Best Record Owner in America

I view these kinds of videos like I am listening in on a conversation from a 15 year old to his group of friends -- not what a 15 year old giving a speech to the entire internet. If someone grabs it off a youtube feed due to the subject matter and posts it to a wide public, it's kinda being viewed out of context. We all speak/act differently with our friends vs. family vs. coworkers etc...

I think that's the nail on the head. 

it IS a 15 (or whatever) year old giving a speech to the entire internet.

How is it our fault for consuming exactly what he fed us and reporting how it tastes?

I do speak/act differently with friends, family, etc.

And I would sure as shit speak differently if I was speaking to anyone who might stumble upon what I have to say.

Especially the way I drink.

Wait so this kid is an idiot because he literally learned something new about an antiquated form of technology and thought it was awesome? He is a teenager, not some 30 something discovering a record for the first time, shit guys, this kid was born in the mid/late 90's of course he doesnt know shit about records.

Ok, I really don't mean to be a dick. I have consumed a lot of alcohol.

BUT...did he learn anything?

1) Sticks fingers in an 8 track and says "you can record your voice."

2) Uses ziplock to protect needle from dust, then drags it over stylus.

3) Wears rubber glove to keep fingerprints off of jacket, but films with gloved hand and holds jacket with bare hand.

4) Manhandles actual record.

5) Scratches record like a DJ saying that no one knows if that's bad for records.

6) Can't pronounce vinyl.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, honestly, I do. But this kid didn't learn anything. 

Yet he's making a video explaining things to other people.

God, I'm old and cranky.

Guest Justin Maheiny

I view these kinds of videos like I am listening in on a conversation from a 15 year old to his group of friends -- not what a 15 year old giving a speech to the entire internet. If someone grabs it off a youtube feed due to the subject matter and posts it to a wide public, it's kinda being viewed out of context. We all speak/act differently with our friends vs. family vs. coworkers etc...

He's a senior in high school so he's either 17 or 18. When you upload a video to youtube you have the option of listing it as private, unlisted or public. I'm sure he's aware of the private option and its ability to allow you to select who can and can't view your videos. I also think he'd be pretty stoked if each of his videos had a million views and wouldn't be all "Wait. Those were meant to be private".

p.s.

How do I know about things like posting videos to youtube? Because I'm a 37 year old man who has video game videos on youtube with thousands of views. Speaking of immature....

He's a senior in high school so he's either 17 or 18. When you upload a video to youtube you have the option of listing it as private, unlisted or public. I'm sure he's aware of the private option and its ability to allow you to select who can and can't view your videos. I also think he'd be pretty stoked if each of his videos had a million views and wouldn't be all "Wait. Those were meant to be private".

p.s.

How do I know about things like posting videos to youtube? Because I'm a 37 year old man who has video game videos on youtube with thousands of views. Speaking of immature...

I just assumed it was more a case of "I'm going to make a video post that my friends/followers will watch and leave it public because...why hide it" not "this is intended for my friends eyes only so I will make private".

It's an assumption, yeah. Just trying to put my 15 year old self in his shoes. Maybe I'm in left field. Just didn't get an authoritarian "this is how you listen to vinyl records" feel from it. More of a "hey, I'm learning" feel. Just find it harder to rip a kid like that (regardless of the dumb comments). It's less aggravating than a know-it-all who really doesn't.

Anyone who buys and listens to vinyl records over other audio formats is A-OK in my book.

Hear, hear.  Even if he's unsure how they work or how to handle them, it's the thought that counts.  We should formally invite him to join VC.  Maybe Secular Haze can rig a giveaway in his favor, and we can get some more Youtube gold.

Aw I don't think he's so bad, just uneducated on the subject of vinyl records. I love his enthusiasm (but we all know people on here can't handle much of that ;))

He was literally so surprised and honestly its a little endearing because he's so innocent. He's not trying to educate people like he's an expert he's just excited and wanted to share. Who cares?

Let's all stop this nonsensical bickering and agree on the one thing we all know is absolutely certain:

Grandpas have record players not CD players.

It's Grandpa code!

Anyway, I think its kind of refreshing to see a person get that excited about discovering a new form of music, even if it is over Macklemore. 

Where I found the Macklemore kid to be ernest and endearing I find the Sunn kid obnoxious. I guess I stand corrected to a degree. The internet fucked a lot of things up but nothing more than making boring ass people think they are interesting enough to tape, blog, share their every second. I at least get how boring a person I am. 

Before I knew who Macklemore was, some dude told me I looked like him so I immediately looked him up (because I'm old and don't know what cool is anymore). I don't hate it, though this video made me feel super uncomfortable. That's not a bad thing, I was super duper awkward at dudes age, so I'm thankful YouTube wasnt a thing back then. And if it was, my homage videos to Saves the Day and AFI may have forever gone down in history

i just subscribed to his channel, i encourage you all to do the same

He's probably going to do more vee null uploads since it's probably getting a crap ton of hits

My favorite all time scene was the .... "Wait check this out... *scratches record like a disc jockey*"