Giveaway time!

So Ive recently acquired a box of Misfits Horror Xmas vinyl and decided to give some of the extras away to some of the good people on VC. These are the Blue Christmas ones on half green half red vinyl. 

How to enter: 

Leave a reply with Your favorite Misfits era (Danzig or Graves) and why. Also post your favorite Misfits record you own!

Good luck! 2 winners will be chosen on the 3rd.

I may be posting more free Misfits stuff in the coming weeks/year so stay tuned!

Danzig era. Walk Among Us is a solid album, and it cast a large influence on so many bands that came after them. Plus I feel like all of the cool stories I have heard about them as people are from that era. (fights, etc)

All I have is the boring black variant of Walk Among Us from a recent pressing. No cool variant here. *Insert sad face Crimson Skull here*

I actually prefer Michael Graves era stuff. I understand the Danzig stuff is much more "classic" and I like it too, but I prefer Graves.

I'd have to say I like American Psycho more than Famous Monsters. Don't Open Till Doomsday is such a great song.

The only time I've got a chance to see The Misfits, Michael Graves couldn't make it into Canada so Jerry Only did the vocals. It was actually really, really good! I think that would have been in 2000 or 2001.

Danzig era.

I used to own a lot of Misfits on vinyl and cassette, but sadly have none left other than the coffin box set.

Fun fact: at San Diego Comic Con back in '95 Danzig invited me to the Verotik private party. I taught him how to use a cigarette lighter to open a beer. 

We all got kicked out right as the lesbian strippers with suitcases full of sex toys showed up.

Good times. Or, almost good times.

I prefer the Danzig era. Graves and Only have both kind of watered down the Misfits legacy, I think - Michale is a Republican and Jerry is like, religious now, or some shit. Danzig on the other hand is still a motherfucker. 

The only Misfits I have on vinyl is Collection II, because variant collecting - or even trying to pick up any original pressings - for these guys is just too expensive for me. Maybe someday. 

Always a fan of the Danzig era but the Graves era was/is a personal favorite.  I had the pleasure of sitting in on a record store party with Graves and Dr. Chud.  Acoustic guitars, whiskey, beer, misfits songs and graves songs all night after the store closed.  Still a great memory.  Glad that night got recorded on cd.  I play it every so often. So after listening to the Danzig misfits for decades, I was stoked when American Psycho came out and grew on me the most.  

Danzig had more good songs than Graves because he was in the band longer and they produced the most material, but "Famous Monsters" is the most consistently badass Misfits record. I definitely prefer Michale Graves a vocalist, even his solo stuff is awesome. The thing about "Famous Monsters" is that pretty much any song could be your favorite; there's totally nothing wrong with early Misfits, obviously, but Danzig's albums had a lot of filler in some places. "Famous Monsters" (and "American Psycho," to a large extent) was just all killer riffs, big stadium-sized choruses, and probably most importantly it contains "Saturday Night," which isn't only the best Misfits song but also one of my favorite songs of all time (I wrote a short story based on the song for my university's writing journal). And seriously, considering his age when he joined the band, Graves could've probably stuck around a lot longer and saved the band from producing the half-assed punk-by-numbers embarrassment that was "The Devil's Rain." I saw them play in Pensacola last December, with Jerry Only as the vocalist, and the collective eye-roll that took place when this version of the band tried to tackle Graves-era songs stays with me to this day.

In short, Michale Graves rules. My favorite Misfits record I own is the "Famous Monsters" picture disc. The album cover is kind of cheesy but perfect for the music.

Danzig era, since I'm old.  If I were younger and all I knew were the new Misfits I might like that more.

Favorite record: Earth AD.  I hated this record when I first heard it in 1989.  I didn't sound like the Misfits I knew from Collection I or Walk Among Us.  As time went on, I grew to appreciate it. 

If i had to pick it would be the Danzig era.  I really dug the graves era but grew up with the Danzig so he has the edge.  My first cd bought was legacy of brutality and actually traded it back in saying i didn't like it.  ended up listening to Walk among us about a year later and I was hooked.  started buying everything i could find buy these guys. 

My fave record to listen to is Earth A.D.

My favorite record in my collection is my white 3 hits from hell.  I couldn't find my pic of it so i figure i would just upload my latest pic i took from instagram.  A little outdated so i have a few to add.

33m8y1v.jpg

People keep asking me where I got this box, the answer is: Jerry Only himself. We met at the AP awards and he also is friends with the singer of the band I work for. We live about 20 minutes from each other in NJ so we remained friends and he is honestly the nicest guy in the world. We saw them in Louisville on an off day during the last tour and honestly, it was pretty good. The Danzig era will always be my favorite and I'll always love his solo/Samhain stuff, but I'd listen to Jerry and the current band play those songs again. Sure its a little more family friendly, but its still super fun to go see. So because he always gives me a ton of shit when I see him, I'll be giving it out to some people on here. 

Famous monsters is a great record, and probably my favorite Graves release. Scream is an incredibly catchy song. Big fan of Fiend Club too.

aviolentworld Ill give you one of my personal copies because 3 hits from hell was the first Misfits release I heard and Im jealous that you have physical copies. Also because Earth AD is probably my favorite to listen to and your collection is pretty impressive so Id like to add to it (Dont worry people Im still giving away 2 more!) 

Man oh man, the Misfits. I have the Crimson ghost tattooed in my armpit, true story.

My favorite era has got to be Danzig's run. Though I do really enjoy Graves' voice, and American Psycho is a fantastic record, it was the Danzig era that originally got me. I remember being 13 and just moving to a bigger town and having no friends; this kid I thought was the coolest, Cody, had all these band names sharpied on his backpack and he would wear Misfits shirts. I knew I had to be friends with this guy. I used a 25 dollar best buy gift card and had my mom drive me to pick up Collection II, because it was the only one they had in stock. I listed to that CD every damn day. Eventually I hung out with Cody, only to find out that him and his mom were insanely racist, so I never hung out with him again.

To this day, my plain old copy of Collection II remains my favorite because it really has been an important part of shaping me through those awkward teenage years.

Danzig era. It was all I listened to growing up. I also have a Chrimson Ghost tattoo. It's not good. Never get a tattoo from a guy that doesn't know immediately what you mean when you say you want a Chrimson Ghost tattoo. All tattooers should be familiar with the Misfits.

That being said, I'm in the "Dig Up Her Bones" video a couple times, so I've got a soft-spot for the Graves Stuff.

aviolentworld Ill give you one of my personal copies because 3 hits from hell was the first Misfits release I heard and Im jealous that you have physical copies. Also because Earth AD is probably my favorite to listen to and your collection is pretty impressive so Id like to add to it (Dont worry people Im still giving away 2 more!) 

oh shit you're the man.  i will pm you in a bit.

Danzig era. Way back when I was a wee youngin' learning about good music, I started working at Burger King. My manager who hired me noticed I had on a Nine Inch Nails hat. We started talking about different bands and he asked me if I ever heard of The Misfits. Being so unpunk at the time I said no and he gave me the Legacy Of Brutality tape. I popped it in my shitty car deck and heard Angelfuck and my life was changed. For realz. Punx upped from then on.

I think my favorite album I own is the Earth A.D. cassette. It was the first one I bought myself and damn it was a rager. Still have it too. 20 some years later....