*delete this thread!*

Maybe I'm misreading it, but it sounds like she never gave them anything and they plagiarized what she does.

Basically, they decided to do it themselves using the concept of words over a silhouette, which she also does.

I mean, I could draw a tree, but you can't be mad if they picked another drawing of a tree over mine...

unless the design is exact, I don't really see it as plagiarism. it's not like she owns the right of words over silhouettes.

I mean, I could draw a tree, but you can't be mad if they picked another drawing of a tree over mine...

unless the design is exact, I don't really see it as plagiarism. it's not like she owns the right of words over silhouettes.

I agree.

I searched "words on silhouette" and plenty of other images came up. She's not the first/only person to come up with this idea.

Now, did they look at her stuff and say, we can do that in house for free, and then did it, and then made shirts, and then made money selling those shirts...yep.

Is there anything she can do about it...nope.

I agree.

I searched "words on silhouette" and plenty of other images came up. She's not the first/only person to come up with this idea.

Now, did they look at her stuff and say, we can do that in house for free, and then did it, and then made shirts, and then made money selling those shirts...yep.

Is there anything she can do about it...nope.

I'm not saying she owns that general idea, hahaha.  Obviously not anything like that.  The only thing that makes this stand out as a little different to me, is that she was contacted by them to basically do this.  All she did was ask about the scope of the project to figure out an appropriate payment.  They pulled back, started to get vague, were basically looking for someone to just give them something for free, and instead just went ahead with the same sort of concept on their own.

I'm already assuming there's really nothing she can do, but I've heard of situations similar to this in where it turns into one of those vague grey area intellectual type things, and gets all sorts of confusing.

This sort of thing happens every day though, and for the most part, nothing can be done, it's just how the world works.  Seeing it happen to someone close to me just makes my blood boil.  Figured I'd just stir the pot on more reasons why people should be bummed by what this company does!

I've read about Starbucks & Urban Outfitters doing similar things.

Like I said, if she really wants to get a solid answer about it, opposed to just a few people on the internet that don't know intellectual property rights, call around and see if a law firm will do a consult with her.

She didn't even do any work for them, if I'm reading your posts correctly. They hit her up about doing something, she asked about the terms/scope of the project, they bailed and decided to do it in-house (or with someone else). There is nothing shady about this. Now had they asked her to create mockups or something, then bailed, then ended up producing something that looked very similar to her mockups for them, yeah, that is intellectual property theft. This is nothing.

what's wrong with TWLOHA? I thought they were non-prof for depression/suicide awareness/prevention. I've never heard anything negative about them.

I feel the same. Regardless of what some of the people who work there may do, it's a great cause to support.

It sucks they ripped off your friend though.

I feel the same. Regardless of what some of the people who work there may do, it's a great cause to support.

It sucks they ripped off your friend though.

You may have to read some of the articles that fella posted above...

Also, I think the general consensus is that his friend didn't actually get "ripped off"