Best Record Owner in America

I honestly didn't see anything wrong with Eric's video when he first put it up, and I still don't.  It was cool to see him open up that box since hardly anyone pulled the trigger on it.  It was also nice to hear him call it like it is; a lot of folks would've been brainwashed into loving whatever it is that they just spent $200 on, and defending the contents, regardless of the quality.  I agree with tomfiend — I'd watch more of his unboxing videos, especially if they contained additional commentary.

Also, that shrinkwrap arm flail.  Never forget.

I don't think anyone, now at least is ripping on his video. But seriously, that thing was $200? Wow.

I don't think anyone is being rude or anything of the sort, either, but there are a few comments that imply he should or may be embarrassed... when I personally don't see why. He even addressed the packaging, gatefold, quality of the prints, etc. As far as unboxing videos go, I've always thought it was par for the course.

But yeah. $65 and change per album. So steep. I have a few friends who were greatly anticipating that release until the price-tag was revealed. At which point they all laughed and shrugged.

I honestly don't remember being that excited about the packaging of any record I bought at that age. I'd always look at it eventually but all I wanted was the music. So I was thinking about how vinyl has become a cheap trinket since advance downloads are so popular. It's just a different generations connection but I always went straight to the music and could give a shit less about the cover. Then again the only way to get the music was via the physical format. 

Lesson: Getting old is weird but not as weird as making videos of yourself opening records. 

I honestly don't remember being that excited about the packaging of any record I bought at that age. I'd always look at it eventually but all I wanted was the music. So I was thinking about how vinyl has become a cheap trinket since advance downloads are so popular. It's just a different generations connection but I always went straight to the music and could give a shit less about the cover. Then again the only way to get the music was via the physical format.

Lesson: Getting old is weird but not as weird as making videos of yourself opening records.

Agreed to an extent. There's no point in recording a video where you're splitting the shrink off a commonplace $12 record you just snagged on Amazon. And while you're right when you say that music (should) trump packaging, there is a certain amount of justifiable attention to be given when a record [set] costs $200+. He's showing off something that very few people bought, and that even fewer are willing to share with the world via YouTube. I think that's cool. I have very little interest in kitchen knives... but if someone pays an exorbitant amount of money for a limited set of knives that few people end up owning, I'd probably check out the "unboxing video" and commentary just to see what all the hype is about. Maybe I'm just weird.

I like his enthusiasm. My comment should have been more of a "to each his own" tone. I simply can't connect with the experience however since I also never had $200 to spend on a record. I've said it before - I got into vinyl since it was the cheapest way to get the most music. I get the allure beyond that but yesterday at the thrift shop I skipped over the vinyl for three new books full of cds marked 50cents. 

I don't like laughing about someone else's enjoyment either, I simply can't relate. Like I said: I'm getting really old. 

Agreed to an extent. There's no point in recording a video where you're splitting the shrink off a commonplace $12 record you just snagged on Amazon. And while you're right when you say that music (should) trump packaging, there is a certain amount of justifiable attention to be given when a record [set] costs $200+. He's showing off something that very few people bought, and that even fewer are willing to share with the world via YouTube. I think that's cool. I have very little interest in kitchen knives... but if someone pays an exorbitant amount of money for a limited set of knives that few people end up owning, I'd probably check out the "unboxing video" and commentary just to see what all the hype is about. Maybe I'm just weird.

One of the reasons why I wanted to do it, I really enjoy seeing a record's packaging, which is why I posted it because I knew that others would want to see I'm not sure if you read the description but I went more in depth in there:

"This is my awful unboxing of the The Weeknd's House of Balloons Trilogy, vinyl boxset.
The most important thing is that the records sound fantastic, but this cost $199 before shipping and the packaging could have been better, sadly the signatures are fake, and they are blurry and slightly pixelated. The cover printing for Echos' could have been 10x better it's too dark and my copy has a distinct discoloration on the white of the album. The +s in the bottom corners of all albums are pixelated, along with a look that makes me think "were these sized right?". The inside of the gate fold is just simple black which i don't mind but I do mind the cardboard warping on the inside of the of the gates. ALL of the Polly sleeves are ripped, and the lack of lyrics is extremely disappointing."

But I agree with what you said about the unboxing a rare thing rather than a common thing. I just thought I'd share the video just because

I also like those this is my record collection videos, and I told myself I will make one once I hit two crates worth.

Man, do all unboxing videos totally neglect to talk about the actual music contained on the records? If the album is that good, talk about it so people might wanna check it out instead of worrying about whether it's signed or comes in super heavy card. 

edit - sorry, just read the replies above. 

Man, do all unboxing videos totally neglect to talk about the actual music contained on the records?

Yes. It's an unboxing video. You're being presented the physical contents contained in the box.

I've watched many unboxing videos for turntables that never even get plugged in during the duration of the video, and then a review video is usually posted later.

Yes. It's an unboxing video. You're being presented the physical contents contained in the box.

Yup. What you're after, canine, is actually a review. They come in the flavor of videos as well. I watched an unboxing of the super-deluxe (and super-pricey) Daft Punk boxset a couple of weeks ago. Dude was very thorough in exploring the contents, showing it to the viewer, and explaining what it was. If he went on and on about the album itself, I definitely would've muted the video. Chances are you have at least an inkling of the music if you cared enough to check out the unboxing video, you know?

Yup. What you're after, canine, is actually a review. They come in the flavor of videos as well. I watched an unboxing of the super-deluxe (and super-pricey) Daft Punk boxset a couple of weeks ago. Dude was very thorough I'm exploring the contents, showing it to the viewer, and explaining what it was. If he went on and on about the album itself, I definitely would've muted the video. Chances are you have at least an inkling of the music if you cared enough to check out the unboxing video, you know?

You might like this one then!: