Emery - You Were Never Alone

Dang that's the one I wanted. Wish they would've put up pressing numbers

I emailed BC about the overseas variants from Rude Records and this was their response:

"Hey Justin,

One of the variants was offered internationally through the IndieGoGo campaign, with a few extras that are now being offered oversees. The other variant isn’t actually available yet, but will be released at a later date.

Thanks,

Reva Hansen
BC MUSIC"

It kind of makes no sense to me. How is there an "international" variant for IndieGoGo supporters?

I emailed BC about the overseas variants from Rude Records and this was their response:

"Hey Justin,

One of the variants was offered internationally through the IndieGoGo campaign, with a few extras that are now being offered oversees. The other variant isn’t actually available yet, but will be released at a later date.

Thanks,

Reva Hansen
BC MUSIC"

It kind of makes no sense to me. How is there an "international" variant for IndieGoGo supporters?

That makes no sense to me either. 

"Hey Justin,

Thanks,

Reva Hansen
BC MUSIC"

Weren't the only Indiegogo options the /200 with alt cover art and "regular joe" ?  There was never a mention of colored vinyl. I'd wager this person doesn't know what they are talking about. Then again, neither do I.

Weren't the only Indiegogo options the /200 with alt cover art and "regular joe" ? There was never a mention of colored vinyl. I'd wager this person doesn't know what they are talking about. Then again, neither do I.

No you are correct. And it really pisses me off that the people who did the funding for this campaign aren't the ones getting the limited vinyl. Even the regular joe vinyl should be limited but it's not. We are the ones that believed in them before hearing anything at all. We are the ones getting fucked over. I for one hate emery now. I want nothing to do with this fucking band.

No you are correct. And it really pisses me off that the people who did the funding for this campaign aren't the ones getting the limited vinyl. Even the regular joe vinyl should be limited but it's not. We are the ones that believed in them before hearing anything at all. We are the ones getting fucked over. I for one hate emery now. I want nothing to do with this fucking band.

You sir, are over reacting. If you don't want to support a band, then don't. You are not getting fucked over, I'm pretty sure they will provide you with the product you paid for :)

I imagine that something like record variants are fairly petty to them. They're selling their product and the over seas color variants are probably an afterthought that they just went with without consideration for the people that funded the album. like I've said before in this thread... (or it might have been the other emery - ywna thread) ... these guys are good at making music but not so good at running a business and remaining likable people. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just went back and re-read what I funded on the campaign and this is what it says for the $200 package:

"Prime Package + DOUBLE MEGA VINYL Signed and hand-numbered limited-edition vinyl pressing of YWNA with special edition artwork PLUS a signed test pressing of YWNA. Handwritten lyric sheet of your favorite Emery song, part of song, or just your favorite line. Please add $15 for international shipping."

If they don't follow through with this stuff I'm going to be so pissed. What's sad is I can actually see Emery doing that..

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take it. Coin toss between me and Nate.

Let's make this Rock-Paper-Scissors or something now. I'd be interested  ;)

anyone want my vinyl i got with the indiegogo, i want nothing to do with this band at all. I will seriously throw it in the trash if someone doesn't want it.

What a bummer, I totally understand though. I felt the same way with my Austrian Death Machine vinyl...

Oh my god, the whining is real. If you remember, they weren't even offering a regular vinyl for the IGG at first and it was all going to be preorders except for the bigger packages. Then, people whined, so they added a regular vinyl option. No frills. If they call it "regular joe", it's probably pretty basic. Yeah, people who supported them should get a cool variant, but they weren't even going to offer a regular vinyl for the campaign until people whined about it. They are offering a special vinyl for the IGG, and you could have gotten it, but you wanted a "regular now" vinyl, and that's what you're getting. I'm not happy about how long we have to wait or some of their business practices, but I chalk it up to them just not being abreast of all the vinyl trends and knowing how to do it. But you know what! They did it, and we're getting vinyl. If people want to act like children and throw away their vinyl, fine, but stop whining about it. I'm not defending all the of band@/ practices, or the way they handled some things, I know some of it was kinda shitty but they've also never self-released a big album before. All I'm saying is, you didn't have to contribute to the campaign, you could've waited for the PO and got a flashy color, but everyone wanted a regular vinyl option, so they gave you one, and now everyone's whining about it. I'm annoyed that the album took this long and that these guys aren't good at communicating, but this album is really, surpassingly great and even if I get a black vinyl with the alternate cover, I'll be content.

