Carousel Project- Kozelek, Molina, and Volcano Choir one offs-

I picked up the Kozelek bundle with the "carousel colored" vinyl music. I'm sure no one is more surprised than the creators that there hasn't been more of a clamor and desire for these pressings. Definitely the easiest Kozelek record to pick up, probably in history. And they've been relatively easy lately.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll admit, I'm regretting backing this, definitely don't think I'll see the Volcano Choir record...

That said, I just searched "Volcano Choir Carousel" yesterday because I was thinking about it, and this came up on the google results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TlgyY476fGGgV8Rs-tV1zDdjYBccRn9daKtA34ZgpEc/edit#gid=0

This one was a flexible funding so they got what was raised, which is why I contributed to begin with since I wanted the Molina stuff, it was listed as being exclusive to this campaign, and I figured at least they would raise enough to be able to press the records. With as little as was claimed, and the conspicuous lack of communication since it ended, I don't think enough was raised. Indiegogo is currently investigating but they will not issue refunds even if they find the campaign in violation of intent.

Hey Everyone,

We want to thank you again for supporting our Carousel Project.  We apologize for the length of time it took for us to get out this update and appreciate your patience.  We are currently working to complete all of the pieces for the project and will be sending a complete update in a few weeks letting everybody know exactly when you can expect product from us.  

Thank you again and we will be in touch soon.

Please feel free to contact us via email with any questions....

Best,

Shorebird

guess this still is coming  :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the plot thickens..

Hey Everyone,

We want to thank you again for supporting our Carousel Project.  We apologize for the delays that are surrounding this project.  We have had multiple issues with delays and back end problems and this has prevented us from giving an accurate update on the campaign.  As we can all see, the indiegogo campaign did not come close to meeting expectations, and with the nature of the campaign being a fundraiser, we have to make changes to the project in order to make it a reality.  We are in the process of finalizing our alternative plans with the people and artists that are involved - there will be some changes to the line up, some artists will stay and some will not be involved.  This process, unfortunately for us all, is taking much longer than we had hoped for.  In about two weeks (on or before 12/1) we will be able to announce the final date of the project and what the end result will be as far artists, packaging, etc.  At that time we will give everybody who has contributed via indiegogo the option to either stay on for the final package (which will include special additional perks for the indiegogo backers) or to receive a full refund. 

This project is a labor of love and we appreciate your support and ask that you please get in touch either way once we make the announcement and let us know where you stand.  If you have any questions that I can answer now for you, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] and I will get back to you within 24 hours of receiving your email.

Again, we apologize for delay in updating you - it has been a long process in getting the details worked out for the alternative plan.

Best,

Shorebird

At least it's something, and I'm happy to hear that they're going to offer refunds for altered promises. Either that or they're really working hard to fool us. I doubt that's the case, though. I can understand that some things would have to change with them raising as little money as they did. I don't even think they made enough to press the records let alone fund the renovation. Part of the risk with crowdfunding I guess.

I requested a refund from that dude about 6 weeks ago, which he said he would be happy to do. I have yet to see a refund. He assured me many times it had been done by paypal, it never was. And he also promised a refund by mail 3 times, even going so far as giving me a fake tracking number once, and no refund that way either. This weekend I finally had enough and posted his email on the indiegogo comment page, the magnolia elec comp message board, and the shorebird facebook page since no one seemed to have any luck getting a reply from anyone. I also tweeted at a few people tangentially involved in the campaign. I got an immediate whiny email from the dude saying he didn't understand why I was doing this (because I put $110 into this, was not able to get any straight answers and was promised a refund and lied to multiple times). He complained that he was just on the verge of providing an update but his hands have been tied and now I am creating a situation for him. So that is why an update was finally sent out today. But this dude is not to be trusted. Note that the shorebird facebook and twitter pages have not been updated in months, until today they had not posted any feasible way of contacting anyone, and he has not been able to refund me, just one person. How the fuck are the gonna refund a bunch of folks? 

Here's my thought. Follow through with the pressings, ship out to early supporters, and put the rest up for sale on reputable distros. I can't speak for the other bands, but if the recent sales of Kozelek records are any indication, they will sell every last copy in about one day. 

I would think that should be the case, but I was surprised that, for as long as this project was being funded, not many records were sold at all. Maybe it was the premium pricing or the extras that no one wanted, or maybe most all Kozelek fans are rabidly anti-carousels. I feel like the project got pretty good visibility in the SKM/RHP/Kozelek circles and yet less than 150 records were ordered.

Totally forgot about this until I got that email posted above.

I think their goals were pretty ridiculous especially how many of each record they expected to sell at those prices but this thing was horribly marketed. Did any of the bands hype this thing at all? I think this is the only place I heard about it.

100%. I never saw anything posted via the Kozelek or Molina avenues.

Guess I'm not getting the Kozelek vinly or a refund.