Best Record Owner in America

I defended the song and called him an idiot. What don't you understand?

Wait are you Macklemore?

Yes I get it. He's an idiot, but he likes the song and you like the song. But he's the idiot?

This song was a #1 hit on Billboard. This is the same as Miley, Bieber, etc. 

Guest Justin Maheiny

Wait are you Macklemore?

Yes I get it. He's an idiot, but he likes the song and you like the song. But he's the idiot?

This song was a #1 hit on Billboard. This is the same as Miley, Bieber, etc.

I never said he was an idiot because of the music he listened to. I also never said I liked the song. I just said I thought it was better than the typical rap/hip hop you hear on the radio.

If you think a song instantly sucks just because its on the radio, you're either a naive child or a close minded idiot.

Right. You've never said why he was an idiot, which is why I was questioning you the entire time.

There's way better rap than that.

Nobody said the song instantly sucked as soon as it got on the radio. But the song sucks. It's on the radio. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but sometimes things are so right, they cannot be wrong. 

I've changed my whole mind. This is the kid I want to come in my record store. 

Guest Justin Maheiny

I've changed my whole mind. This is the kid I want to come in my record store. 

I hope he comes into your store and poops on all your vin-yils.

This guy is cooler than most VC posters. He has zero knowledge of how vinyl works, but he's into it. 

This newest generation, unfortunately, was raised with the compulsion to document and show off everything they think is cool about themselves and everything. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out once these kids are senators, but in the mean time I can't fault them for being dorks. There are cassette tapes somewhere in my parents' house of me singing my own made up lyrics over DC Talk songs. 

This guy is cooler than most VC posters. He has zero knowledge of how vinyl works, but he's into it.

This newest generation, unfortunately, was raised with the compulsion to document and show off everything they think is cool about themselves and everything.

Like the way this kid documents and shows off his Macklemore-inspired haircut to his imaginary fanbase on YouTube?

This newest generation, unfortunately, was raised with the compulsion to document and show off everything they think is cool about themselves and everything. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out once these kids are senators, but in the mean time I can't fault them for being dorks. There are cassette tapes somewhere in my parents' house of me singing my own made up lyrics over DC Talk songs. 

Seriously! He's going to cringe when he finally matures. Not necessarily because of the record post, but most of his videos and you hit the nail right on the head with the "needing to document" everything part. Thank goodness for me most of my ideas were blogged out when I was that young and no one reads so I'm safe!

I think Alex makes a great point. Part of the internet generation is used to having their alone time publicly broadcast or shared with the world, which in turn validates their experience. When, in reality, nobody cares if we buy records or comics or whatever else. 

I'm glad there are no tapes of me playing my favorite songs on the CD player with my guitar in hand rocking out in front of a mirror pretending to perform. 

Guest Justin Maheiny

I understand what you guys are saying about playing air guitar/singing along or whatever(I once took out the ceiling light in my bedroom while playing along to "Talk Dirty to Me" with a broom) but I was 11. This dude is a senior in high school. He's 17, maybe 18 years old. I've been out of high school for a long time now but I can't imagine this dude's extreme narcissism and immaturity are the norm for today's high school seniors.

I've been out of high school for a long time now but I can't imagine this dude's extreme narcissism and immaturity are the norm for today's high school seniors.

My best friends have a 19 year old (adopted) son.

From what I've seen of him and his friends, it is sadly the norm.

Stuff like this kid is doing, while funny/annoying as shit, is harmless.

It's the rest of the crap they post on Facebook, Tumblr, that's going to screw them in the end.

They don't seem to have any clue that potential employers will Google your ass. 

When all that shit comes up, these kids are fucked.

I'd hire this kid though.

i think this kid is totally cool.  i hope when i have kids they can be excited about music and things that aren't the most popular thing (vinyl records).  

is the kid a total idiot, yup.  he is a victim of his generation, but hey, i love the excitement and what could come from it.

Wait so this kid is an idiot because he literally learned something new about an antiquated form of technology and thought it was awesome? He is a teenager, not some 30 something discovering a record for the first time, shit guys, this kid was born in the mid/late 90's of course he doesnt know shit about records.

