PO: THE MARS VOLTA De-loused In The Comatorium 2LP

The surface noise on MOV releases cannot be alleviated with a carbon fibre brush or by cleaning (spin clean or vacuum). I have tried both on my cypress hill record which has bad surface noise, far worse than this Mars Volta record. Deloused only has very marginal surface noise but it is there and can be picked up fairly easily with resolving equipment which is a shame, but generally the likelihood of this occurring seems to be lessening over the years.

EDIT: I cannot comment on others experience with this record... the colours seem very hit and miss, some alot worse than others.

Im beginning to think I may stay clear of MOVs coloured limited edition copies as they seem to have it more than the black versions which follow. Will keep buying colour but if I get another like Cypress then I will definitely stop buying the colours (But im such a sucker for coloured vinyl ahaha).

Cedric is just salty he wasn't involved. Seems rather childish to me, to be honest.

I'm hoping when my silver copy arrives it's relatively light on the surface noise issue. This would be one of the few albums where I'd feel like it could really ruin it if it's too much. It seems like the issue isn't that bad for most people here who've received theirs so I'm confident it'll be just fine.

Sorry dude, but my cd that doesn't have surface noise sounds better.  I think I got a bad copy.

You can probably contact MOV and/or the company you bought it from to get a replacement. That said, I'm assuming yours is colored... And the replacement would be black. You'd still have the colored to look at though! 

My friend did this with the Chris Whitley MOV reissue of Living With The Law. Now that one DID have surface noise... on black vinyl. Unfortunately the replacement was identical. So a bad run... And no telling when/if they'll do a second one. This shouldn't be an issue with Mars Volta tho.

If no one is complaining about surface noise on the black you should be fine getting a replacement that plays quiet.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/05/17/a-word-on-misusing-bootleg-and-the-mars-volta/

A word on misusing ‘Bootleg’ and The Mars Volta

On Friday, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, of The Mars Volta, lashed out against Music On Vinyl’s recent reissue of the band’s debut album, De-Loused in the Comatorium. Calling the release first and foremost a “bootleg,” Bixler-Zavala would label Music On Vinyl as “some idiot” that’s “pocketing the $” and the release as a “fraud.” And while Bixler-Zavala is free to attack the practices of the Netherlands-based reissue label in whichever way he prefers, especially considering the label doesn’t seem to be working with the band on this release, this is yet another case of the word “Bootleg” being misused and delivered to fans in a misleading manner.

Screen-Shot-2014-05-16-at-7.19.36-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2014-05-16-at-7.19.44-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2014-05-16-at-7.19.52-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2014-05-17-at-5.25.58-PM.png

Technically, a bootleg is a recording made, sold or reproduced in an illegal manner, which in this case would mean that Music On Vinyl simply pressed the material to vinyl without securing any of the proper documentation that comes with reissuing music. This is simply not true. MOV, a label that’s reissued hundreds and hundreds of albums, while occasionally doing so in regard to legendary work, has done so without finding itself at the center of these sorts of controversies in the past. The label may not be securing band approval, but it doesn’t mean that they’re not going through the proper legal channels. And it’s unfortunate for Bixler-Zavala to claim otherwise.

The ethical quandary to releasing something not “band-approved” is a whole other issue, and something we’ll talk about on the next podcast episode, but it’s tiresome to see such a simple concept being misused in the public light, and thus, being used to mislead fans. What Music On Vinyl is doing is legal and is not a bootleg, no matter what Bixler-Zavala or others have to say about it. Recognizing that the music business may be harsh is one thing, but falsely telling fans something is a bootleg is entirely different.

And finally, a short and sweet word from Music On Vinyl, delivered earlier today.

Screen-Shot-2014-05-17-at-5.23.15-PM.png

It's probably unnecessary, but thank you to all involved who helped clear the air on this whole "bootleg" incident. A lot of people, including myself, would tend to believe the artist more often than not just because it is their music, after all, but you guys have made the pursuit of truth much easier via this thread, which I appreciate. And thanks to MOV for not putting up with Cedric's bullshit and giving the people what they want.

This may have been addressed, but it seems like Cedric is also mixing up the true bootleg that was being sold on Discogs from the UK and the MOV release.

His comments about "some idiot" pocketing the cash on a "poor quality" release seems like he's not referencing MOV at all. Wouldn't he just call them out by name if he was that upset?

