Jason Tate: "Yes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad."

I completely disagree with the CD analogy/prediction.

CDs were completely mass produced.  Most of these overpriced albums are not getting the same numbers made.  Just like the dollar bin LPs that are in used record shops, CDs are comparable.  I can get all kinds of lps right now for 1 or 2 bucks just like your cheap cds.

For example, take a 90s Pearl Jam album such as their debut...SRC could print and sell 5k of them at $35.99 a piece.  10 years from now you will probably still have to pay around that to get a copy of the lp. Even if vinyl goes out of style, you probably aren't going to get one for 1 dollar or whatever you are paying for CDs, because there are probably 5 million CD copies of that Pearl Jam album out there.  Now, that expensive SRC Pearl Jam lp may be had later for a bit of a discount - in 5-10 years when vinyl isn't so hip, maybe you'll score a copy for $15.  But I just don't see the value dropping because of teh lack of true mass production.

(Also, a CD is essentially a digital copy of the album, which no one might even be able to play in their car 10 years from now.  There will always be a niche group of people out there wanting this format in unique pressings for their collections.)

Now, I do agree that these prices are inflated. The diffference is that when you bought that indie rock band lp in 1997 for $7, it went up in value over the years and with the "vinyl craze" and now you can sell it for $70.  But these $30 lps that are being over pressed are probably not going to gain that kind of exponential increase.  Some might go up in value a bit, but many wont....but they sure won't be in a dollar bin (well, a most of them wont)

Sometimes I feel like I am living in a different world than most of the people on VC. I rarely ever spend over 20 bucks on a record, and the rare occasions that I do it is typically an import.

It's so weird that $20-$30 records is the norm for you guys.

^ Smartest post in this thread.

I have also been scoring big lately on cheap CDs.

And I will continue to until 10 years from now when cdcollective starts up and people start buying them again for nostalgia.

And I will continue to until 10 years from now when cdcollective starts up and people start buying them again for nostalgia.

and then prices will rise on CDs again since the demand has gone up and someone will start a thread bitching about it. "Back in my day..." People need to accept change. Its just a fact of life. Get over it and move on. Its not the '90's anymore guys. You were into a hobby first when shit was cheap. SUPERCOOLSTOREEZ. $20-$30 IS the literal norm now. Normal does not have to mean it is acceptable, nothing about that word implies that it is acceptable, but it has become normal for people to charge a shit ton of money for a record. Normal means a standard, something to be expected. As much as it blows, vinyl is normally fucking expensive. The labels that put out the /100 runs of bands no one has heard of for $10 each is now the exception to said standard. Just like it is normal that gas is now 4x the price it was in the '90's, you know that time everyone keeps talking about when records were like a billionth of the price they are now. 

Shit will die out and these mass produced items will be cheap(er) than they are now. Look at the countless Shania Twain and Jewel CDs in the bargain bin next time you're at the record store. Those were almost $20 new at some point.

are you buying the underground stuff from bands that don't have a big fan base or buying used? If either I can totally see that. I still try to keep my purchases under $15 for records, but that doesn't always happen. Patience is my key to succeeding in this as a hobby anymore. I don't have the money to spend on countless POs and garbage soundtracks that come out at really inflated prices. If something sells out, oh well. I'm much more willing to hunt for the stuff I want at cheaper prices. The hunt is what got me into this hobby in the first place, and its proven to keep it affordable for me as well.

There is an absolute false market for vinyl at the moment. People are buying multiple copies as a collectible as opposed to one copy to listen to. At some point this either becomes a mainstream hobby or it dies again. Right now it's tilting into the mainstream as I watch Dads pull credit cards to buy their 13 year old $150 worth of reissues. Trust me, 99% of the kids I was with in the 80s blowing my allowance with on 45s no longer have a single record and the same will be true when Hot Topic and other mass retailers cease seeing a huge profit like every other trend. 

I never made an analogy - I stated a consumer fact from the perspective of a music fan: If you consume music in mass like most of us do then you need to find the balance between your hobby/habit and your economic responsibilities. $1 used cds today are what a $2 copy of Spiderland was when I bought it in 1997 - THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GET AWESOME MUSIC. Am I pulling out those $1 cds with any nostalgia attached to them? No. But I'm also watching my saving account grow and holding 15 pieces of new music in my hands instead of one jacked up reissue that will inevitably be cheaper in a few years. None of these bands are The Misfits and even with them I got most of my shit cheap way back and their recent reissues will eventually make their way to the same fate. 

Be smart folks. Most of this stuff is meaningless no matter how much we want to attach that kiss with the girl that got away with some crappy Jimmy Eat World song as we dump another $100 on a reissue of a record you already have. 

There is an absolute false market for vinyl at the moment. People are buying multiple copies as a collectible as opposed to one copy to listen to. At some point this either becomes a mainstream hobby or it dies again. Right now it's tilting into the mainstream as I watch Dads pull credit cards to buy their 13 year old $150 worth of reissues. Trust me, 99% of the kids I was with in the 80s blowing my allowance with on 45s no longer have a single record and the same will be true when Hot Topic and other mass retailers cease seeing a huge profit like every other trend. 

I never made an analogy - I stated a consumer fact from the perspective of a music fan: If you consume music in mass like most of us do then you need to find the balance between your hobby/habit and your economic responsibilities. $1 used cds today are what a $2 copy of Spiderland was when I bought it in 1997 - THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GET AWESOME MUSIC. Am I pulling out those $1 cds with any nostalgia attached to them? No. But I'm also watching my saving account grow and holding 15 pieces of new music in my hands instead of one jacked up reissue that will inevitably be cheaper in a few years. None of these bands are The Misfits and even with them I got most of my shit cheap way back and their recent reissues will eventually make their way to the same fate. 

Be smart folks. Most of this stuff is meaningless no matter how much we want to attach that kiss with the girl that got away with some crappy Jimmy Eat World song as we dump another $100 on a reissue of a record you already have. 

I think I agree with you in spirit, just being a little pedantic...

The false scarcity that is being created with these lps is much like the Beanie Baby craze, and we saw how that ended...my point is that I agree that these prices are inflated, I don't see the bubble bursting as hard as it did with Bbabies, nor do I see these records really ending up being $1 or $2 for the simple fact that we are talking about distribution in the low thousands, as opposed to the tens or hundreds of thousands or millions.

It will be interesting to see how hard the bubble pops and when.  

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3702871&page=2

damn the AP people are talking about VC people just as the VC people are talking about AP people

Your fascination/obsession with a website that you have been banned from more than a couple of times borders on unstable behavior.