Oh my god, the whining is real. If you remember, they weren't even offering a regular vinyl for the IGG at first and it was all going to be preorders except for the bigger packages. Then, people whined, so they added a regular vinyl option. No frills. If they call it "regular joe", it's probably pretty basic. Yeah, people who supported them should get a cool variant, but they weren't even going to offer a regular vinyl for the campaign until people whined about it. They are offering a special vinyl for the IGG, and you could have gotten it, but you wanted a "regular now" vinyl, and that's what you're getting. I'm not happy about how long we have to wait or some of their business practices, but I chalk it up to them just not being abreast of all the vinyl trends and knowing how to do it. But you know what! They did it, and we're getting vinyl. If people want to act like children and throw away their vinyl, fine, but stop whining about it. I'm not defending all the of band@/ practices, or the way they handled some things, I know some of it was kinda shitty but they've also never self-released a big album before. All I'm saying is, you didn't have to contribute to the campaign, you could've waited for the PO and got a flashy color, but everyone wanted a regular vinyl option, so they gave you one, and now everyone's whining about it. I'm annoyed that the album took this long and that these guys aren't good at communicating, but this album is really, surpassingly great and even if I get a black vinyl with the alternate cover, I'll be content.

Do you really think i was going to pay 200$ for a color emery record? the regular and that are so fucking far apart. And they said the only vinyl was going to be exclusive through this. so the whole i could have waited argument is null. if that was the case im sure most people would have waited.

Do you really think i was going to pay 200$ for a color emery record? the regular and that are so fucking far apart. And they said the only vinyl was going to be exclusive through this. so the whole i could have waited argument is null. if that was the case im sure most people would have waited.

I've done a few crowd funding projects and Emery's was by far the highest price for a vinyl perk, ($100) so I didn't pay. And they announced the regular Joe way to long after, so I figured on waiting for maybe an extra one that was pressed. Really disappointing though to see that they may have mass produced this. Even the regular version was supposed to be "limited" to #300.

And to say everyone wanted a "regular black vinyl" option is absolutely incorrect. What everyone wanted was a vinyl option that did not cost 100$-$200, regardless of color. I wouldn't care if it was black or colored, but had some indication that I backed them or made it exclusive is some tiny way. That is what is upsetting, the whole novel you typed is completely misunderstanding everything.

If they would have stated, we will release a normal vinyl which is the same as this, i would have waited. But they didn't so I was under the impression that the options were a limited regular vinyl, a 100-200 signed vinyl or NOTHING AT ALL!

And to say everyone wanted a "regular black vinyl" option is absolutely incorrect. What everyone wanted was a vinyl option that did not cost 100$-$200, regardless of color. I wouldn't care if it was black or colored, but had some indication that I backed them or made it exclusive is some tiny way. That is what is upsetting, the whole novel you typed is completely misunderstanding everything.

If they would have stated, we will release a normal vinyl which is the same as this, i would have waited. But they didn't so I was under the impression that the options were a limited regular vinyl, a 100-200 signed vinyl or NOTHING AT ALL!

I agree with the lack of transparency on this release, but you make it sound like it was a pre-order. This was a crowd funded album release. They should have handled the vinyl options better but the way crowd funding works is you don't pre-order things; you help them create the album and in return they give you gifts based on the level you donated. So, when you state the option for the $100-200 priced record, you are misrepresenting that donation as the price of a record.

I agree with the lack of transparency on this release, but you make it sound like it was a pre-order. This was a crowd funded album release. They should have handled the vinyl options better but the way crowd funding works is you don't pre-order things; you help them create the album and in return they give you gifts based on the level you donated. So, when you state the option for the $100-200 priced record, you are misrepresenting that donation as the price of a record.

