Post Your Record Storage Area

not much of a collection compared to some people, but here it is!

[image]

That looks like mine. Mine is a leftover from a former roommate, and when it's full of records, I get nervous that it's really not going to hold. I've considered taking some off the shelves, but I haven't yet.

Yeah, some of the shelves that are supported by the plastic brackets aren't too strong. But there is one that is supported by metal brackets, so that's the one I have most of my LP's on. I plan on changing the plastic brackets to metal. In the mean time, I just divide the weight to each shelf as to not overwhelm it.

What "secure it to the wall" means is you should use the little 3 inch piece of cloth they provide, screw one side into your expedit, and one side into the wall.

A good bit of the furniture in my house is from IKEA, none of it is fastened. (I've got a bag with like 10 fastening kits in it). As long as your stuff is weighed down, I don't think it'll be going anywhere. (I.E. don't buy a 5x5 expedit, and only put records on the top shelf...)

I've never owned an Expedit but makes sense that you should fasten it against the wall or it might collapse like that one fateful picture.

That's not why that one collapsed -- the guy had it sideways (and it also wasn't even against a wall).

The bookshelf I got from IKEA that I'm using for LPs also came with an anchor to attach to the wall, but there were no instructions on how to do it and I don't live on a faultline, so I'm pretty okay without it.

I've never owned an Expedit but makes sense that you should fasten it against the wall or it might collapse like that one fateful picture.

That's not why that one collapsed -- the guy had it sideways (and it also wasn't even against a wall).

The bookshelf I got from IKEA that I'm using for LPs also came with an anchor to attach to the wall, but there were no instructions on how to do it and I don't live on a faultline, so I'm pretty okay without it.

But you live NEAR one...

Northeast Ohio has earthquakes often. Not the same magnitude as out in Cali, but they are there...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206675,00.html

There was one about a month or so ago as well.

But you live NEAR one...

Northeast Ohio has earthquakes often. Not the same magnitude as out in Cali, but they are there...

Well then, consider me pwned. I had no idea.

But you live NEAR one...

My parents' old house had structural damage from one of the ones in the mid-80s...

Earthquakes are crazy shit, I don't ever want to be present during one that is larger than a 5...

Also, I have a request/favor of someone who owns an Expedit...

Can you tell me the thickness of the boards? I am thinking about making my own bookcase and I want to base it on the Expedit. I can't fins anything that tells me the thickenss of the boards used on the inside and outside of the unit...

My parents' old house had structural damage from one of the ones in the mid-80s...

Earthquakes are crazy shit, I don't ever want to be present during one that is larger than a 5...

Can you tell me the thickness of the boards? I am thinking about making my own bookcase and I want to base it on the Expedit. I can't fins anything that tells me the thickenss of the boards used on the inside and outside of the unit...

earthquakes in california are pretty crazy sometimes...there hasnt been a bigger one in san diego for about 10 years or so, we are due!!....but the past few weeks there have been about 3-5 little ones!

my record storage is currently far from ideal. I live in one of those stupid ultra-mod houses with no visible storage space. The only shelving I have is in the top of my wardrobe, at least until I can install some kind of shelving myself. I can only access them with a step-ladder, so obviously it was quite hard to photograph so I apologize for the blurred pictures but I was trying not to fall and break my neck:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

and, of course, the trusty step-ladder:

[image]

top / bottom outer side walls: 2"

inner shelf "system" 5/8"

But you live NEAR one...

I doubt you have to worry. The last one I remember feeling was like 8 years ago, and I was in the 5th story of a building and it just shook a little. It's quite rare for them to do any damage.

top / bottom outer side walls: 2"

inner shelf "system" 5/8"

Thanks!

Yeah, me too. My expedit is against the wall on a level floor and it doesn't look like its going anywhere...

• jhulud locked this topic