PO Soon: Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

The way you phrased this is really funny – assuming (and hoping) it's facetious.

Otherwise I'm not sure what to think.

Totally. I almost said "I love how sad this bitch is" but figured I'd get thrown in front of the firing squad because people here have no sense of humor. Every time a Lana song comes on, that's what my girlfriend says, verbatim haha. 

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Totally. I almost said "I love how sad this bitch is" but figured I'd get thrown in front of the firing squad because people here have no sense of humor. Every time a Lana song comes on, that's what my girlfriend says, verbatim haha. 

I know there's a small crowd on VC who celebrate her material, and that's fine, but I've legitimately read comments (elsewhere) that praise her "gloomy" aesthetic and champion her as the queen of sullen indie.  It's just a relief to hear you parodying that instead of supporting it – I never know on these boards, anymore.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I know there's a small crowd on VC who celebrate her material, and that's fine, but I've legitimately read comments (elsewhere) that praise her "gloomy" aesthetic and champion her as the queen of sullen indie.  It's just a relief to hear you parodying that instead of supporting it – I never know on these boards, anymore.

I like some of her music, but I think the gloomy persona is fucking hilarious. Mainly because everyone I know personally that listens to her is the complete opposite of that. Her track "High by the Beach" cracks me the fuck up, especially the music video for it. Every time I hear/see it, I'm like "Fuck yeah, Lana. I'll get high by the beach witchu girl. "

25 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I think Alexandra Savior has taken that crown now anyway.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

It's always struck me that the people who make those kind of proclamations just haven't dug any deeper. There's a lot of casual listeners out there who don't invest the time in music that most people here do, they're happy with a chart compilation and identifying songs by their respective choruses and that's fine. To people like that I can see why she would stand out against her other mainstream radio contemporaries.

Still hyperbolic fans and the information age go hand in hand, there isn't a band on youtube with under a million views who doesn't have somebody saying "THESE GUYS INVENTED RECORDED SOUND EVERYTHING BEFORE IS NULL AND VOID" in the comments section in spite of the wealth of evidence to the contrary.

I personally jam pretty hard to all of her stuff and really loved Honeymoon so I'm pretty excited for this. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, nardes said:

I really don't understand this cover... it looks like a first day of school picture taken by her mom, on an iPhone, who has no idea what they're doing besides "pointing and shooting"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ur point???? Lol Seems they were going for 70s hippie country style to me..

3 hours ago, ethanpricington said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ur point???? Lol Seems they were going for 70s hippie country style to me..

I'm getting strong 70s vibes as well.  I hope the album turns out to be an inside look at Lana's earlier days.  It'd be interesting to hear her detail her journey from cheery and thicc to slim and sad.