Getting tired of a certain genre?

I've kind of burnt myself out on sunny indie rock / pop. and it's only because my phone cable is fucked, so i can't connect it to my computer to switch up what music is on there. so for a couple months now, it's just been a varied combo of best coast, surfer blood, real estate, wavves, oberhofer, wild nothing.. i'm sure you can see where i'm going with this.

i also found myself stuck on shuffle for a while. so i was sure to listen to a ton of albums back to back to back. lots of stuff i haven't given time to in a while either. it was a much needed change of pace.

unless what i'm about to recommend is already a thread, i feel like this is an opportunity to turn this into "name a genre you are unfamiliar with/want to know better, get artist recommendations in return"

for example, i'm really getting into post-rock but i don't want to keep getting GY!BE and EITS suggested for me. any recommendations?

Some days I'll look through my ipod and see an album/band and get legitimately excited to listen to them. Other days I'll look through and not feel "inspired" to listen to anything. It's weird. I don't listen to enough new music, and I want to start diversifying what I listen to. Too much of it fits into the emo/indie/hardcore scene.

I listen to a wide range of genres, but I play in a doom metal band. As such, I get to see endless doom bands when we play gigs, and I am getting bored of a lot of it. IMO it's much easier to get bored of any kind of extreme music - it's like you get ear fatigue from it. That said, I still love doom/sludge/drone/whatever - but I have no idea how people can only listen to that kind of music.

I listen to a wide range of genres, but I play in a doom metal band. As such, I get to see endless doom bands when we play gigs, and I am getting bored of a lot of it. IMO it's much easier to get bored of any kind of extreme music - it's like you get ear fatigue from it. That said, I still love doom/sludge/drone/whatever - but I have no idea how people can only listen to that kind of music.

I think that's the appeal of festivals for most people. They get a bunch different sounds from one cool event or something

Shelbs nailed it. With all due respect, you've gotta' broaden those horizons. What are some of your favorite genres that you're burnt out on?

uh, where did the OP say that they only listen to one genre, or doesnt listen to multiple genres, or doesnt already have a 'broadened horizon'?  ive listened to music of quiet a few genres and some of them are just boring now.  me getting tired with a style or genre of music has nothing to do with how many other styles of music I listen too.  

I'm with most of you I just listen to a different genre when this happens. Or I just change up artist that I listen to. Most of what I like is rock or some sort, but I listen to pop, country or electronic when I want a change. Or sometimes I go way out and listen to some rap or free mixtapes. I try to diversify my music tastes when I can.

My radio doesn't work in my car so I listen to a lot of CDs but I don't really get to hear new music unless it search it out.

uh, where did the OP say that they only listen to one genre, or doesnt listen to multiple genres, or doesnt already have a 'broadened horizon'? ive listened to music of quiet a few genres and some of them are just boring now. me getting tired with a style or genre of music has nothing to do with how many other styles of music I listen too.

I don't think anyone implied that the OP is listening to just one genre. No idea where you got that from. Shelbs didn't suggest that, nor did I.

Even if you have a nice range of genres you enjoy, your horizons can always be broadened. That's something that's always in the back of my head; I get too wrapped up in new releases and following upcoming albums, that I suspect I'm neglecting a whole bevy of new sounds. I'm 100% positive that there are bands, albums, and genres out there that I'd absolutely love... but am currently oblivious to. There's just so much of it out there.

I will agree that I occasionally go through (very brief) phases where I favor or dislike certain genres or sounds, like you said. I'll go a week or at least a few days where I only want to hear artists with vocals, or vice versa. Or I'll be in the mood for something chill and minimal, vs. raw or upbeat. But again, going back to my initial post, it's that expanded variety of music that allows me to avoid getting burnt out on music as a while. And yet I often feel like I've only scraped the tip of the iceberg.

Dance Music/ 80s pop revival (especially with breathy girl vocals) has gotten stale recently. That's been the trend for a while now, with (seemingly) very few guitar albums being released. As a result I've recently dug into a lot of 90s underground stuff I either overlooked or was only vaguely familar with

I of course try to listen to as many various genres as I can encounter, but from 2008-2011 folk was my go-to, most often listened to genre. I've noticed in the past few years I've been less inclined to find new folk artists though (although my interest in my all-time favorites hasn't diminished.) I think, at least in my opinion, no artists in the genre I've encountered in recent years have struck me as unique or extremely interesting. Also though I must consider the fact that growing up I always prioritized lyricism over composition and instrumental integrity. This has been changing since 2010 whenever my interest in various forms of shoegaze and atmospheric metal began increasing.. two genres which obviously let emphasis fall away from the lyrics, instead using the voice as another instrumental component, if at all. In the past couple years I think garage rock revivalism has been my go-to genre on the iPod. I'm attracted to its carefree, sunny slack. Whenever it starts to taste stale to my ears I usually mix it up with some contrastingly dark-synth drenched or aggressively marching post-punk revivalism. Often Copenhagen stuff.

I think the key is to have varying genres to swim around from shore to shore in.