Your favorite-sounding record?

Hey everyone, new to the club here. I know we all have different reasons probably for collecting/listening to vinyl, but for me, the single-biggest reason is the SOUND of the music on this medium. Most specifically, the drums... when I listen to records, on a properly-mastered release, it sounds like I'm right in front of the drummer in the studio. And if mixed right, the other instruments just pop out of the speakers as if you are right there in the room with them as they played.

Anyway, this being said, what is your favoring SOUNDING record?

For me, the answer is without question "Wavering Radiant" by Isis.

First off, the record is mastered loudly, so the sound just jumps out of the speakers. But its just something about the way this record was mastered that makes the material so vibrant and tactile. The dynamics of the songs are so much more impactful.

It really hit me how much better the vinyl version is when I was listening to "Hand of The Host" when it got to the doomy post-rock breakdown part towards the end of the song. The BASS GUITAR just fucking oozed out of my speakers. It's an experience I'll never forget.

Anyway, I want to hear what you guys have to say as far as your favorite-sounding record, and why you love it!

i always wonder what makes for a good pressing. Some records I have sound amazing on vinyl, and some are just kind of whatever. Sometimes the dynamics are truly spectacular, like the Isis records, or sometimes the mastering allows new instruments to come out and be heard for the first time.

This happened to me with Opeth - Deliverance, and actually the original pressing of The Wall. On "Young Lust" I heard some organ parts in the background and some delay effects on the guitar that I never knew were there. Its amazing what vinyl can reveal when done properly.

What do you like, specifically, about that Petty record man?

The mastering of the original actate that makes the stampers that press the grooves into the vinyl is going to be the biggest factor of the finished copies sound. The second would be what copy you get in the run. What I mean by that is, stampers only get about 1000 records made before the stampers are beat to shit and new stampers need to be made. If you get a record that was early in the run, from a fresh stamper, it's going to sound better than a record that was pressed from a stamper that has been through hundreds of pressings.

I love my Petty album because it's extremly quitet. The sound of vocals and instruments are extremly bright and fresh.

Radiohead-Amnesiac (uk).. feels like almost zero compression was used.  Such a lively record that jumps from the speakers.

Pink Floyd-Darkside of the Moon (MFSL) Just amazing.. such a thrilling album and this presentation does it complete justice.

Sublime self-titled Back to Black pressing, Mastodon "Blood Mountain", Counting Crows "August and Everything After", Jimmy Eat World "Static Prevails" (SRC) and "Clarity" (SRC), the list is too long. 

what counting crows pressing are you talking about.. i should really pick up this record.

The mastering of the original actate that makes the stampers that press the grooves into the vinyl is going to be the biggest factor of the finished copies sound. The second would be what copy you get in the run. What I mean by that is, stampers only get about 1000 records made before the stampers are beat to shit and new stampers need to be made. If you get a record that was early in the run, from a fresh stamper, it's going to sound better than a record that was pressed from a stamper that has been through hundreds of pressings.

No shit.... that makes perfect sense, but I would have never thought about that.

Because I just got my vinyl copy of Russian Circles "Memorial" the other day, which is from Sargent House, and I was kind of bummed that I wasn't blown away by the material. The digital copy actually I think I like better... which is super weird. I got that album because the first 2 real songs, "Deficit" and "1777" are some of my new favorite songs, and I was like "oh man I bet these will sound SOOO much better on vinyl!"

But the mastering is kind of weird. Very stiff sounding. Very weird reverb. The drums sound live and okay, but... I don't know. Maybe I'll have to revisit and see how I feel again, but I was underwhelmed.

I got the clear vinyl version too, but I don't think that really makes much of a difference.

I love my Petty album because it's extremly quitet. The sound of vocals and instruments are extremly bright and fresh.

This is going to be A factor.

But how it was recorded,  mastered and mixed is going to have a bigger play. You cant turn a 4 track bedroom recording into audiophile

Compression has a lot to do with it also and can kill a dynamic range

The pressing plant quality control can really ruin anything(I am looking at you United and GZ)

I love my Counting Crows - August And Everything After (Analogue Productions - 200g, 45 rpm).

Another one I've always loved was Fitz And The Tantrums - More Than Just A Dream. It just always sounded fantastic on the table.

My copy of Frank Sinatra & Count Basie's It Might As Well Be Swing sounds great too. The bass is nice. Those are just a few. 

The UK version of White Stripes' Elephant has to be on this list for me. Jack White's new material just sounds underwhelmed compared to my Stripes pressings. I still go out and grab the new stuff, but it just hasn't been comparable as of yet. 

I have a copy of Nathan Phillips - Postcard that for some reason just sounds perfect to me.  The album as a whole is pretty quiet, really soft acoustic, piano, little percussion, etc.  Whenever I put this record on, it's one of only a few in my collection that I legitimately feel like the band is playing directly in front of me.  It's just uncanny to my brain, haha.

The latest Jakob album sounds fantastic. The bass hits so heavy & is one of my favorites.

Every Cloudkicker vinyl I own destroys any digital download I have.

I don't own this one anymore but the first press of A Great Big Pile of Leaves "Prefrontal" was always one of the best sounding albums I've ever owned. Really impressive from a relatively unknown band & record label (Sinking Ships).

Finally, the last two Muse albums were pressed on 2x 180g LPs & are the best ways to listen to those albums.

(Also, not trying to be that guy, but...)

Brand New - The Devil And God.. 180g black

Brand New - Daisy 180g black

The MOV Devil and God does sound really great. 

Sublime self-titled Back to Black pressing, Mastodon "Blood Mountain", Counting Crows "August and Everything After", Jimmy Eat World "Static Prevails" (SRC) and "Clarity" (SRC), the list is too long. 

Those Jimmy reissues too. 

My contributions are Fantastic Planet by Failure, the new Ágætis byrjun reissue by Sigur Ros and the MOV Once soundtrack.

Shelby Lynne - Just A Little Lovin' - Analogue Productions standard pressing

http://www.discogs.com/Shelby-Lynne-Just-A-Little-Lovin/release/3594654

I bought 5 copies for our audio/record store, they all sold in two days. There's a 45RPM press that I need as well. I can't imagine this album sounding better but I still have to have it. 

Also, a couple that haven't been mentioned: Atoms For Peace - AMOK, Devin Townsend Project - Ki, Jesus Lizard - Goat (original).