You are miss understanding where i am coming from. I know the vinyl itself is not 100$, but the cheapest option with the vinyl is 100$, or 200$. So technically the only way to get the record is to spend 100 or 200. And if you think a t-shirt, signed poster and vinyl is worth 100$ you have to be joking. I am just referring that the only way to get the other vinyl is to spend the 100-200.

You are miss understanding where i am coming from. I know the vinyl itself is not 100$, but the cheapest option with the vinyl is 100$, or 200$. So technically the only way to get the record is to spend 100 or 200. And if you think a t-shirt, signed poster and vinyl is worth 100$ you have to be joking. I am just referring that the only way to get the other vinyl is to spend the 100-200.

That sounds, to me, very opportunistic and capitalizing on the vinyl boom. I still feel that the point is still being missed that you are helping them make this album, and in return they are giving you items that they feel match the amount. The problem you seem to be having is that you helped them create a record and in turn, they did not handle getting you a record in a decent amount of time or make it worth your while by giving you some sort of exclusivity. I totally get that, but you also DID help them make the record, which people who bought the album after it was made did not. Silver lining?

It's silly to think that a band like Emery would press 200 vinyl that's exclusive to the campaign and then wouldn't have an actual pre-order later. I'm pretty sure that at the time it went up, the phrasing on the page and the emails made it out to sound like there would be a full PO later, but that the $100 packages were for people who wanted a special vinyl. I never said people wanted a regular black vinyl, I said people wanted a cheaper vinyl, and they gave it to them in the form of a black vinyl, and I'm pretty sure that was made pretty clear when it went up. It's none of your concern who pays $100 or $200 to the campaign. I paid for a test press because I got the limited record, test press, posted, CD, shirt, and hand-written lyrics to my favorite song from a band I've been listening to for ten years, and that's who those expensive packages were marketed toward. They said when they first started talking about a new record that it would be on vinyl, CD and digital, before the campaign ever went up, so it was pretty safe to assume that it would be released on vinyl for the rest of the people who just wanted a basic vinyl later on. But people didn't want to wait, and now they're all pissy because Emery gave them what they wanted, and then proceeded to do what every band who releases a record these days does, put it on vinyl with variants. $30 for a record is not all that uncommon in crowd funding. I'm not saying it's good, but it's not uncommon. Many bands who have never done vinyl on their own do crowd funding campaigns with vinyl costing $50. I've seen at least two or three instances of that. And then there was no cheaper option. Like ifworkpermits said, the point of a crowd funding campaign is for a band to ask the people who are devoted to that band to help, and if you contribute to that campaign, expect to pay more for what you get. That's just the way it works, in most cases. Emery didn't run the best and most clear campaign but it's nowhere near the worst I've seen. And as far as my 'novel' misunderstanding everything, again, I have to agree with ifworkpermits and say that you're mistaking a campaign designed for the hardcore fans of the band to help them make music with a pre-order system in which everything is laid out nice and neat and cheap. Someone who's going to say "fuck this band, I want nothing to do with them," because of the wording in a campaign that was written a year or more ago doesn't sound like someone who should be contributing to crowd funding. But whatever. It's your money, I'm just saying stop acting like they should have made a special variant just for you because you have them $30 after everyone asked them to put something in the campaign that wasn't even originally going to be there. If you wanted the exclusive variant bad enough, you could've paid for it, or you could've waited.

Again, this is coming from someone who had no problem paying a lot of money to help a band I've loved for a decade make music, and not everyone will or should do that. I'm just annoyed by whining and entitlement. Sorry for the 'novel'.

Also, in case you didn't mnow, I'm pretty sure the vinyl is delayed. You could probably, I dunno, talk to the band or management and cancel the pledge and get whatever variant you might want, and end up paying more for it because on IGG, shipping is included, and on their site, it's not. You could go with Amazon, but I'm pretty sure that ones black.