PO: THE MARS VOLTA De-loused In The Comatorium 2LP

MOV have released these both in Europe and the USA, so whoever owns the rights must have leased them to MOV for both markets. So unless Cedric is completely unhinged (which is possible), the band do not have the rights to them in either market. To me this makes a Nadiesound release unlikely unless whoever does owns the rights is extremely greedy (again very possible).

This may be an overly simplistic view of the market so feel free to correct me if you know more.

MOV doesn't necessarily have control over who or what company imports them to other areas of the world. Bands often sign different deals for different areas of the world with different companies. It doesn't make it any less legit.

I wouldn't know though, maybe someone along the chain has done something sketchy. I don't think that's the case, but, again, I don't have a copy of the legal documents here with me, so...

Oh and I LOVE that Cookie Monster GIF.

Wow, I missed all of this.  Here's what it comes down to for me:  I just want to listen to the music.  Based on the reviews so far about the MOV press, I'm very excited to hear it for myself when my silver one shows up.  Throwing around this technicality of official/unofficial means very little to me.  I just want a great sounding copy of a great album.  The drama kills me.

One of the guys responding to his rants is from MOV, I think. The guy who told him to check the EU distro rights.

To anyone worried, this is a classic case of the artist NOT having complete control of all rights. Universal obviously had the rights to EU distribution and the leased those rights to MOV. As someone else explained, Cedric, legally, may not have had to be involved/informed/consulted in ANY way. So therefore he may not know. MOV is a legit company that does everything legally according to the rights holders of the music they put out. If they were sketchy in any way they would risk losing all any pressing rights, and business is booming, so they wouldn't do that.

Calm down. It was discussed previously IN THIS VERY THREAD about Nadie's intention to repress all the Volta material. Bottom line:

GSL picture disc -legit

MOV gold/silver/black -legit

Nadiesound (future) -legit

Bullcrap bootleg- Cedric is pissed at you and hates you so go fuck yourself for buying counterfeit records.

I'm the guy who told Cedric to check his rights, but I'm not affiliated with MOV in any way, just FYI.

I received a private message from Cedric saying that the band have worldwide vinyl rights. While I'm not sure if both the band and Universal holds these rights, I know that Universal holds the rights, at least for EU (maybe worldwide as well). The MOV-releases are a 100% legit.

I'm the guy who told Cedric to check his rights, but I'm not affiliated with MOV in any way, just FYI.

I received a private message from Cedric saying that the band have worldwide vinyl rights. While I'm not sure if both the band and Universal holds these rights, I know that Universal holds the rights, at least for EU (maybe worldwide as well). The MOV-releases are a 100% legit.

My mistake. You sounded official enough, I guess. ;)

It's too bad this stuff happens where there is a communication breakdown and so much confusion. It's also too bad that they couldn't have taken care of these reissues a long time ago and avoided any potential problems with counterfeits and licensing.

It's too bad this stuff happens where there is a communication breakdown and so much confusion. It's also too bad that they couldn't have taken care of these reissues a long time ago and avoided any potential problems with counterfeits and licensing.

exactly. Its not like people weren't begging for this for years. Every response was "soon" or "someday" and now theyre just pissed because someone else got to it first. Evrything you need to know is in the second part of that tweet: "...and we will get the money"

how has no one posted a picture of their record here yet?

i'm expecting mine today, but surprised no one is showing them off yet.

Pictures you say? I put up this album on reddit when I got my gold copy the other day: http://imgur.com/a/weiMD

Now you're making me wonder how far I can get by just sounding official ;)

Also, I agree. It seems like the band's realizing they can get more royalties by doing their own reissues and is trash-talking the MOV-releases, so fans will buy theirs instead.

exactly. Its not like people weren't begging for this for years. Every response was "soon" or "someday" and now theyre just pissed because someone else got to it first. Evrything you need to know is in the second part of that tweet: "...and we will get the money"

Agreed, but also be careful who you're pointing fingers at as there may have been very complicated behind the scenes rights issues and even personal disputes that may have prevented the release up until now. It could also be that they didn't care. We just don't know.

Pictures you say? I put up this album on reddit when I got my gold copy the other day: http://imgur.com/a/weiMD

Now you're making me wonder how far I can get by just sounding official ;)

Also, I agree. It seems like the band's realizing they can get more royalties by doing their own reissues and is trash-talking the MOV-releases, so fans will buy theirs instead.

Little do they know, the fans will buy them all!

I'm sure it's not just the money though, it's also about controlling your created product and making sure the fans get a good product and not something that cheap. It's a brand issue as well as a trust issue. When I see someone selling counterfeit LPs it immediately makes me wonder about everything they are selling. And while it may not be the bands fault that a bootleg pressing was realized, people can direct their ire in strange places sometimes.

Little do they know, the fans will buy them all!

I'm sure it's not just the money though, it's also about controlling your created product and making sure the fans get a good product and not something that cheap. It's a brand issue as well as a trust issue. When I see someone selling counterfeit LPs it immediately makes me wonder about everything they are selling. And while it may not be the bands fault that a bootleg pressing was realized, people can direct their ire in strange places sometimes.

Very true. I can respect them for wanting to defend an album that probably means a lot to them, but the band (Cedric in particular) has handled the entire thing very poorly.

On a related note, it seems that MOV issued a statement on Twitter a while ago: https://twitter.com/MusicOnVinyl/status/467607630262050816

Man, I'm glad I don't follow Cedric on Twitter, he seems annoying as fuck.

Preach.

I'm sure it's not just the money though, it's also about controlling your created product and making sure the fans get a good product and not something that cheap.

I get where you're coming from.  And while I haven't owned an OG press of this, everything I'm reading would imply that this repress is of equal or better quality, and that it sounds a lot better.  I don't expect everyone under the sun - especially Cedric - to acknowledge that MOV churns out quality product... but to piss on a label's reputation because you're salty you've missed out on the sales seems pretty lame to me.  The worst part is that a huge portion of the fanbase will undoubtedly take his word that this MOV repress is a cheap knock-off, and they'll likely wait for the band's repress.  (Which may or may not happen at this point.  Who knows?)

Got my silver and it is more or less everything I had hoped for in terms of sound quality and packaging. Hard to believe I paid the same amount of money on this as I did on the MOV Devil and God repress, considering how much better this is put together. Unfortunately it had two pretty big seems splits in the top, but that's another thing altogether.