I Don't Get The Hype

Thrice is pretty up there, too, as far as hype goes. I still enjoy their discography, and rank their songwriting and musicianship higher than a lot of bands that people get stoked on here at VC. But. Yeah.

I thought the purpose of this thread was to list bands that you don't like and are over hyped... How can you put thrice or some of the other bands you listed above on your list if you enjoy some of their discography?

I thought the purpose of this thread was to list bands that you don't like and are over hyped... How can you put thrice or some of the other bands you listed above on your list if you enjoy some* of their discography?

*All or most all of their discography.

Check my second post where I thoroughly covered this. Overhyped does not necessarily equate to "bad". Thrice is a solid band, but I don't think they deserve to be on the utmost pedestal that a lot of folks seem to put them on.

I don't get the hype behind posting topics like this so often.

I'm half kidding, but I have a valid point. This board appeals to ALL music genres provided vinyl records are involved. It's impossible for all bands to be appreciated evenly amongst every member here, so naturally one or two genres and a couple dozen artists will appeal to more people than others. A quick browse will of course show heavily populated Brand New and Thrice threads, but you will also see preorder threads for Katy Perry and Janelle Monae. Hell only a handful of us frequent the "Hardcore brethren" thread, but it still has like 50 pages or something. I personally am not a fan of ANY of the bands mentioned in this thread so far, but still read this forum in and out every day.

Not sure if that made sense I'm on my phone sitting in an airport and may or may not have done a good job collecting my thoughts, but I feel like I made a point.

Also, the term "hype" can't really be used for bands like Brand New or DMB, people have been obsessed with them for a long ass time.

I don't get the hype behind posting topics like this so often.

I'm half kidding, but I have a valid point. This board appeals to ALL music genres provided vinyl records are involved. It's impossible for all bands to be appreciated evenly amongst every member here, so naturally one or two genres and a couple dozen artists will appeal to more people than others. A quick browse will of course show heavily populated Brand New and Thrice threads, but you will also see preorder threads for Katy Perry and Janelle Monae. Hell only a handful of us frequent the "Hardcore brethren" thread, but it still has like 50 pages or something. I personally am not a fan of ANY of the bands mentioned in this thread so far, but still read this forum in and out every day.

Not sure if that made sense I'm on my phone sitting in an airport and may or may not have done a good job collecting my thoughts, but I feel like I made a point.

Also, the term "hype" can't really be used for bands like Brand New or DMB, people have been obsessed with them for a long ass time.

Awesome points

But to me, hype is the worst possible thing that can happen to a band... People start to expect certain things from you and who the fuck wants to play the same music night after night after night for 10+ years? Oh yeah... Metallica...

I won free tickets to go see metallica about 2 or 3 years ago. Let me first start off that I've never been into metallica whatsoever but I went anyways because you just can't beat free. They were fucking INCREDIBLE live. I wouldn't call myself a fan now seeing how I still don't ever listen to them but I'd go see them live again in a heartbeat.

Its weird, two of the most incredible shows I've ever seen are by two bands I NEVER listen to. Metallica being the first and Slipknot being the other. I went to see Coheed when they were on that slipknot tour and I enjoyed slipknot 100 times more than coheed.

I won free tickets to go see metallica about 2 or 3 years ago. Let me first start off that I've never been into metallica whatsoever but I went anyways because you just can't beat free. They were fucking INCREDIBLE live. I wouldn't call myself a fan now seeing how I still don't ever listen to them but I'd go see them live again in a heartbeat.

Its weird, two of the most incredible shows I've ever seen are by two bands I NEVER listen to. Metallica being the first and Slipknot being the other. I went to see Coheed when they were on that slipknot tour and I enjoyed slipknot 100 times more than coheed.

Yeah I'm sure both those shows were spectacles, and I do agree that you can't beat free. However, I'm just using Metallica as a reference for playing the same music for a majority of their careers. Anything after Garage Inc. was just the same repetitive MTV/FM Radio Rock.