OUT NOW: La Dispute - Rooms of the House

Did anyone else's white inner sleeve have like mud marks on it? I got my bundle copy, shrinkwrapped and that, opened it to have a little listen and there's actual mud marks on the paper sleeve.

Actual mud marks? Damn, I've been meaning to get this brown mark on my used school book checked out. Which scientist did you use to correctly identify it? Recommended?

I have the limited solid blue. willing to sell....

I like the record though, it's put together better as a whole album that flows well like "somewhere at the bottom". I dont feel this way about "wildlife" though. I'm not hating on wildlife.. I get people love the lyrics and I love a lot of elements of that album, it just seems like a record full of individual songs to me, all roughly 3-4 minutes... and it needs to be 3 songs shorter.

"Woman (in mirror)" is one fantastic song and "35" is great too.. love when the bass drum comes in : )

Anyone who's attended a show already, what did each bands merch look like?

La dispute had each of their albums ($15 for rooms, $20 for the others), lyric book, shirts of course, cds, etc...

Pianos has their albums + touche amore 7", coozies, shirts, etc..

Mansions had the new album and new best friends on vinyl + shirts, etc..

This album, to me, is easily their weakest yet. It's pretty scaled back, and it just never hits that hard. The lyrical content is cool at times, but there definitely aren't any "New Storms, "The Last Lost Continent," "Andria," or "I See Everything" type songs on here. In fact, I think the lyrics are straight boring.

I bet they're still great live, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

This one took a lot of time to warm up to. At first I hated it and could only listen to the first 3 songs. The middle portion of the album frustrated me to no end. Now I love it all though. However out of all their LPs this one still comes in last for me. But I suppose that's subject to change overtime.

Black version is being repressed btw

http://hellomerch.com/collections/la-dispute/products/rooms-of-the-house

You know what totally fucks up this album? Reading a PDF of the lyrics on a glowing tablet screen when listening to it. This album is great, but in my opinion LD is driven by lyrics and the lack of a proper lyric sheet with the standalone LP actually kind of takes away from the experience.

I know this is dumb, but it bothers me. Everyone one of their other releases I own I sit down with the lyrics and read along with the album. I do the same thing with Fucked Up.

I think the lyrics on this album are their best yet. Somewhere.... has its moments but also has some parts that make me cringe, and Wildlife is consistent overall but the concept as a whole is a little played out and gets old fast- at least for me- it's all a little heavy handed and the storytelling gets a little ridiculous even on the album's best songs. They are still really great albums and stand equally to Rooms of the House for other reasons, but this is the first La Dispute album where I've felt the lyrics are both beautiful and mature while still retaining a simplicity.

They have always been compared to Mewithoutyou and while I think it's a fair comparison it also isn't a particularly negative one, since that is a hard vocal style to pull off and not that many other bands do it. I feel they have lost the more Saetia-esque aspect of their sound that you get on the early stuff and on Wildlife a little bit. Aaron's Catch us for the Foxes lyrics are really beautiful and in a lot of ways that's what this reminds me most of, there is just a lot of energy on the tracks and they manage to have a lot of depth without being overplayed. This album doesn't rely on gimmicks or noodly riffs, no song has the immediate 'wow' factor that Wildlife or Somewhere.... does but I think this album is their most beautiful and artistically coherent, and for that reason I'm really happy with it, and think it could become my favorite La Dispute album in time if only because it is their first full length that I don't think has any glaring weaknesses. 

I think the lyrics on this album are their best yet. Somewhere.... has its moments but also has some parts that make me cringe, and Wildlife is consistent overall but the concept as a whole is a little played out and gets old fast- at least for me- it's all a little heavy handed and the storytelling gets a little ridiculous even on the album's best songs. They are still really great albums and stand equally to Rooms of the House for other reasons, but this is the first La Dispute album where I've felt the lyrics are both beautiful and mature while still retaining a simplicity.

They have always been compared to Mewithoutyou and while I think it's a fair comparison it also isn't a particularly negative one, since that is a hard vocal style to pull off and not that many other bands do it. I feel they have lost the more Saetia-esque aspect of their sound that you get on the early stuff and on Wildlife a little bit. Aaron's Catch us for the Foxes lyrics are really beautiful and in a lot of ways that's what this reminds me most of, there is just a lot of energy on the tracks and they manage to have a lot of depth without being overplayed. This album doesn't rely on gimmicks or noodly riffs, no song has the immediate 'wow' factor that Wildlife or Somewhere.... does but I think this album is their most beautiful and artistically coherent, and for that reason I'm really happy with it, and think it could become my favorite La Dispute album in time if only because it is their first full length that I don't think has any glaring weaknesses. 

Well said, I agree entirely.