The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

The best review I've seen on Facebook so far was basically "Its better than the prequels but more of a commercial for more Star Wars than anything"

I'll see it in a few weeks. Tuesday matinee or some shit when no one else is there. I have no emotional investment in the series, but I'm sure if I smoke a bowl in the parking lot and stop at the Beer World across next to the theater in mall I'll have fun. I know the whole plot already, but who gives a shit?

Think it's being way overhyped. I'll agree it was better than the recent trilogy but that's about it and not a very high bar.

It's basically the same storyline as Episode IV with a whiny Darth Vader. Also agree while occasionally funny the constant attempt to be humorous took away from the drama and action. Obviously there is more to come with Rey's backstory but the did a shitty job of at least generally explaining who she is (meaning, we didn't get the full backstory with Rylo but at least they sort of explain who he is and how he got there).

Poe and Fin were tight. The rest of it bordered on pandering to Star Wars fans.

Think it's being way overhyped. I'll agree it was better than the recent trilogy but that's about it and not a very high bar.

It's basically the same storyline as Episode IV with a whiny Darth Vader. Also agree while occasionally funny the constant attempt to be humorous took away from the drama and action. Obviously there is more to come with Rey's backstory but the did a shitty job of at least generally explaining who she is (meaning, we didn't get the full backstory with Rylo but at least they sort of explain who he is and how he got there).

Poe and Fin were tight. The rest of it bordered on pandering to Star Wars fans.

Poe was one of my least favorite parts (besides Rylo, that was mostly poor casting as far as I'm concerned). He seemed like he's the replacement Han, supposed to be brash and a little funny, but he wasn't roguish enough. Just came off cheesy.

I agree that it was pretty much a carbon copy of the original, I was reeeeeally pissed at first when I saw another "Death Star" on the poster. I think it's mostly being used as a setup for the next two, which is kind of a bummer and a waste of a movie, but I still liked it equally as much or more than RotJ. I'm not as upset at the lack of Rey's backstory, because I know it's coming in ep viii, but I wish they'd played Rylo as more hateful than such a whiny crybaby. The lightsaber tantrums were awful.

Poe was one of my least favorite parts (besides Rylo, that was mostly poor casting as far as I'm concerned). He seemed like he's the replacement Han, supposed to be brash and a little funny, but he wasn't roguish enough. Just came off cheesy.

I agree that it was pretty much a carbon copy of the original, I was reeeeeally pissed at first when I saw another "Death Star" on the poster. I think it's mostly being used as a setup for the next two, which is kind of a bummer and a waste of a movie, but I still liked it equally as much or more than RotJ. I'm not as upset at the lack of Rey's backstory, because I know it's coming in ep viii, but I wish they'd played Rylo as more hateful than such a whiny crybaby. The lightsaber tantrums were awful.

I do agree they left some things for episode vii but I don't give them a pass for that. Episode IV set up V nicely while still being an amazing flick. Judging this film independently.

Nailed it. 

Kylo is no Anakin, but he is pretty bad. He reminds me of J.P. from Grandma's Boy. I'm into Snoke, though.

I just wish he didn't take the mask off or wasn't an established actor.

Both of these things.

i was bummed to recognize a few other faces in the cast as well. To me, Star Wars is supposed to be relatively unknown actors. It really takes me out of it when I see people I recognize (other than returning characters) especially if I recall them in a comedic role

Well, got my first view in. I think my body broke as I had goosebumps basically the entire first half of the film.

My thoughts:

Loved seeing the classic characters. That one scene (YOU know which) was crazy. Score was amazing. And was that REALLY what Mark Hamill was supposed to keep quiet about? Was expecting something "bigger".

But coming away from it, I almost feel like there's just something missing... and yes, it followed episode IV very closely, maybe as a homage? But I was kinda wanting something "new".

Yeah they should stick with unknowns like Alec Guiness and Ewan McGregor.

Guess that's part of the reason I hated the prequel trilogy. ;)

As far as Guiness, yeah, he's well known, but I'd guess most people in my (our?) age group, Star Wars was their first exposure to him. He'll never just be his characters in Laerence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, et al, to me, but Obi-Wan. And even though those were important roles, I'm sure Obi-Wan how most people recognize him at this point.

(Plus with the beard he at least looks pretty different.)