2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

So close to grabbing the ONE copy of the cake box set my store got.

Oh well, I did the the only copy of Paranorman, and all 4 Death Waltz releases.

Some of the stuff people really wanted I saw lots of here.

Can't get everything I suppose.

The one thing I did really want, Dot Hacker 7", they didn't even have

Got in line @ 7, Cake was the only thing I needed. Thought I was gonna get jumped for it. I had like 4 people run up to me asking how many there were and how much.

same! i was first in line at 4:30 to get cake. the staff and the folks behind me made sure i had first dibs (even though a couple were after the same thing. they were awesome). the store only got two copies total and MAN...several people (who showed up a good few hours after me) kept shooting me death stares and snide comments about it while i walked around the store. folks were being downright nasty. 

to anyone that got Notorious BIG "Life after death" - does your copy skip often? I'm currently on side D and at least 5 songs skipped routinely.

I got through side B and had to stop listening there were so many skips.  Very disappointed considering how much it cost and the very bland packaging.

Got there a little late and missed out on Cage the Elephant, Nirvana, and Circa/Sunny Day :/

Did manage to get:

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Crosses - EP 3

Connor Oberst 7"

Garbage - 10"

Overall pretty good first RSD at Generation Records in NYC. Really disappointed I missed that Sunny/Circa split, so I'll be browsing eBay until a copy comes up for less that $30.

It sucks that these records are being flipped, but there's another side to this whole thing. RSD is cool because it's "limited" and "exclusive". If the labels were to press enough records to meet the demand, the flipping wouldn't happen. Just food for thought.

I totally get it.  Most of us on this board are totally into the whole limited/collector "thing".  That's a big part of record collecting for many.  I was mentioning the obvious downside to it: the "flippers".  

How can you truly gage demand though? And if the records weren't limited, would the record stores receive the traffic that they do on RSD? People rush out because they want to get their hands on these records. If they were pressed in mass quantities, people wouldn't have camped outside of stores to secure their copies. Sure, the aftermarket prices suck and are unreasonable, but the whole point of RSD is to support local record stores and to help them receive business, and in that aspect, RSD is a success. This is something that has probably been said time and time again though.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Again, I think we all agree that one of the main draws of RSD is the limited release.  We all dig it.  Unfortunately, the downside of this simple example of supply and demand is that there will always be those who use it specifically for their own quick financial gain.  Nothing wrong with it, I suppose.  Just frustrating when someone who truly wants something at a fair price is unable to get it.  But again, nothing new or unique here.  The record flipper is no different than a ticket scalper. 

same! i was first in line at 4:30 to get cake. the staff and the folks behind me made sure i had first dibs (even though a couple were after the same thing. they were awesome). the store only got two copies total and MAN...several people (who showed up a good few hours after me) kept shooting me death stares and snide comments about it while i walked around the store. folks were being downright nasty. 

You must have went to Turntable Lab... Cause I was in that line but wasn't going for the Cake Box set. But I was right behind the kid who go the 2nd/last one there. 

I was able to get everything I wanted, except for one that I had in my hands and let my friend get because that was all she wanted. Haha.

I shit you not, someone asked me if I could buy some doubles of records for them if he gave me the cash because he wanted to flip them. What the fuck goes through someone's head when they ask something like that? I declined and told him that it was a shitty thing to do and he just kinda walked away.

My List

7"

Devo/Flaming Lips

conor oberst

conor oberst/dawes

chiodos

David Bowie

Regina Spektor

One Direction

Ron Jeremy

10"

CCR '69 singles