What's your White Whale record?

Mine is Weakling's 'Dead As Dreams', just one pressing of 500 copies on maroon vinyl. It's up on discogs for insane prices and I've yet to see it up on auction. Still there is a chance on getting my hands on one of those someday.

The other one would be Bohren & der Club of Gore's 'Sunset Mission'. The only pressing on vinyl of this record had been canceled, so there a like 20 test presses floating around somewhere, if at all. Most likely never gonna even see a pic of one of 'em.

I might have to consider Tortoise's TNT 20th Anniversary reissue as one of mine since it is apparently quite hard to find a copy anywhere for a decent price which is frankly stupid as hell since it only is a couple years old. Some jackass has a sealed copy on Discogs right now but is asking $89.99 for it which is ridiculous.

If anyone happens to stumble across this in their local store or anywhere for a reasonable price, please let me know.

I might have to consider Tortoise's TNT 20th Anniversary reissue as one of mine since it is apparently quite hard to find a copy anywhere for a decent price which is frankly stupid as hell since it only is a couple years old. Some jackass has a sealed copy on Discogs right now but is asking $89.99 for it which is ridiculous.

If anyone happens to stumble across this in their local store or anywhere for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Is there a reason you'd want the 20th anniversary version over an original press? I have the repress and it's just the album in a gatefold jacket, black wax. Even before that repress I remember seeing OG's sell on here for $20-40.

Is there a reason you'd want the 20th anniversary version over an original press? I have the repress and it's just the album in a gatefold jacket, black wax. Even before that repress I remember seeing OG's sell on here for $20-40.

I already own the OP in NM/NM- condition and would like to have the repress as my "play copy" so I can frame the original for my room along with the original TNT tour poster I own. This is easily one of my all-time favorite albums and pretty much the reason I ever got into instrumental/post-rock to begin with which I why I'm attempting to do this.

Long shot but would you consider selling your repress? It's for a good cause  :D

Okay, it's not exactly a white whale, but I would love to find a reasonably priced copy of the first pressing of Com Truise - Galactic Melt. I already have (and love) my copy of the second pressing they did, with the black cover and the orange vinyl, but there's just something about that original pressing that's had me interested for a while now. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it for under $50 since right before it went OOP on the Ghostly Store.

Finally got one of mine - 

6RSglhn.jpg

XpVUEVk.jpg

- Pyramiddd - Medicine 7" - #'d/500

Starfucker was called Pyramiddd for a few months and put this 7" out on DDD Records. I have had the hardest time tracking it down (for a few years now), which is surprising because it's out of 500.

Anyways. I got it for less than $20 ppd from England. Super pumped.

dang, that is soooo fine. and now i want one too :P

• 1 month later...

I just scratched 2 off this week. I collect Balzac and they have some pretty rare stuff. They are a Japanese band and they often press records just to give away at their shows to fans at random. One was a release limited to only 17 copies that I scored in a Japanese auction.

Another was an LP limited to 30. I've been searching for it for years and today I thought of actually emailing the label to see if they had any left. I was in luck.

Lonesome Crowded West and the yellow pressing of Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos Slingshot to Heaven

Definitely echoing LCW. One of these days I'm going to probably end up blowing a paycheck on it (and with my luck a re-press will be announced right after lol).

I've had really good luck as of late crossing off some of my most sought after records. Lately, I'm really wanting a copy of both Dear and the Headlights records, but really not wanting to pay eBay prices for them (considering the same seller has a seemingly unlimited number of copies and just keeps listing them and people still bid absurd amounts on them).

I wouldn't consider LCW a white whale as it's actually pretty easy to find, if you're willing to drop the money for it.  However, I have an extra challenge.  I have half of the album, but it's the AB record and the CD sleeve.  Somewhere out there is its mismatched twin...

In the meantime, fully expecting a repress, so don't spend the money.

I wouldn't consider LCW a white whale as it's actually pretty easy to find, if you're willing to drop the money for it.  However, I have an extra challenge.  I have half of the album, but it's the AB record and the CD sleeve.  Somewhere out there is its mismatched twin...

In the meantime, fully expecting a repress, so don't spend the money.

Yeah, I agree about the definition. I don't have any more white whale records. However a three years ago I just missed a rare edition of a book I want. Only about 100 released, can't see one anywhere and I have contacted all the people who I know own a copy. Nobody is selling. I would pay twice maybe three times the amount the last one sold for.

That's a white whale for me.