The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

Finally watched this and thought it was awesome! Very very similar to EP IV but still awesome. And I liked Adam as Kylo Ren. He's a pretty good actor, well at least I liked him in Girls.

Anyway, quick question (and forgive my lack of knowledge for all things Star Wars) since when are storm troopers NOT clones. They were established to be clones in the prequels, so that led me then to believe they were also clones in EP IV-VI. Is that not the case? Did I miss something somewhere?

Finally watched this and thought it was awesome! Very very similar to EP IV but still awesome. And I liked Adam as Kylo Ren. He's a pretty good actor, well at least I liked him in Girls.

Anyway, quick question (and forgive my lack of knowledge for all things Star Wars) since when are storm troopers NOT clones. They were established to be clones in the prequels, so that led me then to believe they were also clones in EP IV-VI. Is that not the case? Did I miss something somewhere?

There were just a finite amount of clones, the "clone factories"/whatever you want to call them were destroyed and storm troopers were supplemented with other people, apparently stolen as babies.

There were just a finite amount of clones, the "clone factories"/whatever you want to call them were destroyed and storm troopers were supplemented with other people, apparently stolen as babies.

Oohhhhhh ok ok. Haven't seen all the movies in a long time so don't really remember the, being blown up and stuff. So in the original trilogy they were not clones? There was mention of bringing in clones if the troopers were not successful in bringing in BB 8 in this movie.

Wait, they released the originals on DVD/Bluray? I own the 2004 "special editions" boxset, and the last "new" release I've heard of was the 2011(?) "moar editz special edition" that was terrible. #hanshotfirst #hanshould'veshotfirstinTFA #hashtag

The blu-rays will be out sometime next year.

Oohhhhhh ok ok. Haven't seen all the movies in a long time so don't really remember the, being blown up and stuff. So in the original trilogy they were not clones? There was mention of bringing in clones if the troopers were not successful in bringing in BB 8 in this movie.

Not all of them, that's why Luke could pass for a trooper even though he was too short, but Leia could still make the "too short to be a storm trooper" joke

I feel more acceptance (reluctantly) of the theory that Kylo is actually working for good in some twisted way. His words and actions are very vague. He says "finish what you started" to vaders helmet, and everyones first thought is "of being evil!" But, it could also be of being "the one who will restore order and balance to the force". He asked Han if he would "help him" Han agreed he would do anything for his son. And, in order for Snoke to accept Kylo into his final steps of training he had to prove he was fully dark, what better way than killing your father....

There is more info like this out there im on mobile and dont want to type it out. But this is a cool ish theory, if they did it right.

I always interpreted it that Anakin did restore "balance" to the Force by becoming evil. I figured at that point in history the Force was overwhelmingly good, so it needed a good boost of evil to balance out.

I always interpreted it that Anakin did restore "balance" to the Force by becoming evil. I figured at that point in history the Force was overwhelmingly good, so it needed a good boost of evil to balance out.

It is actually a little different, I think. It is not about Light side v. Dark side when they say bring balance to the force. The force is the thing both sides use. Light side users are in harmony with the force, and use it by sensing it, feeling it, etc. The Dark side uses the force by abusing it, bending it to their will through sheer emotional force - and corrupting it. Bringing balance to the force would be letting it exist as it is meant to be, aka not being misused by the dark side.

It was never about numbers, like in ep 1-3 there were tons of jedi, but there are always only 2 Sith. The Sith are still stronger. They decimate the light side. Any members of the dark side throw the force out of balance.

Edit: you are sort of right though, we were led to believe that anakin (as vader) did restore balance. There is some mumbo jumbo somewhere saying something like "if you take down the master, the apprentice will fall, restoring balance". Anakin achieves this when he kills the emperor, and then dies as well. Thats how he restores balance.

But, this was at a time when lucas was trying to wrap the series up in a neat bow. Im guessing we will find out how snoke came to power and restored the dark side. Maybe (again, only if the theory is true) Kylo is out to right that wrong of the dark side reemerging, but for good this time.

Those who played the video game "Star Wars: Battlefront II", there was a mission were you had to go stop on uprising of clones on Kamino. Basically to some effect they realized that they were "clones" and didn't like being told what to do. After the mission it goes on to explain that the Empire still used cloning technology, and not using just Jango Fett, but a variety of other templates. Something like that...

And from my understanding, Disney only cancelled the post-ROTJ canon (so as to make this future trilogy), so I think that it's legit still.

Those who played the video game "Star Wars: Battlefront II", there was a mission were you had to go stop on uprising of clones on Kamino. Basically to some effect they realized that they were "clones" and didn't like being told what to do. After the mission it goes on to explain that the Empire still used cloning technology, and not using just Jango Fett, but a variety of other templates. Something like that...

And from my understanding, Disney only cancelled the post-ROTJ canon (so as to make this future trilogy), so I think that it's legit still.

I remember that mission so vividly wow. I'm sure they still used clones after Kamino was destroyed until they started going extinct so they relied on stealing babies and raising them to become soldiers for the empire. I was always under the impression before TFA that storm troopers were just volunteers from different planets that wanted to work for the empire.

Yes. Individual movies were released in 2006 as 2 DVD sets. A box set with all three was released in 2008. They were transfers from the laser disc release. So not the best quality, but not horrible IMO.

Here's the link to EP IV with the original, this should give you an idea of what to look for. They aren't cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-IV-Limited-Edition/dp/B000FQJAIW

My local library has those DVDs so I considered myself lucky to get my hands on the originals but when I saw them, I ultimately went with the reworked versions. The quality wasn't horrible but it wasn't full-width on a widescreen TV, not even close, which ruined it for me. I don't get why they couldn't fix that for the re-release. I personally wouldn't get those DVDs, especially not for such ridiculous prices.

I really hope they release slightly reworked versions of the originals on Blu-Ray soon. Like, improve some things on the originals that are better on the reworked ones but don't add stupid shit like "Greedo Shot First" or Young Anakin as a Force Ghost. So basically, just contact the guy who made the despecialized versions and release a box set cause I want to own these movies without going out of my way to get them.