Just got to watch this. I actually really enjoyed this season. I thought the back stories of the characters were good, casting was pretty good, and you got more invests as time went on. Was obviously very different from Season 1 but I came in hoping that it would be, only because I knew they couldn't do the same thing twice. Wife says the only disappointment was how short this season was. Seemed like there was more to the characters that could have been played on.

Really liked the season. It was ambitious and well produced and I loved Ray's character whole-heartedly while either liking/hating the other characters. Ani was pretty great, too. I thought the 2nd half really won me over after a Luke-Warm start.

Also, am I crazy, or did the lyrics and delivery of the theme song change with each episode in the last half of the song? I swear it was always different. Kinda trippy.

To be fair they only had 2 leads in the first season, in the second there were 4.

Very true, It just seemed like this season went by so quickly and the only character they really spent any significant time developing a backstory for was Ray. The other backstories/little dialogue parts they did on the other characters to give you some idea of where they came from just felt rushed and/or like throw away dialogue.

woodrough simply didn't need to exist. his entire story was nonsense filler.

and that fits the narrative that i've been reading quite a bit the last couple days- that there simply wasn't enough story to tell here to fill 8 episodes.

I don't understand why we can't compare the two seasons?  They had the same writer.

To me, they are just so different in every way regardless of being the same writer and series name. I personally went into it knowing it was going to be a completely different animal than season 1 and viewed it as having zero connection. The same will go for season 3 if that happens.

I mean. It was the story of detectives whose murder investigation spiraled into a web of institutional corruption, sex crimes and coverups from high ranking players.

So was season one. Both of which were written entirely by the same writer. I think it is fine to compare and the judge season one against season two. Honestly, you should be comparing the two, so should HBO. Criticism is an important part of growth.

That concludes my personal opinion.

To me, they are just so different in every way regardless of being the same writer and series name. I personally went into it knowing it was going to be a completely different animal than season 1 and viewed it as having zero connection. The same will go for season 3 if that happens.

I get where you're coming from but it's all in the same universe. Season two shouldn't be immune to comparison for novelty's sake. I honestly think they didn't assume season one would hit as hard as it did and so S02 had a lot to live up to.

To play devil's advocate the two seasons are so drastically different of course fans were going to be somewhat discontent, all the details aside the first was more of a suspense crime drama and the second was more of a gritty pulp action series. That's a big leap. The format they're using is experimental, which is why nobody should be surprised by any backlash. People are just used to a show keeping the same tone throughout it's run, even when it reboots between seasons (i.e. American Horror Story).

I mean. It was the story of detectives whose murder investigation spiraled into a web of institutional corruption, sex crimes and coverups from high ranking players.

So was season one. Both of which were written entirely by the same writer. I think it is fine to compare and the judge season one against season two. Honestly, you should be comparing the two, so should HBO. Criticism is an important part of growth.

BINGO

I finally got around to the finale tonight and really enjoyed it. I'd give this episode an A- and the season as a whole a B-.

If they had paced the first three episodes better and the mid-season reset felt more earned as a culminating midpoint climax rather than a confusing, unexpected story explosion, the season would have been better received. Second half was waaaay better than first.

Also, Vince Vaughn's choice to play a character who is awkwardly trying to act like something he isn't made critics attack him as being a poor actor. I thought all his scenes as the true Frank were well acted and I buy that the awkward stuff early on was a choice to play Frank as awkward in his new straight skin.

Also, people hated this before the season started it seemed like. The rocky first half only made it worse. Hate watching is the new way of watching TV shows now to the point that some people eagerly anticipate and plan to hate watch things before they've actually seen them.

I liked this season for sure, and didn't have a terribly hard time following the plot. I got over the whole "this season is so different from season 1" thing by the second episode. But man, I really didn't like Farrell and Kitshch's performances. And I usually really like Farrell, but the more dramatic scenes with him (especially the custody battle stuff) were killing me! I don't get the hate for Vaughn. The beginning of the season was a little weird for his character but it seemed to stem from some clunky dialogue to me. Thought McAdams killed it.

I get where you're coming from but it's all in the same universe. Season two shouldn't be immune to comparison for novelty's sake.

I can see the other side of the coin, and i don't fault anyone for comparing them.

Just for me personally i went into it completely detached from Season 1.

I liked this season for sure, and didn't have a terribly hard time following the plot. I got over the whole "this season is so different from season 1" thing by the second episode. But man, I really didn't like Farrell and Kitshch's performances. And I usually really like Farrell, but the more dramatic scenes with him (especially the custody battle stuff) were killing me! I don't get the hate for Vaughn. The beginning of the season was a little weird for his character but it seemed to stem from some clunky dialogue to me. Thought McAdams killed it.

I actually liked Farrell a lot this time. Usually I'm not really a fan of him, but scenes like the one in prison, where he was talking to his wife's rapist, that was intense. But I agree on Kitsch's weak performance.

I liked Farrell and McAddams the most.

Vaughn was much better once I got a handle on his character and his last few eposodes were great.

Kitsch did fine. Just a weak character.

Plus. I found the like underlying message of his death odd. "Too bad you're gay because we wouldn't have been able to extort you if you just liked yourself and were proud of yourself!"

Plus I loved his scene with Ray in the car together

A lot of the dude characters were trying to be something they weren't.

Ray was a good dude who was trying to be a bastard.

Frank was a cunning gangster trying to be a sophisticated businessman.

Kitsch was a tortured gay dude trying to be a masculine guy who was unaffected by his past.

Each of them ended up dying and losing everything because of their attempts to be those things they weren't.  If Ray hadn't killed that guy, Frank hadn't tried to go into business with Semyon, and Kitsch had been openly gay, they'd prob last a little longer on this earth.