OUT NOW: Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 Repress

"But it's $40 and it supports the band. I'd spend $80 on an [obscure object somehow related to Claudio]." – Yeah, that's cool, but what happens when every band adopts that mentality? When every band realizes that they have a loyal fanbase who wants a specific album, and are willing to pay double or triple the average cost if it's through a platform where the band sees the majority of the sale?

Deja Entendu will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. It could be 100$ and they would still sell out. 

But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.But. But.

Butts.

You know what really Grinds My Gears about this release?? Oh you don't care? Well listen up anyway:

They are giving out a 7 track cassette to the Plat VIPs. They'll prolly sell it too.

My point? Why not make a bonus 7", 10", or LP with at least some of those demos on it?

maxresdefault.jpg

Agreed!

Why not make a bonus 7", 10", or LP with at least some of those demos on it?

because of higher production costs for vinyl. perhaps they'll sign some of those tapes to even increase the profit margin once more by selling a tape for $20. it's c&c. they can do this, because people will buy this anyway.

because of higher production costs for vinyl. perhaps they'll sign some of those tapes to even increase the profit margin once more by selling a tape for $20. it's c&c. they can do this, because people will buy this anyway.

They probably will, but I vote closer to $10 for it (what's a tape cost...50 cents to make?).

Sidebar: wonder if Mic Todd gets any rights to some of this money they are going to make on the repress?

They probably will, but I vote closer to $10 for it (what's a tape cost...50 cents to make?).

Sidebar: wonder if Mic Todd gets any rights to some of this money they are going to make on the repress?

I was just referring to an earlier post that said C&C sell signed stuff for ridiculous prices. This is really strange as most artists sign their stuff for free.

I was just referring to an earlier post that said C&C sell signed stuff for ridiculous prices. This is really strange as most artists sign their stuff for free.

I don't recall this on the last tour. Copies of ascension and Descension signed were max 25. I don't think they were different signed or unsigned. I have seen them put up things on eBay and emphasize the signed aspect.

He should, the music is credited to "Coheed and Cambria" which he was a part of at the time.

Completely agree 100% all the way.

Oh gotcha, you were exaggerating, i sometimes miss sarcasm/ exaggeration on the internets.  It's true that they do sell signed stuff, but it's not really more expensive than the unsigned stuff. For instance at NYCC I bought the PFI "Half Measures" unsigned and waited to have it signed ($15). At Uproar last summer I could have bought the black variant signed for $15. Same with Afterman records and all that jazz. The question is: "Is $15 too much for a 10", likewise is $20 too much for a nine track LP?"

The band was NOT selling signed stuff for ridiculous prices on their last tour. If I recall correctly, copies of Ascension and Descension for $20 each when I saw them last. Picked up those two (which were both signed by the band) and also a signed copy of the PFE 10" for $15. I could be wrong, but all records were signed no matter what.

Now, the jacket conditions of the two LPs left a lot to be desired. They were both beat to hell as were all others. The merch guy was manhandling them like crazy. Not to mention that surel when the band was signing all copies they got tossed around back and forth.

Columbia Records, itself a subsidiary of Sony Music, is responsible for the release and not the band. I imagine they are the ones setting the price. When SSTB was pressed, it was less than $20 (except the tour version which I think was exactly $20). That repress was headed by Equal Vision while this one is not. I'm not sure if there are any sort of costs associated with this release that I'm not seeing. So when we talk about acquiescing to the price we are not saying to Coheed, "Yes, we will pay whatever you want", we are saying it to the record label. 

Columbia Records, itself a subsidiary of Sony Music, is responsible for the release and not the band. I imagine they are the ones setting the price. When SSTB was pressed, it was less than $20 (except the tour version which I think was exactly $20). That repress was headed by Equal Vision while this one is not. I'm not sure if there are any sort of costs associated with this release that I'm not seeing. So when we talk about acquiescing to the price we are not saying to Coheed, "Yes, we will pay whatever you want", we are saying it to the record label. 

While this makes perfect sense, Claudio literally said in an interview with Billboard that he repressed the album because he wanted a copy and fans had been asking for it blah blah blah...so I don't know what to think regarding the rights to the music. Obviously Sony would have the rights unless they were sold back to the band (which is a great investment for them to make).

Link: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6221762/coheed-and-cambria-announces-in-keeping-secrets-of-silent-earth-3-reissue

Edited by FowtyDollaz

While this makes perfect sense, Claudio literally said in an interview with Billboard that he repressed the album because he wanted a copy and fans had been asking for it blah blah blah...so I don't know what to think regarding the rights to the music. Obviously Sony would have the rights unless they were sold back to the band (which is a great investment for them to make).

Link: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6221762/coheed-and-cambria-announces-in-keeping-secrets-of-silent-earth-3-reissue

I'm sure Claudio meant that he instigated rather than that he did it personally though. 

I broke down and just bought some extras on grey...flip, flip, flipadelphia. Not even ashamed about it.

Thanks. Y'know, I figured...it's been two days and it still isn't sold out. I might as well grab some extras at this point.

Heck, if after this sells out someone on the boards is like "Hey man, I regret not picking up a copy of IKSSE:3, I know you have extras." and Ithey're someone I interact with regularly on here, I'll sell them one for $50 to just cover my shipping expenses.

I'm not a monster. Oh, wait, no. I mean:

DZ6QRr6.gif