Annoying remarks on Discogs/eBay

nico

It's true. I am a bit suspicious when a listing states that it "looks clean/great" but don't go into details.

I had a guy I was talking to who said "vg/vg Sleeve in great shape, some common wear, but nothing out of the ordinary. No skipping and no noise and no visible scratches on the LP."

I said, to him "if there are no skipping/noise and no visible scratches, wouldn't it be at least vg+? If it is, I'll buy it. No noise on playback?"

He then said he hadn't played it yet, then played it and said "no noise, slight warp, bu tit doesn't affect playback." moved it to "g" instead of vg for some reason and knocked a couple bucks off.

Needless to say, at the point I bought it. If it had no noise and a slight warp, getting it for half the usual price is pretty alright.

I'll be pretty upset if it isn't actually in the shape he said though.

i've had a couple purchases on discogs come worse than the rating. In both cases the sellers refunded my money, but i think they only did that so i wouldn't give them poor feedback. I will not buy from those sellers again though. 

discogs can really be hit and miss. But i'll still continue to use it.

I had a guy I was talking to who said "vg/vg Sleeve in great shape, some common wear, but nothing out of the ordinary. No skipping and no noise and no visible scratches on the LP."

I said, to him "if there are no skipping/noise and no visible scratches, wouldn't it be at least vg+? If it is, I'll buy it. No noise on playback?"

He then said he hadn't played it yet, then played it and said "no noise, slight warp, bu tit doesn't affect playback." moved it to "g" instead of vg for some reason and knocked a couple bucks off.

Needless to say, at the point I bought it. If it had no noise and a slight warp, getting it for half the usual price is pretty alright.

I'll be pretty upset if it isn't actually in the shape he said though.

Just going from my own personal experience, I didn't know what Goldmine's Standards were until seven, eight years ago. I didn't know how to grade a record and what criteria made a record VG or NM. I got into records in the late 90's and I wasn't selling anything, just buying. When I started trying to sell things, I had to go look at the criteria and determine what was what. It takes a lot of practice to accurately grade, especially just on sight alone. I'm OCD so I play-grade 98% of things I sell.

Just going from my own personal experience, I didn't know what Goldmine's Standards were until seven, eight years ago. I didn't know how to grade a record and what criteria made a record VG or NM. I got into records in the late 90's and I wasn't selling anything, just buying. When I started trying to sell things, I had to go look at the criteria and determine what was what. It takes a lot of practice to accurately grade, especially just on sight alone. I'm OCD so I play-grade 98% of things I sell.

Yeah, that's why I asked him if he had played it recently. He supposedly threw it on the table and said it sounded great, so I'm pretty stoked.

(it's an Elektra copy of Ride the Lightning that I snagged for under $17 if anyone was wondering. I was holding out because I see them locally for ~$20 from time to time, but this one got me.)

Ha, that's why I'm still holding out. But it's weird. Initially, they pressed more of it than Kill 'Em All and I found that in a shop here for $20 three years ago. Yet RTL still demands a bigger price.

Weird! I need to get a new cover for my Kill 'Em All, it has some damage to the front, but I picked up Kill 'Em All, ...And Justice For All, and Iron Maiden's Powerslave for $20 from some dude like a year and a half/2 years ago. Sweet deal. I know I've said that somewhere on these boards before, hopefully not repeating myself in here.

I usually only go to eBay for easily availble older records.

Discogs seems very heavily based in the US whilst ebay usually offers the same price but with free shipping to the UK.

Is this really true about Discogs? Almost everything I want from Discogs is from a European seller with outrageous US shipping.

How much does it actually cost to send a record from Europe to the US?

Germany has really competitive rates right now. Some sellers on Discogs offer a 4 euro shipping WORLDWIDE rate for one single 12".

The UK rates are kinda good but I think the £/$ conversion is really bad for you american guys.

Other western EU countries not so much. I know it's pretty expensive to ship from France, Spain and Italy by registered mail and even regular post.

Other eastern european (Slovenia, Czech Rep, Bulgaria...) countries have good rates.

Is this really true about Discogs? Almost everything I want from Discogs is from a European seller with outrageous US shipping.

Might be the type of music we like? My taste seems to be very American based, despite being in the UK, and on the rare occasion it's in Germany or similar the price of the record is a good $10 over the USA one.

I always check all discogs, ebay, here, amazon and just general merch stores to find the cheapest and I've only actually bought from discogs twice.

When it's a UK seller it's usually the most expensive on the page. :angry:

Postage from the UK is getting more and more expensive. I sell via ebay myself will only send via recorded/signed for to anywhere just to cover myself from problems down the line. Granted it costs more for postage, but given the draconian ebay/Paypal account freezing that happens as soon as anything goes wrong, it's worth doing.

Twice in the past buyers have complained about not getting what they ordered. Only when I show them a screen with a signature on it have they just gone quiet. That said, I still often manage to charge under for postage by pence, sometimes pounds.

How much does it actually cost to send a record from Europe to the US?

Depends how much it weighs:

Up to 250g: £4.75

Up to 500g: £7.45

Up to 750g: £10.15

All without tracking.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RM_International_Stamps_Franking_Wallchart_Mar2014b.pdf

My Ride the Lightning that I ordered on Discogs came today...

This is how it was described to me:

mvpzsm.png

When it came, cover was fine, better than I expected really, but the record itself was visibly scuffed and scratched, skipped on two tracks and had actual dirt on it. (and no warp that I noticed.) I'd rather have a slightly warped but still listenable record than one with skips and shit. I just assumed he didn't know how to grade a record due to the grade and description given. Fuck this guy. Don't buy from him as he obviously lies about the record he is selling.

When it came, cover was fine, better than I expected really, but the record itself was visibly scuffed and scratched, skipped on two tracks and had actual dirt on it. (and no warp that I noticed.) I'd rather have a slightly warped but still listenable record than one with skips and shit. I just assumed he didn't know how to grade a record due to the grade and description given. Fuck this guy. Don't buy from him as he obviously lies about the record he is selling.

If you can't trust someone named creamjuice, who can you trust??