Ordered a copy of deja on ebay...

Well that's your opinion and of course you're entitled to it, but truthfully after fees lost through ebay and paypal and shipping costs, not to mention the fact I haven't even said how much I paid for this in the first place, I can assuredly say 40% off of what I paid is entirely fair based on current pricing on ebay and where the market is headed. It's no longer at the peak we were seeing months ago, prices are going down, and a copy that looks like this won't be fetching even $200+ anymore.

But again as I also said if the seller doesn't agree with that I'm more than willing to just send it back for a full refund, but we also know you're not the seller and most likely would never be in this situation considering we all know never to ship a record in a fucking bubble envelope, but a 10-15% refund would be ridiculous and there's no way you'd request that if you were in my position

But you don't pay fees, he does

A 10-15% refund is nothing really. If I bought a record I had been wanting for a LONG time for $20 bucks, because it was finally available again as a repress, and it showed up on my doorstep all bent up like that, I would absolutely want more than $3 back for it or I would want a full refund to try to buy elsewhere.

Yes it's obviously about the music but record collecting is also about the holding the physical copy of the music in your hands, and that is more than just the piece of wax you are holding. If every time you pulled out your long coveted record to give it a spin, you had to see the damaged packaging it came in, you would constantly be reminded of your disappointment in how it originally arrived to you.

A 10-15% refund is nothing really. If I bought a record I had been wanting for a LONG time for $20 bucks, because it was finally available again as a repress, and it showed up on my doorstep all bent up like that, I would absolutely want more than $3 back for it or I would want a full refund to try to buy elsewhere.

Yes it's obviously about the music but record collecting is also about the holding the physical copy of the music in your hands, and that is more than just the piece of wax you are holding. If every time you pulled out your long coveted record to give it a spin, you had to see the damaged packaging it came in, you would constantly be reminded of your disappointment in how it originally arrived to you.

Yes exactly!

So wouldn't he just be out more money?

You don't necessarily have to return it as damaged. I'm sure there is a way you can return it where he gets refunded on the fees, which are probably what, $30-$40?

Yes that's my point, it's more advantageous for them to just give me a partial refund at this point because if they refund my full purchase amount they will still be out those final value fees from ebay, thus double dipping their loss and giving me the edge to just say they should send a partial refund.

The final values fees are already owed by the seller to ebay, they are as soon as the auction is over (even if no one pays) In order for the seller to get their final value fees back from ebay I would have to agree to cancel the transaction after the refund has been sent. But that is entirely up to me the buyer. I don't have to accept the request to cancel the transaction, so I will not be if they choose the full refund route. 

My coworker bought a record for over $1,000 and it arrived slightly warped and he got a full refund. I thought that was a bit much but he said if he paid that much then it better arrived perfect. However OP has a pretty bent up cover. I would be pretty mad about that mainly because it could have been prevented with better packing from the seller

Twice I've received things in a bubble mailer. One was the RSD liars so there is nothing but a plastic cover and the vinyl. I was terrified to open both of them but somehow they arrived safe

My coworker bought a record for over $1,000 and it arrived slightly warped and he got a full refund. I thought that was a bit much but he said if he paid that much then it better arrived perfect. However OP has a pretty bent up cover. I would be pretty mad about that mainly because it could have been prevented with better packing from the seller

Twice I've received things in a bubble mailer. One was the RSD liars so there is nothing but a plastic cover and the vinyl. I was terrified to open both of them but somehow they arrived safe

Happy to hear you've had better luck than myself. When I ordered the Of Monsters and Men RSD from Iceland this year, they shipped it out in a thin cardboard 7" mailer, probably the thickness of 2 pieces of construction paper glued together. By some miracle that arrived in perfect condition

Yes that's my point, it's more advantageous for them to just give me a partial refund at this point because if they refund my full purchase amount they will still be out those final value fees from ebay, thus double dipping their loss and giving me the edge to just say they should send a partial refund.

The final values fees are already owed by the seller to ebay, they are as soon as the auction is over (even if no one pays) In order for the seller to get their final value fees back from ebay I would have to agree to cancel the transaction after the refund has been sent. But that is entirely up to me the buyer. I don't have to accept the request to cancel the transaction, so I will not be if they choose the full refund route. 

But they can just resell it and get same money back. Some crazy tumblr fan will buy it no matter how it looks for lots of money.

So you're holding him hostage?

The person screwed up. It sucks. But you should just send it back and get a refund. You're even that way outside of a bit of time and aggravation. Agree to cancel the transaction so the guy isn't out $30 for a mistake. Especially considering that if he were to sell it again, he'd probably be out $100+ because of the condition of the record.

So you're holding him hostage?

The person screwed up. It sucks. But you should just send it back and get a refund. You're even that way outside of a bit of time and aggravation. Agree to cancel the transaction so the guy isn't out $30 for a mistake. Especially considering that if he were to sell it again, he'd probably be out $100+ because of the condition of the record.

I'm not holding him hostage, I'm simply outlining to all of you the situation. It's great that you just said they'd be out $100+ because that's approximately the partial refund I'm seeking.

There are two things that can happen at this point. The seller refunds the partial amount I'm requesting and I still get a record that i've been seeking out for a long time and we both lick our wounds and call it a day. Option 2 is I send it back, get a full refund, seller may or may not get fv fees refunded and sells damaged record on ebay. They end up getting a % of what it originally sold for (maybe even less than I'm predicting, who knows) then they still have to pay another round of fv fees, buy packing material etc. And at the end of the day they will still be out the same amount of $ as they would have lost by avoiding all the hassle of sending it back for a full refund. If the seller has a shred of common sense they will go with partial refund, as the end result will be the same for them either way. IMO they deserve to take this loss just to learn the lesson and never let it happen again

I bought a Creation copy of MBV's "Loveless" and it came in a bubble mailer...entire album was scratched evenly on both sides...ugh

got my money back but talk about a letdown 

You made me check prices on Loveless on discogs. Is that red copy from 2003 really going for ~$130? Cuz...

I don't think Ebay will refund you without it being returned

I had a guy send a CD to me a few months ago that broke in half during shipping.  E-Bay refunded me and didnt require that I return the CD.  This was probably the case because the buyer was verbally abusive when I asked for him to fix the issue after it arrived to me broken.

A big story on the sticker incident but no photo of it? It's definitely worse than he's making out.

Edit. Ignore me, I'm an idiot.