Jason Tate: "Yes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad."

Jason Tate has turned more people on to good music  shitty pop-punk than anyone who has written in this thread. He doesn't seem to "get" why vinyl should or shouldn't be expensive but that doesn't make him some sort of monster. His heart is in the right place.....his head? Not always. But I think he's done more good than not. 

I'm just kidding; I have no idea who this asshole is.

My opinion of Jason Tate is that he is the equivalent of a bought politician. He doesn't always know what or why he's saying something, just that people want him to say it and that they give him things (free music and privileged information mostly) for saying it. To the bands AP.net covers, he comes off as an "I got your back" buddy. They like that, and I don't blame him for it... after all, its a tried and true business model.

The problem I have with him, as I also have with many bought-politicians, is that I never can tell if he truly believes what he is saying or not. And that annoys me to no end. 

My opinion of Jason Tate is that he is the equivalent of a bought politician. He doesn't always know what or why he's saying something, just that people want him to say it and that they give him things (free music and privileged information mostly) for saying it. To the bands AP.net covers, he comes off as an "I got your back" buddy. They like that, and I don't blame him for it... after all, its a tried and true business model.

The problem I have with him, as I also have with many bought-politicians, is that I never can tell if he truly believes what he is saying or not. And that annoys me to no end. 

And then he acts like a child when he stops getting stuff from them.

See: the bitch fit he threw when Brand New stopped giving him info and updates back around TDAG

Jason Tate has turned more people on to good music than anyone who has written in this thread. He doesn't seem to "get" why vinyl should or shouldn't be expensive but that doesn't make him some sort of monster. His heart is in the right place.....his head? Not always. But I think he's done more good than not. 

thanks for your input

this isn't true. 

And then he acts like a child when he stops getting stuff from them.

See: the bitch fit he threw when Brand New stopped giving him info and updates back around TDAG

he defends that band a lot more than the majority of people do on the site.

absolute punk corrupts absolutely

I don't usually agree with a lot of stuff he post's on absolutepunk however this I do. Especially with the amount of bands that seem to break up because they can't make a living from playing music.

I'm happy to pay extra and support the bands.

happy to pay extra and support the bands?

hot topic is charging 20.50 for baysides walking wounded which used to be 13.99 or however much, where it is 13.98 on the victory store.  hell for 19.98 on victory you can get a bundle with the walking wounded and a tank-top.

i don't think any of this extra money is going into the hands of the bands.

happy to pay extra and support the bands?

hot topic is charging 20.50 for baysides walking wounded which used to be 13.99 or however much, where it is 13.98 on the victory store. hell for 19.98 on victory you can get a bundle with the walking wounded and a tank-top.

i don't think any of this extra money is going into the hands of the bands.

Surely even if they do bump the price up they have sold another 1000 records which a band wouldn't of sold. Hot topic appeals to kids who wouldn't necessary go hunting in their local record shop/online.

Hot topic wouldn't sell records if there was a very small profit/risk of losing money. The fact they do is getting more people into records and physical formats which is surely a good thing for all bands?

As true as that is. As a band if hot topic decide to pick up 2000 of my records to sell I'm going to be pretty happy.

As a distributor, yeah sure.  But the fact that they mark up the prices as much as they do isn't fair to the fans.  The band is getting the same paycheck no matter what price hot topic decides to sell it as.