I loved this entire season. Never understood the seemingly vehement internet hate for it. Michael Scott best describes how this finale made me feel: "It feels like somebody took my heart and dropped it into a bucket of boiling tears. And, at the same time, somebody else is hitting my soul in the crotch with a frozen sledgehammer. And then a third guy walks in and starts punching me in the grief bone." 

pretty impossible to compare the two seasons. I don't think anyone would have liked if it was a carbon copy of season 1. I can't wait to go back and marathon this. I think the acting was just fine and the story will be a little less convoluted without the week delay between each episode. the build up and finale was a lot better in S2 than S1. I think people already wrote it off unfortunately.

anyone else catch the line in the finale mirrored the one in the first? frank said "we get the world we deserve" in ep1 and ani said "we deserve a better world" in the finale.

pretty impossible to compare the two seasons. I don't think anyone would have liked if it was a carbon copy of season 1. I can't wait to go back and marathon this. I think the acting was just fine and the story will be a little less convoluted without the week delay between each episode. the build up and finale was a lot better in S2 than S1. I think people already wrote it off unfortunately.

anyone else catch the line in the finale mirrored the one in the first? frank said "we get the world we deserve" in ep1 and ani said "we deserve a better world" in the finale.

The whole season is completely different in almost every conceivable way, and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed this season so much. It stuck with the core ethics, trials, and tribulations of what True Detective has to offer, but still kept it new, intriguing, and had you guessing. At the end of each episode I was left wanting more, just like the previous season, but for all new reasons. I agree, as I found the build up of the season 2 finale to be a lot more satisfying than it's previous; even if season 1 had the better acting. It's unfortunate that people are writing it off, because I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Maybe those people went in with preconceived notions, and since it wasn't another season 1 (which they said it wouldn't be), they were let down. That's their own damn fault I suppose.

And I thought that line coming full circle was so satisfying. I want watch it all over again. I'm sure there are things I missed.

How could you not love this scene?!?!?!

LameUncomfortableBufflehead.gif

It's easy to hate what you don't understand: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/fans-critics-fine-true-detective-season-2-finale-criminal-article-1.2320394

Even if it was only episodes, to put time into 3 main characters just to watch them die, fuck that was rough, and I loved it.

Man. I'm not sure how I feel about the season exactly, I know I don't really want to do it again quickly. I honestly thought it was worse in just about every way than season one. I wouldn't call it bad, but I wouldn't call it great either. I for sure don't think it is as bad as some people make it out to be, there definitely seemed to be a lot of critics who just wanted to pile on.

After I finished, I made my way to the Internet to catch up on opinions, explanations, and just any tidbits that I'd missed. And while doing this pointed out an extreme amount of plot holes, it didn't change the fact that I was on edge that entire episode. Some heavy shit went down, and I was anxious as hell waiting for it all to play out.

Without the internet exposing me to a vast amount of negativity, I loved it. But I understand why others aren't totally on board. I just think that the HATE HATE HATE HATE is overdoing it, and that those people made up their minds 6 episodes ago.

I wouldn't say this season was a let down because there was no way they were going to have the same impact as season 1. Season 1 was like a new way of doing TV and since then, other shows have done it.

That said, I just couldn't follow this season. I had a hard time keeping up with everything going on and in turn that made it somewhat not fun to watch. I almost forgot it was on a few times and I always had to watch it a second time to catch everything. But I can't wait for season 3.

People who compare the quality of the second season to the first season are letting themselves down. They're trying to compare apples to oranges, that's just how different these two are. As a stand alone season, S2 is pretty good. The finale tied it all nicely, although... shit... fuck!. That's all I gotta say. 

Season 2 wasn't consistently compelling to me and at times, it just felt too dull but that was one of the best finales I've ever seen. I may watch the whole thing again someday because I'm looking at all these flashbacks and early hints in this thread and I completely forgot about them.

After Woodrugh, I had a feeling either Ray or Frank were gonna die but both of them? Fuck. I mean, I didn't expect a happy ending after being pleasantly surprised by Rust and Marty surviving Season 1 but damn, that shit was depressing.

I do love how basically every tweet shits on Season 2 and calls the finale 'underwhelming' but on Wikipedia it says it generally received positive reviews lmao.

I enjoyed the season as a whole. I knew Ray was a goner once he headed to see his kid.

People who compare the quality of the second season to the first season are letting themselves down. They're trying to compare apples to oranges, that's just how different these two are. As a stand alone season, S2 is pretty good. The finale tied it all nicely, although... shit... fuck!. That's all I gotta say. 

Me and my barber were talking about it and the one thing we both agreed on was that if this was just called something else almost all the critics wouldn't have as much venom for it. But they can't let go of the fact that even though they both carry the title of True Detective there is absolutely nothing attaching the 2 seasons and if they get another season it will probably be completely different than both 1 & 2.

I didn't hate this season but it definitely wasn't the bee's knees. As I mentioned before the story was just really convoluted. There was just took much backstory crammed into this and none of it was that interesting. The biggest difference between this season and the first is that the characters didn't really have any personal stake in the case until it effected them directly. In season one Rust was obsessed with their case so much that it basically drove him crazy and he worked as a catalyst to the destruction of Marty's family (although he would've probably fucked it up anyway). The finale was good but they overdid it to some degree. Season one had a brighter ending while this one was extremely bleak.

Plus the killer reveal was pretty lackluster and confusing.

I don't want to compare the two seasons because they're completely different shows, however neither exist in a vacuum. It seems like people either insist on loving this season or hating it, I'm right in the middle. It wasn't awful but it could've been so much better.

My idea of Ray not making it began with him recording the message to his son immediately after getting mad at him for losing his new shoes.  I can't remember exactly what he said, but I remember it struck a chord.  Then, it immediately made me realize that he was making a diary of sorts, to leave for his son.  He probably envisioned prison for himself at some point, at the very least.  

Frank dying finally made sense to me when Osip told him he bought the liens/notes on the clubs.  Ep. 7.  Frank says he's done, and that this is as good a time as ever to get out.  Osip tells him "We never get out, Frrrraaaaank" - We knew Frank wasn't the type to be told what to do.

Me and my barber were talking about it and the one thing we both agreed on was that if this was just called something else almost all the critics wouldn't have as much venom for it. But they can't let go of the fact that even though they both carry the title of True Detective there is absolutely nothing attaching the 2 seasons and if they get another season it will probably be completely different than both 1 & 2.

Exactly

I didn't hate this season but it definitely wasn't the bee's knees. As I mentioned before the story was just really convoluted. There was just took much backstory crammed into this and none of it was that interesting. The biggest difference between this season and the first is that the characters didn't really have any personal stake in the case until it effected them directly. In season one Rust was obsessed with their case so much that it basically drove him crazy and he worked as a catalyst to the destruction of Marty's family (although he would've probably fucked it up anyway). The finale was good but they overdid it to some degree. Season one had a brighter ending while this one was extremely bleak.

Plus the killer reveal was pretty lackluster and confusing.

I don't want to compare the two seasons because they're completely different shows, however neither exist in a vacuum. It seems like people either insist on loving this season or hating it, I'm right in the middle. It wasn't awful but it could've been so much better.

I definitely didn't love it but i enjoyed it.

My barber cuts the hair of a guy who works at HBO and apparently the ending they ended up shooting for season 1 was different than what was written because Game of Thrones went over budget so HBO had to take some of it out of the finale for TD season 1. He didn't say what the ending was supposed to be though.