etiquette for requesting replacements for records

So.... I need some help here.

I just received in the mail over the last 2 days my first ever "you have GOT to be fucking kidding me..." packages, and I need some help with how to proceed.

The first one has a significant bend on the package as well as mashed corners. I'm assuming its my copy of Lights and Motion - "Chronicle" LP.

The 2nd that just came today, the most egregious packaging destruction I have ever seen, is my pre-order copy of Latitudes - The Agonist.

Should I even dare to open these?

Never had to deal with this before... every record I've ever gotten has been greatly packaged, but both of these came in loosely folded-over floppy cardboard.

I've got pictures of everything... what's the right way to proceed here? Do I have cause to request replacements if these got fucked up because of the packaging and shipping?

http://imgur.com/di7ESU8

http://imgur.com/BbZvLX0

I've received a few packages that looked like they were stomped on in transit. Opened up and the records were snapped in half. I've had great luck in getting replacements directly from the labels I ordered from. Never had a problem worth complaining about to a private seller or distro so I haven't had to cross that bridge.

Today, when my mailman dropped off my package, he had a five o'clock shadow and bloodshot eyes...I've never seen him so agitated and disheveled. Should I just call Amazon and ask for a refund? Or should I go outside and see how the package is first?

Unfortunately a lot of European labels/distros use those mailers. When you think of the journey those things have had to get to your front door, I don't think "are you fucking kidding me?" is necessarily the right reaction. That being said, absolutely open them up to check them out. If they're just corner dings, they're probably inevitable. I mean, yeah, it'd be great if better mailers were used, but there are a lot of risks involved in ordering internationally. If the damage is severe enough, the label/distro you ordered from would be glad to replace damaged jackets/records.

Word yeah these are both from labels, which is hilarious. Everything I've ever gotten directly from people is shipped amazing. These... are laughable.

Never buying from Shels Music or Voice Of The Unheard Again.

Just opened the Latitudes record... aside from a massive seamsplit, this record is fine.

However, the Lights and Motion record is fucking jacked with a huge warped bend on it. Ugh.

Castleface once shipped me something that looked like it was stomped on. I sent them an email and got a replacement. On an international shipment, id probably complain, but there is inherent risk.

On the flip side, I just shipped a sealed RSD album from last year to someone and they complained it's warped. I don't know if I'm an idiot for not unpackaging it first or if that is a sellers risk? I am careful with packaging and storage and know records can be warped during shipping or at the plant.

What's the proper way to handle this?

Just email the seller(s) with photos and don't be a spazz. Most labels/distro want you to have a good experience and will send you a replacement. If you get any shit just open a PayPal claim and wash your hands in it. Pretty simple really.

In the case of the seam split, if it's not completely screwed then just suck it up. Not like a cosmetic ding on the sleeve will effect the record's playability.

yeah if the Latitudes record jacket wasn't that super-thick tip-on or whatever it's called (think Isis Oceanic and Panopticon remasters) then that thing would have been destroyed. Thankfully it just has some bent corners. I can live with it. The record sounds great.

The Lights and Motion LP is warped... playing it now, the needle looks like its riding a roller coaster.

yeah if the Latitudes record jacket wasn't that super-thick tip-on or whatever it's called (think Isis Oceanic and Panopticon remasters) then that thing would have been destroyed. Thankfully it just has some bent corners. I can live with it. The record sounds great.

The Lights and Motion LP is warped... playing it now, the needle looks like its riding a roller coaster.

Now you know that you can skip to opening them, trying them out, and deciding for yourself what you're OK with, like you have.  There is no clause that says if you open the package or record, that you can't seek a refund so the pre-worrying is a waste.  

Now, get your replacement on that second LP, son.

Castleface once shipped me something that looked like it was stomped on. I sent them an email and got a replacement. On an international shipment, id probably complain, but there is inherent risk.

On the flip side, I just shipped a sealed RSD album from last year to someone and they complained it's warped. I don't know if I'm an idiot for not unpackaging it first or if that is a sellers risk? I am careful with packaging and storage and know records can be warped during shipping or at the plant.

What's the proper way to handle this?

The buyer should know that sealed records have a risk of being defective or warped. You had absolutely no reason to believe that the records were warped, so it's not your fault.

Where did you sell the album at? If you sold it at a music marketplace like Discogs or Gemm, I think they have something that says that the buyer assumes all the risk on sealed items. But if you sold it elsewhere, I don't know. It's a lose/lose situation. :/

Vinyl Digital once mailed me a record that arrived without a box around it. Was pretty awesome. It had a PO stuck under the plastic sleeve so the post office found me using that with a sticker they placed on it that said "found loose in mail".

It looked as if it someone had set in on asphalt, got a running start before jumping on it, then slid on it like it was an asphalt wake board.

Vinyl Digital said they would send me a new copy but I never received anything. Maybe that one didn't even make it outta the country.

I know this story didn't help you any but I feel a lot better now that I've gotten it off my chest. My wife immediately adopts a comatose look whenever I say anything about records to her so I have to get all my stories out here. Thanks for reading.

The buyer should know that sealed records have a risk of being defective or warped. You had absolutely no reason to believe that the records were warped, so it's not your fault.

Where did you sell the album at? If you sold it at a music marketplace like Discogs or Gemm, I think they have something that says that the buyer assumes all the risk on sealed items. But if you sold it elsewhere, I don't know. It's a lose/lose situation. :/

This is exactly my thoughts. It was through discogs. In my personal opinion, if I'm buying something sealed, that's the risk. If it's opened and not disclosed, that's another story.

Thanks for chiming in...

• 3 weeks later...

So Voice Of the Unheard is sending me another copy of "Chronicle" for free.... which is super awesome.

But its weird, because I felt so fucking bad when I got the dude's reply email after I sent him the initial message with pictures and everything. He was super apologetic, with lots of frowny faces.

And that all just made me feel bad, bringing negativity to this guy's life. I know its neither of our faults (could he have used a better package? Maybe.) But I don't ever want to bring bummer stuff on anybody, ever, and I know that this instance cost him money and and brought negativity to his life that wasn't there before.

He also said another US customer had the same issue as well, which is interesting.

The dude who sold me the Rosetta CD that got melted has shown zero effort in wanting to fix things, though. Grrrr