MAN ADVICE v2.0

More or less this (although I don't think the R word belongs in the discussion at any level).

You are absolutely right. I apologize for using it. It's just my feeling that more and more people seem to be distracted by those few who interpret feminism as the 'war of the sexes' and I felt like harshly articulating how negatively my stance is regarding that topic.

Although the discussion was heating up a bit, I got the feeling we all genuinely agree on feminism (= equalism) being necessary. Which is great.

or...

Those literally mean the same thing. Feminism = equality of the sexes. Get off the idea that Feminism = women vs men. Just because it's got "fem" in it doesn't mean its excluding everyone who isn't a woman. You don't see women flipping out about he fact that the human race is called MAN kind. Good lord.

Also, when it comes to the term "female," it all comes down to the way the word has morphed over the years. Similarly to the word "bitch." If you want to use the dictionary, fine. Bitch = a female dog. But as time went on, it turned into meaning a. A weak individual (usually a guy) and b. A mean/rude woman.  Funny how that works, right?  Well, "female" has taken on a similar evolution. It all comes down to the fact that the connotation used and the context surrounding the use of the word has turned negative. "Females be tripping" or "Females are always trying to bring their men down" or "I'm gonna try to talk to some females tonight."

It strips women of their identity and mashes them all together as this species that's meant to be conquered, and that's not cool.  Sure, if you said "Thyroid disease occurs in 40% of females," then obviously that's different because it is being used to state facts of the characteristics of the female sex.

I know this can't possibly be this hard for some of you to understand. It shouldn't require all of this explanation. If a woman says they don't like being called that, then don't call them that. Just as if your name was Robert and you didn't like being called Bobby. We all deserve the acknowledgement and the respect to be called what we'd like to be called.

The analogous example would not be someone saying that they don't like being called Bobby, but someone deciding that Bobby is an offensive nickname and everyone should go by Robert

I love that THAT is the only thing you took from this. Absolutely incredible use of zeroing in on the smallest point I was trying to make while completely ignoring the rest.

OR you could just accept that fact that people find it offensive and stop using the term?

I love that THAT is the only thing you took from this. Absolutely incredible use of zeroing in on the smallest point I was trying to make while completely ignoring the rest.

OR you could just accept that fact that people find it offensive and stop using the term?

I'm at work and on my phone. This thread has become a clusterfuck and I don't need to respond to everything said. Maybe later.

Nor does anyone has a right to never be offended. People can get mad about whatever they want.

Debating a word in the abstract is silly, when the offensiveness, or lack thereof, is about is about usage in context. My opinion.

One thing I did learn today is that etymologically the word female is not related to the word male. Not really germane to the discussion here but I thought it was interesting!

feminist

[fem-uh-nist]

adjective, Sometimes, feministic

advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men.

^Yeah I don't really understand how the above can be considered a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with striving for equality.

Some people need educating though

It's no use. They glaze right over any valid point made and just keep attempting to justify why they aren't ignorant.

You don't see women flipping out about he fact that the human race is called MAN kind. Good lord.

I don't know how it is in America, but in Germany we have such people. Not just women, also men who want to change the German language as it's said to be discriminating. There's definitely more important things that need to be changed to finally reach equality between women and men. That being said I don't like the term feminist. I support the idea behind it, but some activists totally spoiled it for me.