EDIT:  i'll reword that.  

this thread started completely bashing this kid and turned into somewhat admiring him and his level of excitement.  strange how one persons opinion here can open the floodgates.

Happy to see that I wasn't the only one to see the harmlessness in this kid and his antics.

Well, harmless unless you're a vinyl record but I'm sure he'll learn lol.

funny how one senior members post can influence everyones opinions so much.  this thread pretty much went from "what a fucking idiot/ loser" to "this kid is cool, give him a break".  

Meh.  I still think this kid is a loser.  There are a few solid points on both sides of the argument, and I echo the sentiment that it's cool as hell to see someone so passionate about music.  (Even if it's not necessarily good music.)  But if you checked out any of his other videos, you'd understand that he's kind of a tool.  He apologizes for "looking sweaty" and wearing a wifebeater.  He dedicates a video to showing off a new haircut, assuming that anyone would remotely care.  In this same video, he also makes it a point to show you that he's wearing dance pants.  They're different because the zipper isn't centered.  And yes, he will literally show you.

The whole "he's not 30, so he's allowed to get excited about old technology" is pretty questionable.  I'm 25 and didn't have any exposure to LPs growing up.  At the age of 19 or so I decided that it'd be cool to buy vinyl versions of my favorite albums, and invest in a turntable.  I had zero idea what I was doing - and it was cool to figure out, no doubt - but I certainly didn't think I was the bee's knees because I owned a turntable.

"But he's young!  He's allowed to be a putz and full of himself!"  I mean I guess so.  But I didn't see anyone take it as far as this kid does, in the four years I spent in high-school.  I know I'm not a teen anymore, but I don't consider myself dated.  I'm well aware that dependency on social updates and attention is the name of the game at his age.  There are just different ways to generate that sort of attention... and in my opinion, he's definitely approaching it the wrong way.  Maybe I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he only bounces off the walls when he's recording a video blog for all his fans on Youtube.  But if one of my high-school friends personally acted like that, I'd kind of assume he was just a conceited tool who loved Macklemore just barely less than he loved himself.  And I would be positively embarrassed to be associated with him.

Hopefully he matures a bit, while retaining that level of excitement for vinyl and music in general.  But when Macklemore and Bieber are your musical idols at the age of 16 or so, you've got your work cut out for you.  Maybe I'm jaded because I have some friends - a bit younger than myself - who had some incredible tastes at the age of 15 and onward.  (As "incredible" as tastes can be despite being completely subjective, that is.)

My 2¢, anyway.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Wait so this kid is an idiot because he literally learned something new about an antiquated form of technology and thought it was awesome? He is a teenager, not some 30 something discovering a record for the first time, shit guys, this kid was born in the mid/late 90's of course he doesnt know shit about records.

He's not an idiot for not knowing what records are. He's an idiot for paying 2-3 times more money for the vinyl version when he was trying to order a CD. He's an idiot for not using Google to look up "vinyl" when he clearly didn't know what it was but most likely grew up knowing how to use a search engine. He's an idiot for not knowing how to pronounce the word vinyl when it applies to many things other than records alone. He's an idiot for thinking he alone discovered some ancient technology and was responsible for enlightening the rest of the world to its existence. He's an idiot for thinking ignorance is something one should be giddy about and celebrated by sharing with others.

I'm not old enough to have had first hand experience of 8 track tapes, 78's, cars without seat belts, 60's soul, disco, the Vietnam war, Woodstock, and on and on, but yet I knew about a lot of these things by this kid's age because I wasn't busy creating an altar of self-worship by documenting every inane aspect of my life and posting it on youtube.

I view these kinds of videos like I am listening in on a conversation from a 15 year old to his group of friends -- not what a 15 year old giving a speech to the entire internet. If someone grabs it off a youtube feed due to the subject matter and posts it to a wide public, it's kinda being viewed out of context. We all speak/act differently with our friends vs. family vs. coworkers etc...