 miles away from one of their distribution centers so it sounds like a neat idea for small packages. Would certainly help with pollution from the trucks but so would having people with bicycles delivering within 5 miles of their distribution centers.

I can't imagine using this regularly, but I know I'd use it once just to try it out.  I was pretty excited when Amazon started doing the drop boxes at 7-11 and other places around the city, until I realized that it still takes regular shipping time to get them to the drop box.  No idea why I wouldn't just have it delivered to my house at that point.

geez first people can't read and now they can't watch.

i watched the actual 60 minutes article.

10 mile radius of the "hub"

5 pound limit (most of the stuff they sell is 5 pounds or less)

get your stuff as fast as 30 minutes

not any time soon.

Obviously it's going to start very limited. But they're not going to invest this much time and money to just deliver small packages to places close to them. It will obviously take lots of time to go full scale and expand.

Obviously it's going to start very limited. But they're not going to invest this much time and money to just deliver small packages to places close to them. It will obviously take lots of time to go full scale and expand.

an amazon hub near the top twenty major cites would put them near many many people.  it would also put the within 10 miles of a bunch of us.  a bunch of us is more than we think.

i'm in atlanta, if you put an Amazon hub near Buckhead, a 10 mile radius would pretty much give you the bulk of Amazon customers in the greater ATL area.

i'm pretty sure most dildos and vibrators are less than five pounds, so the drone could drop it off quick like.

I've been working with multi rotors for about 8 months in the context of aerial video. Obviously the ones I work with are remote controlled rather than autonomous, so there's the added factor of user error, but these things are pretty serious. Amazon's going to need to get some military-grade software to make sure these things don't get into some big trouble. Trees, buildings, power lines, birds, douchebags throwing/shooting stuff, battery failure, component failure. Then you get into the landing issues and you have to deal with a lot of other stuff, but most notably the fact that so many people are going to be dumbasses and try to approach the craft while it's landing. I think the idea is nice in theory, but it's got so many aspects that can go horribly wrong.

Honestly, as much as I love Amazon and the innovation they pioneer, I've really been hoping multi rotors would stay on the down low. This move by Amazon is going to increase the stakes on the upcoming FAA decision, and it could cause a lot of trouble. Plus a lot of people are very ignorant about "drones" (if I could erase that word from common usage, I would) and this may cause even more backlash. But I guess we'll just find out.