2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

My store had a strangely high amount of Cake boxsets (at least 6), Paramore (saw 10), and Paranorman (probably shuffled through 15).

I picked up Built to Spill (for my new pal Shelbs), OFF! 7" (for Shitty Rambo, will pick up one for me later) and the Pantera/Poison Idea side-by-side. 

They didn't get a single copy of the Doors' Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine. That's all I wanted! That was it! And they had absolutely none.  :(

Store has a kinda cool kinda weird system...

There are probably 70 or 80 in line.

He's going down the line asking the first 50 people what their #1 is and trying to make sure they get them. Then first come first serve off our lists.

Kinda screws us because if I have the Blood Dragon OST as my #5 and person #40 in line has it at number #1 ... And they only get one copy, I lose it even though I was here hours before

Let's see how this plays out

Store has a kinda cool kinda weird system...

There are probably 70 or 80 in line.

He's going down the line asking the first 50 people what their #1 is and trying to make sure they get them. Then first come first serve off our lists.

Kinda screws us because if I have the Blood Dragon OST as my #5 and person #40 in line has it at number #1 ... And they only get one copy, I lose it even though I was here hours before

Let's see how this plays out

I'm actually a fan of that system. It would make me not mind standing in line. Eliminates a lot of disappointment. But I can also understand the frustration that it might bring.

Ended up getting the SDRE/Circa split, Regina Spektor 7", Dads 7", and Space Project 7" box set. Wish I could have gotten the 12" Space Project instead, and I'm so bummed I missed out on Glitch Mob and especially fun. Rough day. Up for trading or selling the Regina Spektor 7" and the Dads 7" if anyone really wants it.

That's crazy. I thought the Ghostbusters 10" was more of a general novelty/afterthought purchase. How much were they going for at the store?

Yeah, this one kind of surprised me, too.  My buddy got one and I think it was $14.99.  I looked at the 'bay, just out of curiosity, and there are already 45 copies of it on there.  With crazy prices, of course.  I don't even want it - just kind of amused by it.  This is the ugly side of limited releases ("collector's items").

Ended up getting the SDRE/Circa split, Regina Spektor 7", Dads 7", and Space Project 7" box set. Wish I could have gotten the 12" Space Project instead, and I'm so bummed I missed out on Glitch Mob and especially fun. Rough day. Up for trading or selling the Regina Spektor 7" and the Dads 7" if anyone really wants it.

I had both the 7" and LP of the space project and saw that the bands I wanted were not on the LP version only the box set... I put the lp down

Damn I had a very successful day! Minus not getting the Sunny Day Real Estate/Circa Survive I'm pretty happy! 

I luckily swooped up:

Mayer Hawthorne - Wine Glass Woman 7"

Nirvana - Pennyroal Tea 7"

Pretty Lights - The Hidden Shades 10"

311 - S/T

Atmosphere - The Lake Nokomis Maxi Single Picture Disc
Bruce Springsteen - American Beauty
Bonobo - Get Thy Bearings 
Disclosure - Apollo 
Notorious BIG - Life After Death 
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - Dap- Dippin 
Fishbone - S/T

It sucks that these records are being flipped, but there's another side to this whole thing. RSD is cool because it's "limited" and "exclusive". If the labels were to press enough records to meet the demand, the flipping wouldn't happen. Just food for thought.

How can you truly gage demand though? And if the records weren't limited, would the record stores receive the traffic that they do on RSD? People rush out because they want to get their hands on these records. If they were pressed in mass quantities, people wouldn't have camped outside of stores to secure their copies. Sure, the aftermarket prices suck and are unreasonable, but the whole point of RSD is to support local record stores and to help them receive business, and in that aspect, RSD is a success. This is something that has probably been said time and time again though.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