It's probably unnecessary, but thank you to all involved who helped clear the air on this whole "bootleg" incident. A lot of people, including myself, would tend to believe the artist more often than not just because it is their music, after all, but you guys have made the pursuit of truth much easier via this thread, which I appreciate. And thanks to MOV for not putting up with Cedric's bullshit and giving the people what they want.

Yeah, this thread was a huge help for me as well. I love the music, but this guy...

stupid that the numbering is on the sticker. i hate these resealable sleeves that stick to the jacket when you are removing or returning the records. 

Should be noted/clarified that this pertains to the US version from SRC only, as the EU MOV pressing on Gold are foil stamped and numbered on the back of the gatefold sleeve.

You can probably contact MOV and/or the company you bought it from to get a replacement. That said, I'm assuming yours is colored... And the replacement would be black. You'd still have the colored to look at though! 

My friend did this with the Chris Whitley MOV reissue of Living With The Law. Now that one DID have surface noise... on black vinyl. Unfortunately the replacement was identical. So a bad run... And no telling when/if they'll do a second one. This shouldn't be an issue with Mars Volta tho.

If no one is complaining about surface noise on the black you should be fine getting a replacement that plays quiet.

Kind of what I'm thinking.  I'm just a little bugged, because I LIKE the color, but will go for black each and every time if it sounds better.  I do have the silver Deloused, not gold.  And I also put in a PO for the blue Amputechture through SRC so now I'm all skeptical.  Shoulda just got black of both of them to maximize my chances of good sounding records.

I was also pretty disappointed with the severe seam splits on the Deloused.  Not sure if that happened from the shipment across the pond, the shipping from SRC to my place or a combination of both but my inners are pretty much ruined. 

I was also pretty disappointed with the severe seam splits on the Deloused.  Not sure if that happened from the shipment across the pond, the shipping from SRC to my place or a combination of both but my inners are pretty much ruined. 

SRC will send you new inner sleeves if they were torn in shipment.

Just email them with your order info. Happened with the TDAGARIM release too...

I was supposed to get this in the mail today from SRC, I emailed back and forth with them 6 times to try to save the 5$ shipping on this and the Starting Line release, I get the package today with just the starting line release. So pissed. I knew I shouldn't have tried to save money, this is SRC we're talking about. 

Might be a silly question but I've always been curious as to how it exactly those mats cut down on surface noise. My cartridge is superb at picking up detail but that means it also magnifies any and all noise on my records. I'd be down for anything that could alleviate that.

I honestly don't know the science to be completely honest with you. But I have a couple mats and my sleeve city carbon mat added a bit to the bass and almost completely killed the static and surface noise. I thought it might've been a placebo effect but after switching back and forth on the same album it's noticeable. For 40 bucks it was worth it for me, also I run an m97xe cart just for an idea of what I'm working with.

just got my silver from SRC today! listening now and this thing sounds unbelievable. having owned and sold the og pic disc press, i gotta say this is amazing. so much crisper, louder, and all around wonderful. plus this silver is the first "clearish" silver i have ever seen. looks soooo nice. so happy to have this again in such an awesome presentation. 

as for people dealing with surface noise, that really sucks. i have a pretty average sony turntable with a cork slipmat and i have yet to hear even the slightest of surface noise, even on quiet parts between songs. i know my cork slipmat helps a lot, because previously i had a felt mat and everything has sounded better since i switched to the cork slipmat. may be something for folks to consider.

I'm happy to report that I'm just a dumbass.  The record cleaner I have is the KAB EV-1 that only works as well as your household vacuum is working.  When I was sweeping today, noticed it wasn't picking up shit.  Took it apart and found that it was massively clogged up with random 2-year-old child debris (goldfish pieces, etc.)  Cleaned it up real good and thought, "hmmm... i wonder if this caused my cleaning of the Deloused records to fail and therefore why it sounds awful..."  So, I recleaned my Deloused records and wala!  no more surface noise!  I'm very happy now with the way this record sounds and even happier that I'm not going to drop additional coin on a black copy.  :D

I'm happy to report that I'm just a dumbass.  The record cleaner I have is the KAB EV-1 that only works as well as your household vacuum is working.  When I was sweeping today, noticed it wasn't picking up shit.  Took it apart and found that it was massively clogged up with random 2-year-old child debris (goldfish pieces, etc.)  Cleaned it up real good and thought, "hmmm... i wonder if this caused my cleaning of the Deloused records to fail and therefore why it sounds awful..."  So, I recleaned my Deloused records and wala!  no more surface noise!  I'm very happy now with the way this record sounds and even happier that I'm not going to drop additional coin on a black copy.  :D

Get your inner sleeves replaced still!